GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,473
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, gregrasusasda62
» Online Users: 2,078
2 members and 2,076 guests
LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-19-2000, 11:57 AM
Left out??

Question BGLO parties

I am a little older than the average college student, however, I would like to pledge. I plan on getting involved in campus activities as well as the activities of my sorority of choice (I will be transferring to this particular school in the Fall). I am aware that you should participate in as many functions given by the sorority before pledging, however, I am not a "partier" and was wondering if it would look bad to the members of the sorority if I did not party with them. I am a lot more concerned with the community involvement and philanthropy than partying. Please don't misunderstand me, I would love hanging out and spending time with the sorority sisters, but the whole party scene (drinking, smoking, etc.) doesn't interest me at all. Is this bad?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-19-2000, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

that shouldn't be a problem, the last thing we should look for is how many parties someone attends, we care about the support of our activities and projects, grades etc. i've never seen that as an issue.
Old 06-19-2000, 02:05 PM
c&c1913

Talking

Blue Reign,
You hit the nail right on the head!

Also, AKAtude's situation is the same as mine. When parties were held on campus facilities, drinking and smoking were a definite no-no. And guess what, the parties were just as fun and safer than attending unsupervised house parties.

[This message has been edited by c&c1913 (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-19-2000, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Don't feel left out! I rarely went to parties when I was in college. They weren't really for me. I went to more parties after I crossed because I wanted to support my fellow greeks. I would be surprised if any of the organizations cared if you showed up to parties are not. I would MUCH rather see an interested woman at a community service event than a party!!

ZetaAce
Old 06-20-2000, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I NEVER attended an AKA party or any other organization's parties until after I pledged. I only attended parties when it revolved around step shows. I'm not a big party person so when my friends went out, I stayed in my room watching tv or catching up on some work.

And you know what? I don't think they even noticed I was never there! However, they did take notice of the other activities and events I attended.

I would like to add that on my campus, the BGLOs held parties at a facility on our campus under the watchful eyes of graduate advisors and members of campus security. Our parties did not involve smoking, drinking, etc.
Old 06-20-2000, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Since you say that you are not a partier, please don't feel "left out". What looks bad is the people who go to all of the parties and hardly attend any community service functions. I've seen many people do this and they are indeed "left out"

------------------
BE POSITIVE!!!

[This message has been edited by BlueReign (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old 06-20-2000, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Dag Lefttout I was reading your posts and I swear I had to reread them because they are so similar to my situations! I too am a little older than most people that pledge and I was wondering about things of that nature myself. I have been given great advice so far from so many people and I will share it with you. As far as my age I was at once worried about being older than the other girls that may pledge or even older than those that would be Pledging me! Many many people have said that it would not be a big issue, I am totally okay with it now. As far as parties I have been to some but I am def not a every weekend partier and its like someone said earlier unless someone is doing something off the wall to bring attention to themselves, the girls in the sorority would most likely not notice if you were at their parties or not. They really do notice if you have participated in their comm serv projects and things of that nature. I KNOW THAT THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM BUT......... as far as your baby goes its really all about time management. If you think that you can handle all three then I say go for it (I know I am)! I wish you much success in your quest!
Old 06-20-2000, 09:13 AM
Left out??

Thank you all so much for your replies. I was became worried after reading other posts about wild parties and drinking. Is this more prevalent among GLO's than BGLO's?

Prettygyrl:

Really?? It feels good to know that someone out there knows what it's like to be in my shoes. I would love to hear the advice that has been given to you regarding this situation. Please e-mail me or post on this board, whichever is more comfortable for you. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2000, 09:22 AM
Left out??

Smile

I'm sorry, my email addy is Wynnakt@cs.com
Hope to hear from you soon!
Old 06-21-2000, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

First, not all parties involve drinking and smoking, in fact most of them don't, especially if they are on a "dry" campus. But don'tt worry about that. Just make sure you are there for what counts and there are far too many out there at the parties that don't make it to the community service projects and that needs to stop.
Old 06-21-2000, 06:10 PM
Proud Greek

Left out? Keep attending community events, because this is really what we look for. As for being older, remember to keep an open mind. They will respect you for having a little more knowledge and trust me, if you make it they will look up to you and understand if you don't want to be down with every 19 and 21 year old party. After you first cross you may attend a few just so the whole line can be seen together, but I say don't sweat it. Who knows, there may be more than one older student in the chapter. There will always be some activities where your age won't matter. Good luck cause we need more people who are not all about the parties!!
Old 06-23-2000, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I totally understand what you mean Leftout. I am becoming closer to Christ and it is getting hard for me to participate in party like activities. However, I am the president of our AKA chapter on our campus and that means big representation at everything. I am at all of our parties but, I will be on the door taking money. Even to show others greek love, I will stop pass the party to donate money. This will show your unity and participation as well. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PARTY TO BE A GOOD SOROR OR FRAT. There are so many other things you can do for your organization besides a "party hop." I hope that helped out some!

GOD BLESS

Pinkice9

[This message has been edited by pinkice9 (edited June 23, 2000).]