GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,448
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Theanex
» Online Users: 2,310
2 members and 2,308 guests
flamboyanttree, Xidelt

Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile New things I learn & love more about my GLO everyday!!!

Those that know me have found that I work very hard for my Sorority. I serve as the chairman for 2 different high-ranking committees. At times, serving sometimes becomes a stress filled chore. I have to make some people "my special project" and do soulwork to again, rise to the occasion and motivate myself to do some activities.

For example, I have successfully planned as the chairman for a Health Forum in my chapter and city for 3 years. But for 2008, I just was burnt out for the volunteer effort to make these events occurs, so I let go of the chairmanship.

My chapter hierarchy determined an new chairman. I was happy there was another one found due to our MOU's with several health resource organizations. However, if she was not on the "inside track", how was going to catch up?

Well, somehow, my chapter was approved an Health event that is monstrous in nature, but it can utilize and leverage many of our resources already built. And although I was ancy, I finally spoke to my soror thinking she did not care about all the work I had done previously... Well, we talked for 2 hours!!! What were our thoughts on the best course of actions to pursue and I barely knew her...

What I learned and loved about my Sorority today was that as sorors we help each other and we collaborate to make it work best for the Sorority and the chapter!

Why this important? Because after encountering entirely too much negativity in my life recently, connecting with my soror in the way I did was reassuring to boost my faith in people and my relationships and my Sorority.

What do you learn and love more about your GLO everyday? If you are not greek, what do you learn and love more about your organizations that you serve? Or you school? Or your job?

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2008, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I am thankful for being involved in organizations that have afforded me the opportunity to grow personally, professionally, and spiritually. There were talents I did not know I had, but because of circumstances, activities, events or people, I have been able to sharpen skills, broaden my horizons and have become a better person!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the sisterhood aspect of our sorority! I just love talking with an being amongst such wonderful women who are automatically my sisters and with whom I have an automatic connection. I also love the confidence ... and it rubs off. I recall being a woman interested in the sorority and talking to a member and the way that she was just so confident - even when it came to being confident *in me* and *my capabilities* - I tell you, it was just striking to me and I loved it instantly. It is contagious and I try to place in other women sorors and non-sorors alike that confidence in them that I saw her place in me!! It works wonders for the human spirit.

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
I am thankful for being involved in organizations that have afforded me the opportunity to grow personally, professionally, and spiritually. There were talents I did not know I had, but because of circumstances, activities, events or people, I have been able to sharpen skills, broaden my horizons and have become a better person!
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

YES!!!!

I experienced that recently. When I learned that I would become Principal this summer, I experienced so many emotions. My mother, mentor, chapter members, close college friends (all sorors) etc GOT IN MY A** when the trepidation came on. I was reminded WHO I was, WHOSE I was and that the blood oozing through my veins says that this type of appointment has ALWAYS had and will always have my name on it. One soror straight broke it down and I haven't looked back SINCE.

I've always been one, especially where Sorors are concerned to speak that Ivy way (if you will)! But, sometimes, you need it spoken to you or broken down FOR you.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, first of all - CONGRATULATIONS!
That is just PHENOMENAL. You're going to become Principal?? So impressive!

Second of all, yes, we need it spoken to us sometimes. It is SO powerful!! That ivy way!!

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
YES!!!!

I experienced that recently. When I learned that I would become Principal this summer, I experienced so many emotions. My mother, mentor, chapter members, close college friends (all sorors) etc GOT IN MY A** when the trepidation came on. I was reminded WHO I was, WHOSE I was and that the blood oozing through my veins says that this type of appointment has ALWAYS had and will always have my name on it. One soror straight broke it down and I haven't looked back SINCE.

I've always been one, especially where Sorors are concerned to speak that Ivy way (if you will)! But, sometimes, you need it spoken to you or broken down FOR you.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Great minds think alike

I LOVE that every Soror I know or get to know is a woman of ideals and ideas. I am proud everyday to hear the great AKAmplishments of local Sorors, GC Sorors, and Sorors worldwide. If AKAs weren't working towards becoming attorneys (Soror SKEE), planning charities (Soror Karen), starting commercial businesses (Soror A.M), writing books, becoming physicians (Soror Cynthia), and so much more I think there's a good chance the world would stop turning.

Great minds talk about ideas, Average minds talk about things, Small minds talk about other people. --Unknown