GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,480
3 members and 2,477 guests
GammaGirl1908, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-12-2003, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Would You Run For Office?

Would you like to be an elected official? If yes, at what level or what office??? What would make you a good official? Personally, I would not like to be a politician, but I would like to work for a
U. S. Senator or other elected official.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-12-2003, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

No, not only no, but hell NO!

Ran for Mayor of a smaller City suburb of KC Metro Area.

Ran for City Council of Kansas City, Ks.

Thank God I lost.

One of My Chapter was Mayor of a KC Suburb Town and did a heck of a job and lost for reelection. Short term memory by the voters.

Another Brother from again of my Chapter ran for Mayor of Greeley Co. He lost a close race. He to is glad and will not run for an elected position again.

Being a poloticion is becoming a profession, not an advocation!

That seems to be the total problem anymore. It is a Vipers pit and no matter what party someone is they get in to office and that is the most important thing. Well, that and staying in a power place in life.

Take a deep breath and re think!

Oh, just a short addition, 2 of my guys were legislatures in the Kansas Senate, and one is an Aide to a NJ Senator.

Guess basically, it just proves that Greeks are still prone to try to run things and hopefully do good!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 11-12-2003 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I would run for local school board. I currently work as a teacher and I would love a position where I could work to improve the local school system.

Other than that, I would never run for elected office. It just seems that the spirit of public service has left politics (if it ever existed) and it has turned into a bizarre power struggle and media circus.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I dont know if I would like to be in a so called higher elected position.. but since I am going into local govt stuff as an urban planner.. maybe one day I would like to sit on the planning commission or town council.. who knows though what i will end up doing..

i think that i could make a good elected official.. would i like to be talked about all the time, who knows, as guess as its only good stuff..

me and my friend always laugh about what kind of stuff they would dig up about us if we were ever in that position.. lord only knows
Old 11-13-2003, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
In Canada, perhaps.

In the United States? Not on your LIFE. US politics isn't about ideals anymore - it's about making the opposition look cruel and heartless, e.g., "the Democrats want to tax the hell out of the little person"/"the Republicans want us all to starve to death". Politics aren't about ideas or ideologies, and they certainly aren't about having pride in being a public citizen. They aren't even about serving your constituencies anymore.

Plus, in US politics, things that should be kept private about the candidate's private life often become a matter of public record, even when those things have no bearing on whether the official in question is capable of doing his or her job.

I used to really want to run for public office when I lived in the US - but these days.. I dunno. You'd either have to be a fool, terribly naive, or an oblivious optimist to want to do it.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lionlove
I would run for local school board.
School board would be interesting if the local board had control of the district and the final say in policy. Here in CA, local boards have little direct control. For the most part, they exist to implement State mandates. I hope you do have the chance to serve someday.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I'm running for the Viceroyship of North America
Old 11-13-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethany1982
School board would be interesting if the local board had control of the district and the final say in policy. Here in CA, local boards have little direct control. For the most part, they exist to implement State mandates. I hope you do have the chance to serve someday.
That's too bad that local school boards have little autonomy. In MA, school boards do have to deal with state mandates such as bilingual education and graduation requirements but local boards have the power to do things like choose textbooks, set discipline policies and control the budget.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:13 PM
Banned

I'd like to aim for senator. I believe I can do what I put my mind to and that is one of my goals when I'm about 60. It could change later on but I hope not.

-Rudey
Old 11-13-2003, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to run for office - I'd want to be a US Senator, I think. Ideally I'd love to a judge of some sort, but I think my lobbying dreams might get in the way of that.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

I was being primed for political office, but decided it wasn't worth my life. There are SO MANY constrictions to running for & being in office! My parents were both in office, and I grew up in a political family.

I did run (and win) for Delegate to the Democratic National Convention, and was the youngest delegate that year.