GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,691
Threads: 115,417
Welcome to our newest member, eeasdark8938

Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^what ellebud said, plus all the other posters.

And *banging the drum I always bang* GRADES GRADES GRADES keep those grades up. Scholarship is so very important. Every single chapter values it and a case of senioritis can torpedo a recruitment if the GPA plummets.

We look forward to helping, there are very wise people on these boards.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePNMMom View Post
Hello! My dd is a Senior in high school this year and has planned on rushing at Bama since we took her to her first football game and she saw all the "pretty girls in the big houses" near the stadium.
I attended a small college out of state that did not have Greek life, so I know nothing about this. I have been following this site for the past week since we have some friends who have daughters that were PNMs at Bama during Rush last week. It has been so much fun and at times sad to read all of the different remarks. Thank you all for your heartfelt comments. I have learned so much in such a little time.

The reason for my post is that I am wondering if there is a guide to read or advice that you can give for us to begin to prepare for this process. I know that she has plenty of time and so much to still experience her Senior year, but it seems so overwhelming and I don't know how much help I will be to her, especially the recommendations.

I am a planner by nature, so until I can wrap my head around all of the things she is going to have to do to get ready for college and Rush, I'm probably going to drive myself crazy! I may need one of those drinks pictured at the beginning of this thread!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
You have time to help your daughter prepare for BAMA rush. My daughter is a sophomore, very involved with her old row sorority and they had a fantastic pledge class this year. It would help your daughter tremendously to go to Bama this coming year, stay with girls from your hometown and get to know girls at the various chapters . My daughter got her two top girls from her high school for her sorority this year by doing this very thing- she invited them to campus and made them feel welcome, helped them with parties in the Spring, etc etc. So much of the success at Bama is about personal contacts. Good luck. These are my observations over the past two years and how it REALLY works.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Skip the rush right book - you can get everything it says here on GC absolutely free.

Listen to bama.mom, and advise your daughter to be wary of the senior year slump - she needs to keep her grades up and her activities as well.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Do beware of the senior slump. I taught AP English a long time and had many of the same students two years in a row. They hit spring of that senior year, and many burn bridges they shouldn't. It hits so many parts of their lives. Grades do matter until the very end.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everything bama.mom said. My daughter just went through Rush at Bama. (She pledged KD!) She had at least one rec to every chapter - most of them she had two. We started getting those lined up in April & sent all the rec packets out in May/early June. We asked friends, family & anyone we knew that had been in a sorority to write a rec for her. All of them said yes & some even helped us get a rec for a sorority we didn't have a rec for. Have your daughter visit any friends she has at Bama now -during her Senior year of HS. My daughter visited 2 different friends in the fall & spring. She met girls in her friends' sorority and also in several other sororities. I would also encourage you to attend Greek Preview Wknd in the spring. There will be teas, parties, etc for future PNMs during that weekend. My daughter was invited to many of those as well - again a result of girls having met her when she visited her friends. When the girls she had met on her previous visits saw her during Rush - they already knew who she was. That's gotta help when the Houses are seeing possibly 1600 girls in a day. In a nutshell - she needs to get her name & her face out there - before Fall Rush even begins!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay - I seriously don't get this. According to the NPC results thread, quota was 83+5. How is it that SO MANY chapters got quota plus to the point that the plus was 20 or more? and not just one chapter was like that - there are many. Um....RFM?

I thought I finally understood how this worked, but now I'm baffled.

Last edited by amanda6035; 08-18-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

me too!

what is RFM?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
Okay - I seriously don't get this. According to the NPC results thread, quota was 83+5. How is it that SO MANY chapters got quota plus to the point that the plus was 20 or more? and not just one chapter was like that - there are many. Um....RFM?

I thought I finally understood how this worked, but now I'm baffled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewozowski View Post
me too!

what is RFM?
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=Release

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...uota+additions

I think the high numbers of QAs means that UA is working to place as many PNMs who maximize their options. Remember, everyone who does is eligible to be matched as a QA.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I think the high numbers of QAs means that UA is working to place as many PNMs who maximize their options. Remember, everyone who does is eligible to be matched as a QA.
I guess I don't understand why there are still so many that "have" to be placed because they maximized their options IF RFM is working as it should. If there are that many PNMs being invited back to multiple preference parties and multiple chapters hit quota before all of them are placed, then it sounds like those chapters invited too many PNMs to preference....
Old 08-18-2010, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

The intent of RFM is to help maintain a balance in member numbers between chapters, promote realistic placements, but not to cut down on the number of total women placed, right?

My take on Bama are there are SO MANY women going through that it's either cut even heavier and have more women released completely (making it more challenging to become greek there) or just keep absorbing the huge new member classes and place as many women as possible. If I was a PNM, I would so much rather be one of the 20+ who was added on instead of cut completely. Good thing Bama is bringing in DG!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I was looking through the rest of the Bama New Member lists, and, bless her Yankee heart, I spotted a girl from my hometown of Madison, Wisconsin (she went Phi Mu)!
Congrats to all!

TEII
Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought that the extra members were because campus Panhellenic raised total due to DG colonizing in Fall 2011 and houses were then able to bid up to total?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, the +5 was not the quota addition number. Freshman quota was 83 and upperclass quota was 5 which is stated as 83 + 5 for a total of 88.

Now, the reason some groups received more quota additions is that quota is based on the number that will place the most women and have the most chapters make quota (freshman quota). The computer program runs several options and settles on one. So it may be that one group would only pledge quota and the remaining groups would get quota additions.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I thought that the extra members were because campus Panhellenic raised total due to DG colonizing in Fall 2011 and houses were then able to bid up to total?
Me too. I thought that Chapter Total was set at Average Chapter Size which was a 43 member increase over the previous year. (225 to 268) I assumed that Panhellenic decided to use FR as away to help chapters get to 268. There was already an available pool of PNMs. Adding 43 or more outside of FR is a daunting task anyway. Been there, done that, it ain't no fun.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom14 View Post
Have your daughter visit any friends she has at Bama now -during her Senior year of HS. My daughter visited 2 different friends in the fall & spring. She met girls in her friends' sorority and also in several other sororities. I would also encourage you to attend Greek Preview Wknd in the spring. There will be teas, parties, etc for future PNMs during that weekend. My daughter was invited to many of those as well - again a result of girls having met her when she visited her friends.
All true, but you have to be INVITED to visit the houses and you have to be INVITED to these teas and parties during the preview weekend.
Not everybody gets invited.
Frankly, I wouldn't have let my daughter spend a weekend...a day, maybe, but no overnight visits.
Hey...I may be old, but I was a student, too, once. And I know what goes on. Not that your or my student ever did anything naughty.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 08-18-2010 at 12:51 PM.