GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,614
1 members and 2,613 guests
No Members online

Old 11-17-2000, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to pantal96
Wink Local becoming a National

Greeks,
I am a member of a local fraternity in upstate NY. We have been given the choice by our administration to either affiliate w/ a national or become national ourselves. We chose the latter of the two. We have over 77 years of history and do not want to lose or identity or alumni support. Yet, how long does the process of becoming a national take? what does it necessarily involve, and can we start a national w/ out another chapter?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-17-2000, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pantal96:
Greeks,
I am a member of a local fraternity in upstate NY. We have been given the choice by our administration to either affiliate w/ a national or become national ourselves. We chose the latter of the two. We have over 77 years of history and do not want to lose or identity or alumni support. Yet, how long does the process of becoming a national take? what does it necessarily involve, and can we start a national w/ out another chapter?

You have to have more than one chapter to become a national. Just by definition, if you only have one chapter, you are a local.

If you want to start a new national from the ground up, I would say that will take AT LEAST 10 years. Or am I misunderstanding your post? Do you mean there are nationals at your campus also and you have the choice of merging with them, or picking a new national to affiliate with?
Old 12-07-2000, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It seams to me that it is extremely difficult to start a national fraternity from the ground up. This is due to the large structure that eventually develops. In most cases national organizations were at one time local. I know mine was local for well over fourty years before they expanded.

Most universities that are requiring local to seek a national do this for a variety of resons. First, insurance. All national organization carry insurance. Second, accountability. Moast national organizations have a set of standards and policies. Fianlly, resources. National organizations exhist as a collection of Chapters. You have a headquarters that supports these Chapter. Provides services, support, suppplies, and answers questions.

As far as losing your history. If your Chapter chooses to join a national, you will be adding to the history. Your Alumni would have the option of going through initation into the national and it would be one more page in the history of your organization at your university. As I stated earlier most nationals were one time locals and many of the chapters in each organization were also at one time locals that decided a national organization was the right way to go.
Old 12-09-2000, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say this depends greatly upon what you hope to become as a national fraternity. Are you looking to become as big as the IFC groups, or merely large enough to fulfill the definition of being national?

Also, you hawe to take a hard look at what makes your fraternity different enough that other schools will want to affiliate with you, rather than an older, more established (as a national) group.

You might look for other locals in the same boat as your chapter and begin to bring such groups together as a new national. This is how some of the national groups began (by joining together locals that had very similiar ideas, purposes, characteristics, etc.).
Old 12-09-2000, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

pantal,

Becoming a national can take some time. Like 33girl said, it could take at least 10 years if not longer. My sorority is trying to establish itself as a national org. We have been around for 10 years and we only have 5 chapters. So as you can see, we still have a ways to go to considered be truly national. I think if you are trying to be considered national in the eyes of the NIC, you will need 13 chapters (someone correct me if I'm wrong) as well as some other criteria. But otherwise, you will need more than one chapter to be national.

I say go for becoming national. You've got too much history behind your org to affiliate with someone else. I mean, it's possible I'm sure to find another org that has your same principles and all, but it just seems like you'd be compromising a lot of history that you guys had (have) as a local. I would talk to people in your Greek Life office on more info about going national. Or if you'd like to hear from other sororities personally, I, or anyone else on this board, would be happy to help. Email me if you'd like to talk further. Good luck!

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi

[This message has been edited by ZChi4Life (edited December 09, 2000).]
Old 12-09-2000, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Quote:
...Yet, how long does the process of becoming a national take? what does it necessarily involve, and can we start a national w/ out another chapter?
Pantal,

Best wishes to your fraternity as you become a national.

Allow me to share my perspective re. how long it takes to form a national organization: my sorority (Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies) officially became a national organization in the late 90s, when Alpha Sigma Kappa had been in existence for 7 years. Two things happened in launching our organization on a National level: (1) the Alumnae of the lone chapter decided to set form a national organization, and (2) simultaneously, an interest group petitioned to form a new Chapter of Alpha Sigma Kappa at the University of Oklahoma. I'm sure there's legal paperwork that has to be filed in order to recognize the change in status for the organization.

I would think that in order to be a new national fraternity, you would have to expand to other campuses - otherwise, you'd be a local by definition. With 77 years of history, I bet you have a strong tradition and plenty of alumni support. Keep your alumni involved - help them evaluate what would make your tradition a valuable asset to other campuses, and start networking with them to get campus administrations and students interested. It's amazing how word of mouth can get people.

It's a lot of hard work, but ultimately, it is worth it. I continue to work hard for Alpha Sigma Kappa, and I'm pleased by our growth, nationally as well as on the chapter level.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Always
Seek
Knowledge
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 02-15-2001, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Greeks,

Hey Pantal I was just wondering if your fraternity is Theta Gamma?
Old 03-01-2001, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa

[This message has been edited by damasa (edited March 01, 2001).]
Old 03-14-2001, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
well 97 years ago my sorority started with the same problem of sorts. Our founders wanted a womens sorority on campus and they were asked to join another sorority and become a chapter but they decided to go ahead and start their own sorority. We are now a major member nationally of panhellenic, we were the first sorority to have a chapter in Canada AND Hawaii, we were also the first sorority to have a minimum GPA and the first to have our own philanthropy. Our organization was revolutionary to Greek Life and this might not have happened if we joined another sorority. I say go ahead and go national if you can, start small and you will do it, think of how amazing it would be to be a founding father of your national fraternity! Your name will be historical! On top of that you need to continue your traditions. I know a lot of schools in Upstate New York and I know there are a lot of smaller schools, call them and talk to the greek offices there. You can do it!!

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews
Old 03-20-2001, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to pantal96
Greeks,
Thank you for all your resposes. They have been very inspirational and helpful. I too, wish you the best in your future endeavors in Greek Life.
Respectfully,
Creepy Nick
TCB
Old 03-20-2001, 09:57 PM

pantal96,

So don't keep us in suspense - what did you guys decide to do?
Old 07-23-2001, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

gIVE IT TIME AND JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO BEST