GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,196
2 members and 2,194 guests
Cookiez17, oncegreek

Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
How about our NPHC sisters, are they in the midst of revamping any/all of their organizational rituals/traditions/standards for the sake of diversity, equity/equality and inclusion?

Perhaps ritual renovation is only to be performed by 'white' sororities afraid of losing the membership and approval of POC.
No one in an NPHC organization who comes to this board (all two of us) will disclose ANYTHING about our rituals to non-members, not even in a roundabout way, to humor the point you're trying to make.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I really thought most sororities had eliminated Christian references in ritual years ago so that women of other faiths could be pledged, especially Jewish women. I was aware that some still included them.
It depends what you define as a “Christian reference.”
Old 08-18-2020, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
No one in an NPHC organization who comes to this board (all two of us) will disclose ANYTHING about our rituals to non-members, not even in a roundabout way, to humor the point you're trying to make.
And I can assure I am not either....NPC member here - my ritual is sacred to me and I do not share..
Old 08-18-2020, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
All three* of us.

And nope. Not even a little bit. We don’t have anything to do with it.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I watched a live stream of my ritual this spring after a sister who saw this thread and knew me in real life contacted me. She told me that our organization had already changed part of the ritual. I knew without her telling me what it would be because it was profoundly Christian.

I was correct. It was a central part of the ritual, not just a passing comment. I can't explain why without giving too much away. But to remove it greatly weakened the ritual. If I now meet a sister who has been initiated recently, we don't share the same understanding of parts of our sisterhood. That's as much as I can say, but that's the reality.

I take my ritual seriously. When I was chapter president, I took the ritual book home over the summer so I could memorize it and look my sisters in the eye while initiating them rather than having my head buried in the book. For a variety of reasons, I presided over the ritual multiple times. I took it very seriously.

So I don't appreciate the insinuations that because I'm discussing this that I don't. It would have been easier to say nothing here than raise these issues.

I stand by what I said. Look in the forum today. A new thread about a national organization being petitioned by members of an apparently strong and old chapter to dissolve their chapter because it doesn't fit with the woke narrative of the current members. The experience and work of generations of women on that campus potentially snuffed out because a group of women today want something completely different and they want it now.

But, yeah, go ahead and pretend those men in the video were fear mongering and I don't take my ritual seriously if that makes you feel better.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.