GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,314
3 members and 1,311 guests
naraht, Shellfish

Old 12-22-2008, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

fraternity question...

I was recently inducted into a fraternity. Me and a couple of friends realize though that we would probably would have fit in better at a different one. We did this fraternity because my friends older brother was in it and we were, not pressured, but sort of felt obligated to do it. But now we regret that decision. The problem is that we would like to be in a fraternity, just not the one that we are in right now.

I see us most likely dropping the frat at some point. But I was wondering what the rules are to joining another fraternity after being inducted into one. Is it even possible? Is there some way to work around this, to where I could somehow be eligible to drop the frat I'm in and join a different one? Or am I stuck in this one? Any advice would be great, Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

By inducted I assume you mean initiated?

I don't believe you can just join a different group. Even if you do terminate your membership with whatever fraternity you are in (I think there is a procedure for this, someone please correct me if I'm wrong), do you think any other group would want a member who had dropped another group? I know at many campuses even getting a bid after dropping pledging is difficult.

However, my best advice is to stay in your org and work with your friends to make the org into the group that you want it to be. Why do you want to drop your membership? What would you want out of a different fraternity?

ETA: Read this thread http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=86918

Last edited by GammaPhi88; 12-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

yes I meant initiated I apologize. I feel I would fit in better at a different fraternity. My pledge class is not a group of kids (for the most part) that I see myself wanting to be around a lot of the time.

I know this is a longshot, I was just curious to know if there was any way to get out of this and be in a different one. But I assume being initiated makes that impossible?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robin View Post

I know this is a longshot, I was just curious to know if there was any way to get out of this and be in a different one. But I assume being initiated makes that impossible?
I don't think anyone here can say for sure.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=101037

@~/~~~~
Old 12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

What fraternity were you initiated into?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I was initiated into Sigma Alpha Mu or "Sammy"
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Then your answer is probably no -- the official requirement for many is that you get some sort of formal dismissal from your prior organization (if it is a national college fraternity), and even then most of them won't accept you even then.

The key here is whether you've been initiated or not. You say "inducted," so that may be different, but if you've gone through being a pledge (or whatever equivalent there is), then you're just out of luck unless you lie (and don't get caught).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-22-2008, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Kevin, he has been initiated.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

GammaPhi88
Kevin, he has been initiated.

So I understand this completely, when you refer to "initiated" meaning that he has been sworn in and pinned as an active brother of SAM and not initiated as a pledge/associate member....correct?

ZBT:"Inspiring Today's College Men To Become Leaders Of Tomorrow."
Old 12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Would this 'fraternity' be the Hall of Fame? Inducted? Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robin View Post
I was recently inducted into a fraternity. Me and a couple of friends realize though that we would probably would have fit in better at a different one. We did this fraternity because my friends older brother was in it and we were, not pressured, but sort of felt obligated to do it. But now we regret that decision. The problem is that we would like to be in a fraternity, just not the one that we are in right now.

I see us most likely dropping the frat at some point. But I was wondering what the rules are to joining another fraternity after being inducted into one. Is it even possible? Is there some way to work around this, to where I could somehow be eligible to drop the frat I'm in and join a different one? Or am I stuck in this one? Any advice would be great, Thanks!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your help, SigmaChiGuy

and to clear everything up I was initiated
Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-question.html

So you're a sammy at UT, Fall 2008, and your friend's older brother is an active.

sammy doesn't have to big of a pledge class so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard for one of them to figure out who you are. I'm sure they'll be glad to know you were publicly voicing your discontent with them on the internet to strangers, rather than man up and tell them what you don't like, or better yet, try to change them.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBromo View Post
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/...-question.html

So you're a sammy at UT, Fall 2008, and your friend's older brother is an active.

sammy doesn't have to big of a pledge class so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard for one of them to figure out who you are. I'm sure they'll be glad to know you were publicly voicing your discontent with them on the internet to strangers, rather than man up and tell them what you don't like, or better yet, try to change them.
Haha, impressive Bromo.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Me and a couple of friends
A couple of friends and I... or I, and a couple of friends...

But, anyway, OUCH!