GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,198
2 members and 2,196 guests
oncegreek, Xidelt

Old 07-17-2003, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

creating a sorority

we are a group of new girls trying to form our own sorority and we were wondering if anything or anyone could tell us how we could do that. we would appreciate any help that you are willing to give. thank you
-new greek girls
Old 07-17-2003, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

the best advice any of us can give you had probably already been said in other threads- you can learn SO much by reading through them.

Especially, read the "Rush at USCS" thread in the Rush Forum, it'll take you awhile, but it reads almost like a book. Starts out as a rush thread, then turns into how wishinhopin created a sorority
Old 07-17-2003, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I would also check out the local sororities webpage - I can't remember the URL but if you do a Google for it, you should find it. It has great advice.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

we were basically wondering if anyone could tell us the steps of forming a sorority. thanks to everyone for your help we are reading the rush at uscs thread right now
Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I started a soroity

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgreekgirls View Post
we were basically wondering if anyone could tell us the steps of forming a sorority. thanks to everyone for your help we are reading the rush at uscs thread right now
Hello I started a sorority and it was challenging but a success first you need to go to ask.com and type in starting a sorority alot of information about the process will pop up but no that 's really not first (FIRST YOU MUST STAND FOR SOMETHING UNIQUE OR DIFFERENT) being first is hard and trying to get some one to join your organization over many different organizations that have linage will be difficult but it will be less difficult if there is something unqiue that your organization can offer
My sorority Mu Omicron Mu caters to women who are mothers, my organization includes activites that involve our children so that is why we are unique, with out having something to stand for you are bond to fall.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

The original post is 3 years old, and likely the OP has since graduated....
Old 07-17-2003, 12:40 AM

There is no one "process" for forming a new sorority. If you check out the NPC groups' websites (www.npcwomen.org has links to all of them) you will see that no two are alike.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
A good route to go down is also to talk to the Greek Life person on your campus...Perhaps other locals or smaller chapters have recently been formed there and they could give you some good advice. What campus are you at?? Depending on what kind of Greek system there is there, it may give you more options and people to talk to. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2003, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

i definitely agree with digital angel about talking to your greek life advisor -- cuz if your schools not up for expanding it could be really difficult. i think it also depends on the situation at your school: are currently a lot of sororities or hardly any, do you want to form a local or do you want to eventually affiliate with a national. are you starting a general interest type sorority or are you catering to a certain niche. I think those factors determine what kind of difficulties you may face
Old 07-25-2003, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

a thought...if your campus does not have a greek life advisor, talk to the activities people about the steps needed to form a new club on campus.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck in making your dream come true!! Last year, I formed a new Beta Sigma Phi chapter, and it was a wonderfully exciting process. Kind of like going through three months of Rush!! We are an "off-campus" sorority, but all of our members are college students. We are growing steadily, and I am so proud of my sisters!

Send me an e-mail if you have any questions or just need some encouragement.

Erica
umassbeta@yahoo.com
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 08-05-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile founder!

The process is different depending on if you want to form a local organization, chapter of a National (Pan-Hellenic Affiliated) or a chapter of a National that's not Pan-Hel Affiliated. If you want to form a local, you will be creating everything, rituals, name, structure, rules, and traditions from scratch. You will not have support from anywhere else (other than the school), you most likely (at least at first) won't be considered a legal entity with non-profit status like most nationals, and you'll have to look very hard to find insurance. That being said, you will be very independent and able to tailor everything to your specific goals.
If you decide to go with a national, you will need to meet their requirements for colonization. In the case of a NPC sorority, that includes asking the local panhellenic council to vote for expansion of a new sorority. This could be a relatively easy or very difficult task depending on the current status of the other sororities at your school. Then, you will have to choose a national. I'd suggest going to the NPC webpage for more information on the expansion process.
If you go with a non-pan hel national sorority, it will be smaller and might be very specific (such as a multicultural or community service oriented). I've just founded a chapter of Kappa Beta Gamma (www.kappabetagamma.org) (they are a Non-Pan Hel National, though many of the chapters belong to their local Pan-Hel) and love my national (they are more generalized like a NPC sorority, but are much smaller than most). I like the size of our national because we get a lot of individual attention and help, and there is a very strong connection between the chapters.
Nationals give a lot of guidance about how to set up your chapter, create your own chapter traditions, and incorporate national traditions into your chapter.
So, the first thing you need to do is determine your goals. Do you want a specifc type of sorority? Do you want a National? Do you like working with Pan-Hel? Depending on what you want, you will take different paths.

But my biggest piece of advice is to get a great group of quality girls who are DEDICATED and enthusiastic! Just because you won't be pledging doesn't mean it won't take time, effort, and persistence!

Good luck! Founding a sorority is both rewarding and a lot of fun!
Old 05-05-2005, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going through the same thing at my school, although we don't have any greek here, a group of girls and guys are trying to start some local sororities and fraternities. I would suggest creating a constituition with your mission statement and what you want to stand for. Good luck!!!