GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,214
4 members and 1,210 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD, TLLK

Old 07-25-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Reading that Vanity Fair article... wow... what a shitshow. I think closing shop is the ethical thing to do for Greek organizations. If they chose to stay and fight the good fight, they are potentially putting anyone who signs up for their cause at risk of losing a Harvard education worth potentially millions of dollars.
If this kind of ridiculousness keeps up, Harvard will become such a laughingstock that a degree from them won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.

My favorite part of that article (other than the fact that one of Edie Sedgwick’s nephews or cousins wrote it) was where sexual assaults were being blamed on the final clubs, and then it was discovered 75% had actually occurred in dorms...but of course the idea of single sex dorms was verboten.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
DElta Gamma has left as well.
Where did you hear that? I have not seen an official announcement from EO and I’ve been following this story closely because I’m so passionate about it.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

The Harvard GLOs are just collateral damage from the Harvard war on the all male finals clubs. Part of it is a revenge of the nerds against the clubs. The Harvard administrators believe the clubs would never ask them to join when they were undergrads so they must be destroyed.

Last edited by commuter; 07-26-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If this kind of ridiculousness keeps up, Harvard will become such a laughingstock that a degree from them won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on.

My favorite part of that article (other than the fact that one of Edie Sedgwick’s nephews or cousins wrote it) was where sexual assaults were being blamed on the final clubs, and then it was discovered 75% had actually occurred in dorms...but of course the idea of single sex dorms was verboten.
This kind of dumbassery is why everyone hates liberals.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-26-2018, 10:11 AM

[/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Where did you hear that? I have not seen an official announcement from EO and I’ve been following this story closely because I’m so passionate about it.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/dg-library/...ss-Release.pdf

It was announced on DG’s webpage in May.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This kind of dumbassery is why everyone hates liberals.
good grief, Kevin. I have come to expect more from you. Where did THIS come from? "everyone" ???? my goodness! That's one very broad brush full of ugly tar you just swiped. I will attribute your out of character misstep to the heat.

On another note:as a matter of fact, related to the Sedgwick family, I have more than passing knowledge of this family. They are in another sphere altogether. I recommend reading In My Blood, written by John Sedgwick (the author of the VF article cited in this thread.

Kyra Sedgwick, actor and wife of Kevin Bacon, is part of that extensive "blue-blooded" family. Putting it here for others. Interesting history if you are into that kind of thing.

In the meantime, the dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Shouldn't have said that, not meaning to try to wade into politics, but this kind of idiocy in academia is often used to paint with exactly that broad of a brush.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-26-2018, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
This whole thing makes me so sick. Misogyny through and through. Take away all opportunities for women to have a safe space, leadership opportunities without oppression, and being forced to live in the "good ole boys" world without respite. Of course, since women aren't paid equally, I suppose their alumnae withholding donations or the like wouldn't have much of an effect.
And racism.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

This breaks my heart! I know a lovely young Theta legacy who will be starting school there in the fall and was SO excited for recruitment (regardless of her membership invitation outcome). Such a shame.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
[/URL]

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dg-library/...ss-Release.pdf

It was announced on DG’s webpage in May.
Thanks. Don’t know how I missed that. Very sad.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks like there are NPHC members at Harvard, but the chapters are actually citywide chapters that encompass members from several Boston area colleges. Are the Harvard students in these chapters also being threatened with these same sanctions or the fact that the chapters are off campus and contain members in a variety of schools saving them from the same scrutiny? If that's the case, couldn't some of the NPC organizations do something new and not only establish off-campus chapters, but make them open to women in other schools that don't have NPC chapters such as Wellesley?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM

They could feasibly start up a Cambridge Alumnae Chapter that’s incorporated outside the school, if there isn’t one there already.

I’m sure it took NPHC groups a while to perfect the organization of citywide chapters and for NPCs to attempt it while they are more or less under duress might not be prudent.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
It looks like there are NPHC members at Harvard, but the chapters are actually citywide chapters that encompass members from several Boston area colleges. Are the Harvard students in these chapters also being threatened with these same sanctions or the fact that the chapters are off campus and contain members in a variety of schools saving them from the same scrutiny? If that's the case, couldn't some of the NPC organizations do something new and not only establish off-campus chapters, but make them open to women in other schools that don't have NPC chapters such as Wellesley?
Wellesley is not close enough to be feasible to share a chapter with as far as undergrads without transportation go..... I don't know of any NPC orgs that do regional undergrad chapters.... this could be a consideration with other Boston city schools?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 07-26-2018, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
The policy is about members of unrecognized groups. City-wide chapters are in the same boat as a chapter comprised of solely Harvard students.

https://nicindy.org/1377/news/frater...organizations/

Last edited by Sen's Revenge; 07-26-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Shouldn't have said that, not meaning to try to wade into politics, but this kind of idiocy in academia is often used to paint with exactly that broad of a brush.
I knew what you meant and you are exactly right. Even many people who think sororities are dumb will be offended by the fact that the women are basically being forced to close by elite SJWs (in their eyes).

My response to things like this is "Creating Trump Voters One Stupid Situation at a Time."

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.