GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,168
0 members and 2,168 guests
No Members online

Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Not sure if I should join an est. fraternity or a newly chartered one?

So I am currently looking at rushing this spring. My school's spring fraternity rush (campus-wide) doesn't start until next week. I'm thinking of rushing a couple of well-established chapters that had been here for years, just so I have options. But while browsing the chapter listing, I came across a newly formed fraternity that started up just last fall (Alpha Kappa Lambda). I've talked to a couple of their brothers during an information session yesterday, and they seem quite nice.

But since they only started up last fall, I'm just not too sure if I should be rushing for such a new fraternity. This spring would be their first ever rush period, and the rush director told me he's actually kind of nervous-excited about this semester...as this would be their first pledge class all said and done.

So I was wondering should I rush such a new chapter, or take a conservative route and rush a chapter that's already here for years? If I do take a gamble on a chapter that's only been here since last fall, what should I look for in such a chapter (beside the usual fitting in and clicking with brothers)? I've heard from people that newly created chapters don't usually do well the first few years...
Old 01-23-2014, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

You should go where YOU feel you fit the best. The rest of this is - to quote Coach Saban - clutter.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM

As far as fraternities are concerned, how well they do often has a lot to do with how badly the campus wants/needs something new. It will be a LOT of work. A lot also depends on whether you have alum support (if the chapter is a recharter) and if you're going to be trying to secure housing.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think my Uni ever had another AKL on campus before, so no it's not a recharter. The one I'm rushing for already had 25 brothers that joined in Fall '13, it's only a semester old this fraternity. And I believe the rush chair told me that they are looking at getting a house off-campus this coming fall.

I don't think there is another AKL in my current state, even. So that's why I'm a bit unsure.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfuller23 View Post
So I was wondering should I rush such a new chapter, or take a conservative route and rush a chapter that's already here for years? If I do take a gamble on a chapter that's only been here since last fall, what should I look for in such a chapter (beside the usual fitting in and clicking with brothers)? I've heard from people that newly created chapters don't usually do well the first few years...
Basically, are you conservative or are you a gambler in the rest of your life?

Are you willing to do the extra work it will take to help build an organization from the ground up? You will havethe responsibility for helping establish the reputation of a new fraternity. It is a lot harder to do that, but you can have great satisfaction in knowing that you were responsible for laying the groundwork for men to come for years.

If you are more comfortable in a well established organization with a reputation on campus that you will then be part of, then go with the established GLOs.

My advice is to STOP listening to "people". Do what is best for you. Go where you feel that you fit.

Sounds like you don't knwo much about AKL. Try reading the web site on AKL nationally. Take a look at other AKL chapters & their websites. Get a feel for the organization before making decisions.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

It would be pretty neat to join an organization in its centennial year.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

They also have a great national philanthropy! (Biased, of course!)

Old 01-24-2014, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisfuller23 View Post
So I am currently looking at rushing this spring. . . .
Just my suggestion, but if your username is your real name, I'd be careful what you post and would exercise discretion. You don't know Whois reading, and you don't want anything misconstrued.