GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,467
0 members and 2,467 guests
No Members online

Old 04-16-2000, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Post MIP vs PLEDGING

On the real, I AM TIRED OF ALL THESE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT MIP AND WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE!!!! I WANT TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO REALLY CARE and DID PLEDGE!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE, It is our job to come up with a way to combine MIP and pledging- I say it, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN SIGNING!!!!! WORK FOR YOURS!!!
FRATS AND SORORS, PLEASE REPLY- HELP ME OUT HERE!!! I hate the fact that these days, two ladies wear the same clothes, oh that'spledging, they walk on a line, oh that 's pledging! WHA THE HELL!!!!!!!! you are asked to do something, maybe so simple as writing aresearch paper about one of the founders, AND THAT TOO IS DAMN HAZING!!!!!
I have to say things have been said and done that were not necessary but- AGAIN< IT IS OUR JOB TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING- I have heard many people say " Irather have my chapter die than to go paper" Holla back- What do youthink?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2000, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Red face

As I've said before, I think EVERYONE deserves to go through a pledging process. I think the problem comes in when the line is being tested and learning about unity. Some "sorors/frats" don't believe this can be done without physically hazing the line. That's basically where the problem lies.

In my opinion, pledging CAN be separated from hazing (physically harming a pledge). I mean wearing a uniform, walking on line, cutting corners, taking a "vow of silence", publicly greeting the members of "your" organization and other greeks (depending on your org.) is NOT hazing but these things create unity amongst the line and the chapter. Sadly, some campus' consider all of these things hazing.

Also, contrary to what others may believe, as a pledge I think you should have to prove yourself to the organization. This doesn't mean beating a pledge half to death. There are a lot of ways to "test" the loyalty of a pledge or a line. (Make your own inferences.) Having someone do your laundry and performing other menial and ridiculous tasks does not test loyalty. That just means the individual is capable of following directions.

Anyway, that's what I think. Although I am NOT in a BGLO sorority, I think the NPHC should reconsider their stand on pledging because the MIP seems to be creating discord amongst members of the same organization. Remember, we are only as strong as our weakest link. (Something I learned from plegding! )

Serena (Serene) #2
Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Senoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc.

[This message has been edited by Serenity (edited April 16, 2000).]
Old 04-17-2000, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

AIGHT SENORITA!!!!!!! That's what I am talking about. someone has something to say and said it right- We have problems with other orgs. becasue of the pledging/paper thing.
I too agree everybody has to go trhu a process.
just like you, some things I learned from pledging.
HA HAHA!!!!!
Old 04-25-2000, 10:19 PM
HOT2TROT

Exclamation

Unfortunately, I did NOT pledge, I went through MIP. I feel that I have been cheated out of a lifetime of bonding and experiences. My first year as a NEO was hell b/c my propyhtes felt we hadn't put in our dues. We HAVE to incorporate pledging and hazing into a single, non-voilent method. I totally agree with Serenity!
Old 04-26-2000, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

something has to separate new members from established members. Pledges/actives are easy to distinguish, but not "Junior Actives" and older actives. It all comes down to seniority in the organization; there definitely is a difference between pledging for a whole quarter and then being initiated, and being immediately initiated after joining. Although there are some problems with the pledge quarter, for the most part it creates respect for the organization and shows that the new members sincerely want to be a part of your GLO. It's certainly not a cake walk, nor is it running the gauntlet, but pledging makes it easy to see the difference between a full brother who has been through hell (figuratively) and still had the will to join, and someone who de-pledged after finding out that a GLO was not for him. Your organization is for life, and you only pledge once!

------------------
andrew watters
Theta Chi –*ucla
Old 04-29-2000, 06:20 PM
love dst

Smile

I would not consider my self paper or pledge. The experience I had was neither. We did not simply sign paper to get in and we wee not hazed to get in. We did do "fun" things to test our unity. Things such as not wearing the organizations colors, not eating or touching the colors, acting as one instead of separte individuals even if one messed you up are things that bring you together, but do not physically or mentally haze you.
Old 04-30-2000, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I have to agree that the MIP process is a little to strict. Although it's nice to want to think that someone has done their research and is fully a believer of their founders and will automaticaly bond with their bros/sorors. It is not nesscarially true.

I think that hazing (in a controlled environment) is not a demeaning process. It is a bonding process and in order to be "made" you have to be ready love yourself and your sorors/bros. "I am my sisters keeper" and God willing I will always be.

Old 04-30-2000, 11:17 PM

Question

HOT2TROT,
Why were you receiving the negative attitudes? Was it your decision to go thru in the way that you did? Were you brought in by the prophytes that were active at your university or did the alumni chapter of your area bring you in? I'm "beating around the bush", you know what I'm asking?
Old 05-02-2000, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Unhappy

See we alumnae wannabes get into trouble with this, as well. We want the same bonding, but know we won't get as much of it. I'm not going to get my @$$ kicked literally, but I welcome challenges that build teamwork and solidarity and mutual love and support.

So, if y'all can go to your respective orgs and come up with something that compromises, good. But I have heard that MIP can be intense at times.

------------------
@~~^~~~~
Subtlety is the key ;o)
Old 05-02-2000, 04:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Although, I believe that a developmental process is necessary to get a true appreciation for your organization, I think there must be some clarifications first:

a) There is a difference between pledging and beating. There is a physical part to pledging. But the physical is meant to push you to your limits. But some have gotten to the point where they are beating people to death. This isn't pledging. This is assult. This type of activity should be banned and punished by law.

b) "Paper" is not the alternative. This process requires that the aspirant know a minimal amount about the fraternity/sorority history and its current ongoings. There is no learning process. There is no development of brotherhood/sisterhood. Why be in a fraternal/sororal organization if these lessons are not part of the experience? To "belong"? Maybe, but this isn't the aim of any fraternal organization. So this process in and of itself does not meet the objectives of the fraternity either.

c) I would propose that the balance comes by developing people such that they understand the tenets by which our organizations are formed. You don't have to 'beat' someone to teach them brotherhood/sisterhood. You don't have to tolerate not knowing history from "paper" applicants. Everything comes down to knowing your applicants beforehand and respecting those people first. Of all the people I know how have pledged or not pledged, I only disrespect those who are not deserving of my respect. Paper or Pledging doesn't apply in those cases because you will develop a love and brotherhood/sisterhood that is rooted out of your personal relationship and not necessarily from shared experience.

What are your thoughts?

~ ShaoLin http://www.kaos-dazs.com

------------------
Another ICE COLD Alpha Mu Production

[This message has been edited by ShaoLin (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old 05-02-2000, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Forgive my ignorance, but would you consider Balanced Man Project a MIP. What does MIP stand for. I'm not sure if BMP is the same as MIP. There are three ways to be a member in SigEp:
(1) Traditional pledging - the way I did it and the way half of our chapters does it.
(2) Balanced Man Project - the other half of our chapters does this. It is a gradual membership process which take anywhere from a year and a half to four years, depending on the individual. There is no pledging whatsoever. From day one, the new members are permitted to attend meeting, and vote. Only difference is that they don't know the secret stuff and not allow to wear the membership badge.
(3) Honor Initiation - The same with every other organization.
Old 05-02-2000, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
SigEpYoda- MIP stands for Membership Intake Process.
Old 05-02-2000, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Question

SigEp:

I find it interesting that 1/2 of your chapter goes through their intake process differently than the other 1/2?

I would think that it would be one or the other. But what do i know

My 1st question is: do the members choose which path to take? Or is it divided up (and if so, how?)

My 2cnd question is: if your new members choose which path to take, is one more popular than the other? which one + why?

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 05-03-2000, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I'm not really sure exactly what BMP is. My chapter adopted it my last semester there. But I will give you the Official explanation of BMP:

The Balanced Man Project is a four year membership development program implemented in chapters on a voluntary basis. Implementation began in Fall, 1992. A list of chapters who have voluntarily implemented the program is available.

The Balanced Man Project appeals to undergraduates because it concentrates on individual and chapter development. In particular, the focus on mentoring,
campus and community involvement, and the ritual is developing balanced leaders and chapters.

I know that is very vague, so here are the manuals that is given to both new members and those that runs it: http://www.sigep.org/programs/bmp/quest/quest.htm http://www.sigep.org/programs/bmp/lexicon/lexicon.htm

Hope that explains it.

------------------
Try Not . . . Do
Old 05-04-2000, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
good points made, bu once again,t he charge is upon those that can.. you all must do!!

BTW, Serenity: 12 more! LOL

Take care, chica!

------------------
@~~^~~~~
Subtlety is the key ;o)