GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,309
2 members and 1,307 guests
Cookiez17

Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Even though this all took place weeks ago, reading my journal and writing this all out makes it seem like it is really happening right now. I am a pretty calm and centered person with really good support (as you can tell) but Rush kicked my butt! I sort of wish I had done this "live" because it might have been helpful to have y'all's help!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

So... bid day?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Prefs
I would like to say that I got it together and bounced back and had a great Pref day, but it wasn't quite that smooth. When I tell people where I am going for prefs everyone thinks I have an odd group of parties as the three sororities have such different reputations. This isn’t making me feel better. How is one of these supposed to be the right one? What if none of them are the right one? Who knows at this point - I decide to go to prefs and see if something starts to make sense.

My first pref is at Pippi. I cried through most of it but the girl who is preffing me (from second round) is really sweet and I think she thinks that I am getting emotional about them. I really just want to not be here and I need more time to get over feeling so awful. It was a pretty ceremony and was the best that Pippi has looked all week. They get better and better with each round but I just don’t see myself here.

The next party is Corduroy. This is a “top tier” sorority, but it is not my sorority. I don’t see a genuine sense of sisterhood here. These girls seem like a lot of fun and I’d love to hang out with some of them, but I don’t see them being part of my growing as a college student or the next four years or even for a lifetime of sisterhood. Tent talk says they are partiers and I guess I see that, even though I know that there is no way they are all partiers and that many of them seem like really nice girls and the girl who preffed me seemed really genuine.

My last party is Ramona. Like Pippi, this one got better as the week went along. The girl who preffed me was the senior who rushed me yesterday. She told me that they like me because I’m not “cookie cutter”. That might be the first real thing that anyone has said about me in days. I leave there unsure of what to do.

We get on the bus and are supposed to not talk, but I text my mom. I’m still so upset about Annie that it is hard to think through what has gone on all morning. My mom just keeps telling me to trust myself and absolutely not to talk to anyone else. I feel like she wants me to put Pippi first, but I’m not sure and she obviously wont’ say anything.

So without thinking about it anymore, I list them in this order
Ramona
Corduroy
Pippi

And head back to my room.

I immediately regret the order. I absolutely can’t see myself as a Corduroy. I know that everyone thinks they are a “better” sorority than Pippi but I am not a party girl and I’m not sure why they think I am. I feel like this is the one time that I listened to what other people were saying and now I seriously regret it.

All this worrying about the order of #2 and #3 though makes me realize that I don’t have any regrets for putting Ramona first. This is the first time all day that I have been the least bit excited and let myself look forward to bid day. I’m still very disappointed about Annie, but when I’m not hating on myself about the order of Pippi and Corduroy am beginning to let myself get excited about the possibility of a bid from Ramona.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, there are multiple moments of self-doubt in life - whether we make emotional, intuitive, irrational or rational choices.

So please tell us about bid day!

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Yikes.....I am running out of nails to bite!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

looking forward to bid day!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day
(Also known as the first day of class? Who thought this was a good idea?)

As the day wears on, I get really, really, really nervous. I just want Ramona. I don’t want another huge disappointment. Please don’t let me open that envelope and see Corduroy. I don’t know what I’ll do and I really don’t want to go through another blow like that again. Why is this so hard for me?

My floor is crazy with girls running around in their white dresses. I wish I was as excited as everyone else is. We all get herded into the auditorium and after the Gamma Chi reveals (mine was a Tri Delt) we are given our bids and…..

Ramona!!!

I’m happy. Or relieved. Or something, but definitely not crying!!! Maybe not crazy excited, but happy enough. I’m glad I didn’t drop out. I’m glad I stayed open minded and listened to my own thoughts and not other people’s and I’m really glad that I had my mom to talk to.

Oh – wait – I bet you want to know that Ramona is Alpha Gamma Delta!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

In case that didn't show up well on the last post it says Alpha Gamma Delta!!!

And a month or so later, I can def say I am a HAPPY one!

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Loved this story and congratulations!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story, thanks for sharing!
Have fun!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations!!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Yippee!!!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfettiCupcake View Post
Bid Day

As the day wears on, I get really, really, really nervous. I just want Ramona.

Ramona!!!

I’m happy. Or relieved. Or something, but definitely not crying!!! Maybe not crazy excited, but happy enough. I’m glad I didn’t drop out. I’m glad I stayed open minded and listened to my own thoughts and not other people’s and I’m really glad that I had my mom to talk to.

Oh – wait – I bet you want to know that Ramona is Alpha Gamma Delta!!!
WELCOME!!!! We're not allowed to say "rush" anymore so I say "rushed recruitment!" because major decisions are made on both sides within a few days.

Wishing you lots of red and buff roses!! Come on over to the Alpha Gamma Delta board!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! You are a great thinker and a wonderful story teller!

"I am often at my best when things look the worst." -Meb Keflezighi