GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,436
1 members and 1,435 guests
Kevin

Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Mizzou

My niece will be going through recruitment this August at Mizzou. What is Mizzou's recruitment like? Are recommendations important? Any other helpful tidbits that I may pass on to her?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-09-2007, 11:33 AM

There are a couple Mizzou alums who are GC posters, hopefully some of them will reply.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
it's fairly competitive and recs would help.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Expansion

Is Mizzou open or expansion? I heard there would be a sorority colonizing this fall or next?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Mizzou Recruitment

Mizzou's recruitment is competitive. Usually around 1100-1200 girls go through and each of the 13 houses take around 50-60 girls. Recs are very important at most of the houses, but if they feel strongly about a girl - a house will do all they can to secure a rec for her. I went through "Rush" at Mizzou in 1975 and my daughter went through last August. I meant to post her recruitment story, but never got around to it. She is now a very happy girl- loved Mizzou's recruitment and can't wait to be on "the other side". Good luck to your niece!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise4fun View Post
Is Mizzou open or expansion? I heard there would be a sorority colonizing this fall or next?
It is open for expansion, but I think they're still in the preliminary stages. They haven't selected anyone to present yet.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It is open for expansion, but I think they're still in the preliminary stages. They haven't selected anyone to present yet.
Alas, I think it's too soon for us to recolonize.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm intersted in the Mizzou expansion just because I'd love to see Sigma there since we have 8 collegiate chapters in MO.

sidenote:

Cruise4Fun-do you know where else Tri Sigma will be colonizing this fall (I know about Pratt & UW-Parkside)?

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-09-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I lurk on here every once in awhile, but I've never really been compelled to post until now. I'm a Mizzou collegian (I'll keep myself disaffiliated for now, since I'm be telling you about recruitment) and I've been through rush on both sides now. RECS ARE ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL for all but 2 or 3 of the chapters. I would focus on getting at least one per chapter, though more couldn't hurt. We have a lot of girls come through with just 1 or 2, and some with 6-7. Really though, as long as your niece goes in with an open mind, she should have a thoroughly enjoyable experience- I met some of my best friends during recruitment at Mizzou. And usually when people say "go in with an open mind and everything will be great," I usually think "what a crock of cat poop," but Mizzou has a fairly unique recruitment in that we have the size and numbers of an SEC rush but are quickly moving toward the no-frills rrecruitment.

Speaking of size and numbers, we ARE open for expansion, and they have determined which orgs will present- I'll post it later when I find that email. I know Sigma is one of them, and I'm personally pulling for them, given their alumnae support base in Missouri.

Mizzou rush can be a little overwhelming, just like any recruitment! Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Alas, I think it's too soon for us to recolonize.
SK was not asked back to present.... it's too bad, I had an alumna in one of my classes freshman year, and she was really helpful and sweet. Return isn't completely out of the question; the last class of ladies who would seen the active chapter just graduated. Pi Kappa Phi is currently living in their house, but I'm not sure if they're leasing or if they've purchased. Panhel votes annually on whether or not they should be approved for a return- but they started doing that before the extension proposal passed (or was even drafted) so I'm not entirely sure what they point was.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

found that email....

And I figured I may as well post three times in a row, why not (sorry everyone). The groups selected to present will be.....
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Xi Delta
Sigma Sigma Sigma.

They will present in September 2007; the selected group will participate in formal recruitment for the first time in 2009. Housing will, of course, be a huge issue- a fraternity chapter lost their house this year, and it was quickly scooped up before anyone else even knew it was on the market. There isn't really land available to build a new house, either.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Just curious - which Fraternity lost their house at Mizzou?
Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusheemom View Post
Just curious - which Fraternity lost their house at Mizzou?
Sigma Chi took back the house on College that Lambda Chi Alpha had been leasing, and Lambda Chi has moved in to the house that was formerly Delta Chi over on Stewart.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Where did Delta Chi go? Did they leave campus or move to another house?
Old 07-10-2007, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure they didn't lose their charter or anything; I believe they are still recruiting for fall. I don't know what their housing situation is right now either, one of my Lambda Chi friends told me the house Delta Chis had it could have a capacity of 30- but I think the chapter may have been smaller than that.