GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug10474 View Post
Hey ya'll !!!

I had a question about recruitment. I've already completed my freshman year but this past may i took a semester off to do an internship at disney.
therefore, i missed the 07 rush.

What i was wondering is since I missed this year's rush will that put me in a bad spot? I will be a sophomore when I rush in the fall. Also, I do attend college in the south.

And thank ya'll so much for posting this, this makes me feel so much better about rush, even though it's quite a few months away.
QFP
Old 09-16-2008, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of people here have said don't mention drinking. Is it still all right to ask in passing if the chapter is dry? I'll be going through round 2 of recruitment later this week and one of the sororities I was interested in are apparently dry and I just wanted to make sure. It doesn't really matter to me, but I'd like to know still, you know? I wouldn't go on about it, but asking is still ok ... right?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsitybluette View Post
A lot of people here have said don't mention drinking. Is it still all right to ask in passing if the chapter is dry? I'll be going through round 2 of recruitment later this week and one of the sororities I was interested in are apparently dry and I just wanted to make sure. It doesn't really matter to me, but I'd like to know still, you know? I wouldn't go on about it, but asking is still ok ... right?
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=89

Old thread, but it still has relevant info.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

They're apparently dry - how?

All the chapters are (or should be) dry during recruitment. Just like we say to PNMs don't mention drinking, the chapters are being told not to mention drinking.

Plus all NPC sororities are *supposed* to be dry all the time. As in, they don't have alcohol in their house.

If they're serious about being dry ALL the time, I would think they would mention it.

Last edited by agzg; 09-16-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: changed most to all
Old 09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

See, I'm not sure, which is why I want to clarify with them. I wasn't the one they told it to, another girl who was in my group came up to the rest of us after we left the house and said that she asked about the social activities and all that and apparently they said they "pride themselves on being dry." I don't remember verbatim, but there might have been an "only" thrown in there as well. But yeah, I'm not entirely certain so ... it would just be nice to clarify, you know?

But you're probably right, they would have mentioned it if it was some adamant thing to them ... I just wasn't sure if it would be too bold to ask. lol

Last edited by varsitybluette; 09-17-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Is an alcohol policy so important that it would change your opinion regarding a org?

If you must know then find out some other way. Asking during Recruitment can come across as either 1) you're a teetotaller who looks down on those who drink or 2) you're a party animal who is only looking for drinking buddies, not sisterhood.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
See, I'm not sure, which is why I want to clarify with them. I wasn't the one they told it to, another girl who was in my group came up to the rest of us after we left the house and said that she asked about the social activities and all that and apparently they said they "pride themselves on being dry." I don't remember verbatim, but there might have been an "only" thrown in there as well. But yeah, I'm not entirely certain so ... it would just be nice to clarify, you know?

But you're probably right, they would have mentioned it if it was some adamant thing to them ... I just wasn't sure if it would be too bold to ask. lol
This is why I hate the term "dry" - it's confusing to non-Greeks.

No NPC sororities are permitted to have alcohol in their housing. No alcohol is permitted during recruitment.

However, at social events like mixers and formals, alcohol can be served to of-age members if the event is held at an appropriate venue and alcohol is served by a third party vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Is an alcohol policy so important that it would change your opinion regarding a org?
Yes. If there is a chapter who doesn't allow its members - even those of age - to drink AT ALL, I would run in the other direction. Unless that's what you want, of course.

Hope that helped.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I would think it would have made a difference in my opinion on an organization.

I would also think that if the chapter didn't set limits on alcohol consumption, including keeping a keg in the basement of the house or whatever, and are generally drunks - that might affect my decision, too.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

i have a serious interest in politics and the political world- is it okay to mention that many great politicians-mostly women of course!- have been a part of the greek system, and thats ONE reason why i want to be greek (of course worded better)? i would never mention any party affiliation, or discuss any political issue.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

NO. You can not treat Greek Life like a means to an end during recruitment!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post

If you must know then find out some other way. Asking during Recruitment can come across as either 1) you're a teetotaller who looks down on those who drink or 2) you're a party animal who is only looking for drinking buddies, not sisterhood.
I said in my first post:
"It doesn't really matter to me, but I'd like to know still, you know?"

It's not like it's the deciding factor for me, but if they are completely dry, it's something to consider in the whole thing, you know? I'm not either a teetotaller or a party animal ... I just want as much information as I can get so I know what I'm getting myself into. But like I said, it doesn't really matter to me. So we'll see at Round 2, I guess
Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is why I hate the term "dry" - it's confusing to non-Greeks.

No NPC sororities are permitted to have alcohol in their housing. No alcohol is permitted during recruitment.

However, at social events like mixers and formals, alcohol can be served to of-age members if the event is held at an appropriate venue and alcohol is served by a third party vendor.

Hope that helped.
Thanks! It did
Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I said in my first post:
"It doesn't really matter to me, but I'd like to know still, you know?"

It's not like it's the deciding factor for me, but if they are completely dry, it's something to consider in the whole thing, you know? I'm not either a teetotaller or a party animal ... I just want as much information as I can get so I know what I'm getting myself into. But like I said, it doesn't really matter to me. So we'll see at Round 2, I guess
I would tread lightly on the topic of alcohol. Someone above gave the general NPC rules regarding alcohol and that sounds pretty much the information that you were relayed through a game of telephone with another PNM. Personally, when girls came through recruitment and asked me anything about drinking it immediately raised a red flag. You don't want to burn bridges over something you're just curious about.

If anything, ask your rush counselor what it means since other PNMs were talking about it. I'm sure she's pretty knowledgeable about all the chapters and you avoid looking like you have alcohol "issues" during round 2.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
If anything, ask your rush counselor what it means since other PNMs were talking about it. I'm sure she's pretty knowledgeable about all the chapters and you avoid looking like you have alcohol "issues" during round 2.
Good idea. It would also be of a help to the chapter, because if they have a sister spouting off about how they're "proud to be dry" (and that's not really the case) it could hurt their rush.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
I'm down with that advice.