GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Nu Xi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,415
0 members and 1,415 guests
No Members online

Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Small Chapter Recruitment Help

So I'm really happy to see that TNX has their own thread here, because I have a question that could use the help of some other Theta Women. My chapter is experiencing a few issues with getting new members for our chapter. We've tried all the usual types of advertisements - flyering, facebook, person to person, etc. and we're just not getting the response that we've hoped for. I think at this point sisters are feeling like we're trying so hard to hit everyone that no one is getting the message. Our school has NPHC chapters and other organizations that aim towards particular cultural groups (Latina, Asian), not to mention Panhel and it just seems like the Greek Office is organized in such a way that it's easier for these groups to reach their target audience. So getting the word out about TNX to each and every women seems like a really daunting task.

In the end, we're just looking for some new blood. New ideas on how a small chapter can do their best to show the student body that we're here and and a group that could really add to their college experience. New advertisement ideas, even new event ideas, would be really welcome.

And of course we want to do all this without losing our focus on sisterhood and doing so many events that we all go crazy.

Thanks for the help!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Greek Council does sometimes have a week. Last year they did and it culminated in the first stroll show our school has ever had. It went pretty well, but this year the council kind of lost interest and just had the stroll show.

The formal presentation that you're talking about - was it something where all the organizations of the council came together and made a presentation at? So each sorority and fraternity had like 5-10min to speak? I've been looking around on the forum and I also like the idea where a sorority kind of took over a room somewhere in a public meeting place for students, decorated it with paraphernalia and posters, and then had systematic presentations throughout the day so that people could come though whenever they're free to learn about TNX. I think both options are a good one - let's just see if we can push our council enough to some show togetherness every once in a while.

Do you have any recommendations for successful programs you pulled off with smaller numbers?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't mind me swerving.... I was just talking about APhiA "recruitment" with a friend of mine, and we both felt that for organizations which allow second semester freshmen to pledge, conducting a mentoring or rite-of-passage program for first semester freshmen could kick-start their interest in your org.

It's a bit tougher with a multicultural sorority, when for Alpha having black male mentoring quickly identifies the audience.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
If you don't mind me swerving.... I was just talking about APhiA "recruitment" with a friend of mine, and we both felt that for organizations which allow second semester freshmen to pledge, conducting a mentoring or rite-of-passage program for first semester freshmen could kick-start their interest in your org.

It's a bit tougher with a multicultural sorority, when for Alpha having black male mentoring quickly identifies the audience.
That's really an excellent idea.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey Senusret - could you explain a bit more about what a rite-of-passage program is? Thnx!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of things could be a rite of passage, but basically some sort of program which moves the participant from boyhood/girlhood to manhood/womanhood.

For first semester college women, perhaps you could put on a six week series of events geared toward building sisterhood among all women, whether they are interested in sorority life or not. Girls night out at a bowling alley, date rape/relationship responsibility workshops, I dunno, a good mix of discussion groups and cultural activities.

Basically, what your chapter might be doing anyway, but stringing it together in such a way that first-semester freshmen women get an incentive at the end, even if it's just an award and bag of candy.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Just want to add that it's important to have a curriculum of some sort for something like this, so work with a professional, like a campus counselor.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank all of you guys so much! These ideas are really great! Keep 'em coming! We're going to be having a major business retreat/brainstorming meeting when we get back to school in January and hopefully we'll come out of it with a huge all encompassing strategic plan for the rest of this year and for next year that will allow us to redirect out energies and really focus on making our small chapter grow. If anyone else can think of anything that they've seen work or something that would be good to bring up at our meeting let me know!