GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,107
0 members and 2,107 guests
No Members online

Old 03-28-2005, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

College experience influence your AI pursuit?

I know that some groups don't require college attendance or credit in order to become a member as an alum, but for those of you who do have some college experience:

Did your experience with some of the groups on your campus influence which groups you decided to pursue as a PNAI?

For me, I always felt there was only one group for me, and because of the general reputation of some of the other groups on my campus I would not have pursued them for AI, even though they may have been the "perfect" group for me on another campus. Right or wrong, that's just my position. What about the rest of you?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

There was only one group from my campus that I would have considered to pursue for AI. They were an incredible group of women when I was in school and still are! The timing and everything just didn't work out when I was in school so I did not pledge a sorority. So, yes, I guess my experience with certain GLOs did influence my decision in the long rung. Last year when I decided to look into AI I thoroughly researched every sorority even those that had been on my campus knowing that things and people change. As soon as I went to the Gamma Phi Beta website there was just a feeling that I wanted to pursue this group. I had also chatted with someone who was a Gamma Phi one day before I started the AI pursuit and she spoke very positively about her experience. Then I met the women in the Kent Alumnae Chapter and it pretty much just sealed the deal for me.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I was definitely influenced. When I first found out about alumnae initiation, I was thrilled to find out that a group I'd always admired had an alumnae chapter in my new city. However, I ultimately affiliated with an organization that doesn't have any chapters in my home state.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

It was an influence for me only in that the groups that were on campus in college were the ones I was more familiar with. Thus, I felt more comfortable approaching them for info and an initial contact first.

Eventually, tho, I realized that my home wasn't there. Taking a chance on something relatively unfamiliar was the big breakthrough.

--add
Old 03-29-2005, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Heh, sure; my college experience made a difference.

Of the chapters I liked best in college, I didn't actually pursue any of them for AI. How funny is that? The only exception to that was the chapter who bid me and later encouraged me to AI with them ("sorority #1" or "Dralion" in my story). I don't know why; I just didn't.

At any rate, at my alma mater, Gamma Phi Beta was probably the LAST chapter I would have joined. LOL Not because they're not great girls, but because I simply didn't fit in. They were beautiful, popular, cheerleader types. So yeah, when it came time for AI, I didn't really consider Gamma Phi because I still had some of that "but I'm not a beauty queen, why would they want me?" mentality. However, at the end of the day, it's not so much about one chapter as it is about finding an organization you believe in. Trust me, there will always be sisters that are different from each other. At the end of the day, we are all tied by the same bond and they are ALL my sisters.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 03-29-2005, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
Taking a chance on something relatively unfamiliar was the big breakthrough.

--add
I think that's interesting. I'm not sure if I would've been brave enough to take a chance on something I had no point of reference for, but that's just my own neurosis. I'm glad it worked out for you!
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 AM
Banned

Well, yes, my college experience DEFINATELY is why I pursued AI. I was a ZTA pledge in college and LOVED IT! I loved everything about ZTA and always regretted not following through because of sports.

And now...the weekend after next... I get to follow through!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
I would have to say that my collegiate experience did have an effect on my AI pursuit. I was able to see close up how different groups worked with each other. The groups that I was really impressed with 16 years ago are still groups that impress me today because the women are such fine women and go on to lead successful lives as wives, mothers, and in their careers.

However, the whole AI process really allowed me to look at all 26 groups and make decisions. I really do understand now what "Panhellenic" truly means. It seems to me that I am so close now to my new "Panhellenic" sisters here on GC even during times before I found out I was accepted for AI. I was welcomed by so many different groups while investigating, and have established some wonderful friendships that transcend state and country borders.

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 04-08-2005, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I was definitely influenced by my college experience...although my eyes have really been opened!

The organization that I call "Little Women" offered me a bid when I was in college. I loved everything that this org stands for, but I didn't feel that I could give enough to the chapter considering my many commitments at the time. I would love to be a supportive alumna to that chapter if the opportunity comes along.

There is another sorority that I came to know and love during Rush. I have a very high impression of this organization on a national level, but I would be a little afraid to approach this group since I was dropped just before pref night.

But since becoming a serious PNAI, I have investigated all of the NPC groups and some non-NPC sororities, and I have seen that there is SO MUCH out there!

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly, I don't think that my collegiate experience influenced me at all. The school where I went for most of my undergraduate years in the early 90's didn't have a Gamma Phi Beta chapter, now my future home.

I was such a different person 15 years ago. My ideals were different, I was immature and I had no clue what I wanted out of life. For Gods sake, I was even a registered Republician! {SHUDDER}

My friends were members of different sororities (ZTA, Phi Mu, AOII, Chi Omega) and they all had different personalities, so there was never any one sorority that made an impact on my life.

I couldn't imagine letting my "outsider" impressions of a sorority infulence me. It's different, though, with someone like Blueangel, who had the experience and history with ZTA, so she knew she was totally in sync with them.

All I know is that as a "mature" 33 year old woman (my birthday and wedding anniversary was yesterday), I know in my heart that Gamma Phi is where I was meant to be...
Old 08-04-2005, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey! Happy Birthday and Anniversary

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
You got married on your birthday? Man you are letting the husband off too easily!
But then again, he bettah not forget your birthday!

Happy Belated Birthday and anniversary

Quote:
Originally posted by FloridaTish
All I know is that as a "mature" 33 year old woman (my birthday and wedding anniversary was yesterday), I know in my heart that Gamma Phi is where I was meant to be...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone says I let him off easy, but if he ever forgets my birthday or anniversary, I can totally lay a massive guilt trip! Fortuneatly, he has never forgotten. When we were planning our wedding it was easiest to pick the summer since there were so many school-age kids (cousins) who were invited that we knew scheduling it during summer vacation would be best. Plus, that way the families could make a family trip to Disney while they were down here. My 30th birthday just happened to be on a Saturday, so that's the date we chose!