GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,055
0 members and 2,055 guests
No Members online

Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Banned

Paula Deen's use of the "N"-Word

Could Paula Deen's words bring down her empire?

I hope it does, because she's flat out a racist bitch.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

The South that long ago was a different time and culture. Most don't hold it against folks like Robert E. Lee or many of the founding fathers that they actually owned slaves. She was simply a product of the culture she grew up in. If she's now reformed, I hardly see the relevance today.

As far as the antebellum restaurant concept... a little strange? Yeah. Does it necessarily mean she's racist if she was considering an antebellum concept that actually looked antebellum? Maybe? I dunno. To her credit, the idea was never more than a discussion.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 AM

I'm not sure I would call her a racist at this point, as I do think it's what is in the heart that determines if someone is racist or not, but what I find troubling is her comment about not really knowing what offends people.

She may be from a different generation, but this is not the 50's or 60's. It is 2013. Unless she has lived her life in a bubble, I'm not sure how she can not know that word would not be offensive, regardless in my opinion, of where you are from in the U.S.

I posted that on my Facebook yesterday. I never called her a racist, just that I did not understand how she could make such a comment about not knowing what offends people. Someone else argued the point, and I've left it where it is as it was obvious she didn't read the article.

I'm not sure if it will hurt her empire. I think it took a bit of a hit last year or so when the diabetes scandal came out. This certainly would not be positive PR for her.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

She may, or may not, be a racist in the true sense of the word. But, she is definitely insensitive.

Not a smart move when you own a multi-million dollar company.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Looks like she is a no-show for the Today Show:

http://www.lex18.com/news/embattled-...WG1y54.twitter
Old 06-21-2013, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I’ve been a Paula Deen fan for several years, so this is perplexing for me because it presents a side of her (if real) that would turn me off. I’m not generally a fan of excusing free-thinking people who hold horrid opinions simply because they were once the product of a certain culture, particularly, when they trade on their public personality/demeanor (and its origins) to advance their “brand” in the public space.

Ultimately the public will decide if she remains or falls based on this. I'll watch for her response, as will a lot of people who have previously appreciated her work.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I am less perplexed by her use of the N word (she is from the South, and I hear so many people use that word that is does not surprise me in the least, especially given her age.) than I am of her desire to hire a bunch of black men to serve at a "real" southern wedding to mimic slaves. That just goes too far for me. I have no way to explain that and make her come out looking like anything but a bigot.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 06-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

The waiter thing was really weird. I can see wanting to hire middle aged wait staff. They'd probably be more professional and keep your event less stressful. But the only African American wait staff? I have no idea.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
Unless she has lived her life in a bubble,
Wasn't she an agoraphobe who didn't leave her house for many years?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I can't believe that there are people in this thread (and elsewhere) defending her. Holy hell, people, you are a white woman and use the N-word with impunity, you are a racist.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

With impunity? I don't believe I've read the same things you have. I read that she admitted to using the word "in the past" at a deposition, not that she uses it currently with impunity.

My father, who is around 70, grew up in NW Oklahoma. They had a black guy who worked for their family occasionally who went by "N_ Jim."

It was a different time.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
With impunity? I don't believe I've read the same things you have. I read that she admitted to using the word "in the past" at a deposition, not that she uses it currently with impunity.

My father, who is around 70, grew up in NW Oklahoma. They had a black guy who worked for their family occasionally who went by "N_ Jim."

It was a different time.
Calling a man "N_ Jim", even with his permission, is racist.

As for Ms. Deen, when asked if she used the N-word, she replied "of course".
Old 06-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Calling a man "N_ Jim", even with his permission, is racist.

As for Ms. Deen, when asked if she used the N-word, she replied "of course".
And by today's standards, in Enid, Oklahoma, everyone was racist. That was the culture. And if you're not from here, maybe you wouldn't understand, but "of course" is the only truthful answer anyone who grew up in the South in that era or even South-adjacent would say. It was very much like the movie, The Help My father, for a lot of his childhood, grew up in a similarly ostracized manner. His mother was courageous enough to get a divorce from his alcoholic, physically abusive father, and she was not accepted in polite society until she remarried (and she did pretty well in that department).

My father's step father was from Alabama, and was directly related to Gen. Joseph E. Johnston of the Confederate Army. They went on a tour of the Deep South during the 1960s, which included a trip to the old Plantation. At that time, the Plantation was up and running, they had black employees who resided in the former slave barracks who were compensated with company scrip, only redeemable at the company store, and for all intents and purposes, they remained slaves. The owner of this Plantation was the grandson of the General. He was an elderly man in a wheelchair who had a confederate flag blanket in his lap. He lectured them about the wrongs of the Civil Rights movement and whatever else you might imagine would be perfectly horrible to say.

People are a product of their times and cultures. Was it wrong by today's standards? No question. Are folks who are a product of their time and culture redeemable? Why not?

Last edited by Kevin; 06-21-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

So if you were to produce an antebellum movie, would you include white and asian slaves?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Well, now you're claiming to know her motivation there. It could have been just for historical accuracy. It's also important enough to know she had the good sense not to go through with it. None of the articles really goes much into the context of the discussion or how far the idea got.