GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,178
0 members and 1,178 guests
No Members online

Old 09-23-2016, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy What to do?

This year I transferred to a university in the south (not an SEC school) from a community college as a sophomore. I had a lot of reasons for transferring, the biggest being that I'm currently going through cancer treatment and had a few complications and issues during the 2015-2016 school year. I still have about 9 months left of treatment, but was feeling better and decided that I was really ready to transfer.

I really wanted to be apart of Greek life in college. I thought that a sorority would be a great way to make friends. I felt a little better about formal recruitment because of the upperclassmen quota at my university. I went into recruitment excited and with an open mind. I felt that the first round went really well and I thought I had some meaningful conversations with some of the girls. However, for second round I was only asked back to two houses with the potential to be asked back to eight and more than ten choices. The two I was asked back to were not my favorites, but I kept trying. Right before preference night, I was cut from one house and only had one left. I still tried, but it did not feel like the right fit. I ended up dropping right before I was supposed to list my preference. The combination of feeling really sad about the process and not feeling too good about the house I had left led me to drop.

I don't know if it's that I'm not as pretty anymore due to my hair being really short, or not knowing people in the houses, but I was really disappointed.

I've signed up for COB, and I'm starting to meet more people in sororities. Do you think there's a chance that COB or Winter Recruitment could work out for me? I wanted a chance to check out a few other sororities a little better. I'm not sure if there's anything I should do or even could do about this. But I'm still really upset almost three weeks later. Do you have any advice?
Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnm092802 View Post
This year I transferred to a university in the south (not an SEC school) from a community college as a sophomore. I had a lot of reasons for transferring, the biggest being that I'm currently going through cancer treatment and had a few complications and issues during the 2015-2016 school year. I still have about 9 months left of treatment, but was feeling better and decided that I was really ready to transfer.

I really wanted to be apart of Greek life in college. I thought that a sorority would be a great way to make friends. I felt a little better about formal recruitment because of the upperclassmen quota at my university. I went into recruitment excited and with an open mind. I felt that the first round went really well and I thought I had some meaningful conversations with some of the girls. However, for second round I was only asked back to two houses with the potential to be asked back to eight and more than ten choices. The two I was asked back to were not my favorites, but I kept trying. Right before preference night, I was cut from one house and only had one left. I still tried, but it did not feel like the right fit. I ended up dropping right before I was supposed to list my preference. The combination of feeling really sad about the process and not feeling too good about the house I had left led me to drop.

I don't know if it's that I'm not as pretty anymore due to my hair being really short, or not knowing people in the houses, but I was really disappointed.

I've signed up for COB, and I'm starting to meet more people in sororities. Do you think there's a chance that COB or Winter Recruitment could work out for me? I wanted a chance to check out a few other sororities a little better. I'm not sure if there's anything I should do or even could do about this. But I'm still really upset almost three weeks later. Do you have any advice?
I wouldn't assume off the bat that it was appearance related.

Honestly, not knowing women may have been the bigger issue. There also may be the transfer student issue. There are schools at which freshman students tend to have the advantage.

I'd ask yourself what is going to be different this time around? What are you doing differently this time to set yourself up for success in COR?

Additional side comment: Please make sure you're stable in your health before undertaking a sorority - especially if you are currently undergoing treatment. Your health and life are so much more important.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you meet the GPA requirement for the individual groups? Did you have recs for all of them? I can just about guarantee you that any school in the South is going to require them. Do you know any women from your area that are in any of these groups? Sad to say, if any of them know of your health situation, that may have impacted those chapters' decisions on you.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I did meet the GPA requirements. I had a GPA about .5 over the Panhellenic average and about .3 higher than the highest. My health only came up at about 4 houses. All of the rest, it didn't. I had Recs for all but 4 houses. A few I even had more than one for. I really didn't know anyone at the time because I am out of state. Do you have any ideas about how I can improve my chances for COB?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I wouldn't assume off the bat that it was appearance related.

Honestly, not knowing women may have been the bigger issue. There also may be the transfer student issue. There are schools at which freshman students tend to have the advantage.

I'd ask yourself what is going to be different this time around? What are you doing differently this time to set yourself up for success in COR?

Additional side comment: Please make sure you're stable in your health before undertaking a sorority - especially if you are currently undergoing treatment. Your health and life are so much more important.

Do you have any ideas about how to improve my chances for COB? I'm starting to meet more people here which I think may help. Also, my health was a big reason why I dropped after preference. I hope that by second semester I am doing much better. I was really excited about hopefully going Greek.

Last edited by pnm092802; 09-23-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Not knowing but suspecting the campus, you were really at a decided disadvantage with that low a GPA as a transfer and that your health came up. I can't say what you can do beyond just being yourself. You had an opportunity and you declined it. That does not bode well. Be prepared to accept whatever you get if you go thru COB.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

My GPA wasn't low. It was above a 3.75 at my transfer college and above a 4.0 in high school. Why should my cancer put me at a disadvantage? Doesn't it show perseverance that I've transferred and am trying recruitment? It's not my fault that I got cancer! Also I wasn't offered a spot. I could have been dropped after preference night and I really didn't want to experience being completely cut from more than ten houses.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnm092802 View Post
My GPA wasn't low. It was above a 3.75 at my transfer college and above a 4.0 in high school. Why should my cancer put me at a disadvantage? Doesn't it show perseverance that I've transferred and am trying recruitment? It's not my fault that I got cancer! Also I wasn't offered a spot. I could have been dropped after preference night and I really didn't want to experience being completely cut from more than ten houses.
You were invited to pref which means you were guaranteed a bid if you attended their party and put them on your bid card. By withdrawing, you turned them down. That's the reality of the situation. And I know that you had nothing to do with contracting cancer but the chapters are looking for women who will be there long term. You're a junior transfer and are ill. That automatically puts you at a disadvantage. I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong - just that it is reality. And pardon the GPA remark but the way you explain it here is not the way you stated it before. You went in with a lot of deficits. You declined your option. It doesn't bode well for you in COB. I'm just trying to be realistic - not mean. But you won't ever know if you don't try. If you can get strong personal recs for the chapters that are doing COB, that's your best bet. And be prepared - as I said before - to accept whatever you are offered. If not, don't sign up.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You were invited to pref which means you were guaranteed a bid if you attended their party and put them on your bid card. By withdrawing, you turned them down. That's the reality of the situation. And I know that you had nothing to do with contracting cancer but the chapters are looking for women who will be there long term. You're a junior transfer and are ill. That automatically puts you at a disadvantage. I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong - just that it is reality. And pardon the GPA remark but the way you explain it here is not the way you stated it before. You went in with a lot of deficits. You declined your option. It doesn't bode well for you in COB. I'm just trying to be realistic - not mean. But you won't ever know if you don't try. If you can get strong personal recs for the chapters that are doing COB, that's your best bet. And be prepared - as I said before - to accept whatever you are offered. If not, don't sign up.
The way the system was explained to me was that if you have the max number houses left on preference night and you don't suicide, you're gauranteed a bid. I only had one house left, which wasn't the maximum number. Therefore, no, I'm not sure I would have definitely gotten a bid. I've even heard stories about people like me getting completely dropped solely because they put one house, but in my case, that would have been my only choice. I'm sorry if the GPA information was confusing. I'm a sophomore, not a junior. What do you mean by strong personal recs? Like people vouching for me?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I have dealt with cancer around me lately far more than anyone should have to. I'm going to make a couple of huge leaps here so please forgive me if I am completely off the mark. You have had a seriously sucky couple years. Your self confidence is shot because you don't look as good as you think you should and you probably are not feeling like a ray of sunshine either. So you are continuing on with your life (and we can all applaud that) and you are trying to live your life as normally as possible.

You weren't prepared for how exhausting, both physically and emotionally, rush can be, and you didn't do as well in the process as you'd hoped or expected. I can tell you the beauty queens of America have moments feeling the exact same way going through rush. I remember the very first time I ever felt inadequate in my entire life, and it was sitting in the union with 600 other girls the night before rush started. This process is brutal.

So, what can you do. COB is a good choice for you because the schedule isn't as regimented and it is neither as emotionally or physically as exhausting. HOWEVER, the strongest, most popular chapters will not be rushing so you do need to be open to the least prestigious chapters on campus. Including the one you dropped, if they will let you. But remember that the goal you're after is friends and a sense of normalcy in your life. You can get all that with ANY chapter on campus. Find girls you like in any of the chapters who are inviting you to events. And remember it's making friends, not a beauty contest.

ETA: and yes, you would have. Had you have attended all of the parties to which you were invited, you would have been offered a bid. You were invited to one. Therefore the worry portion of the process was over. But that's water under the bridge.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

It is the maximum # YOU have to attend, not the maximum POTENTIAL you might attend. It doesn't matter if the campus maximum for pref was 3, your max for pref was 1, because that was your only invitation. Had you attended and signed the MRABA, you would have had a bid. That is how it works. PNMs who maximize their options means PNMs who attend all the parties they have invitations to each round.

Disregard the cancer component for a minute and take a good, strong look at you as a PNM. How did you compare with PNMs you met during rush? Were you as friendly? Outgoing? Relaxed? Conversational?Did your outfits look similar to what the other PNMs were wearing? Were you yourself, or someone you thought the sororities were looking for?

How did your resume' stack up? were you able to participate in clubs at your former college? How about leadership positions? At this point HS activities are a moot point-you need college activities. Did you have collegiate volunteer hours? HS volunteer hours don't count anymore.

Why did you not have recs to all the sororities? Could you not find alumnae to write them? Were you not interested in them because you didn't want to join those 4? Do you think you could find the missing recs before COB activities? Some sororities require a recommendation for each new member before she is pledged. It has nothing to do with what is on the Campus Panhellenic webpage-it is a requirement of these national organizations.

Did you have to take some time off from college for treatment and recovery? Are you older than the average PNM? Even a couple of years can make a difference. i.e., average sophomore PNM is 19. If you are 22 as a sophomore that could be a problem.

Were all your credits accepted by your new college? Some colleges accept hours, but don't list a GPA until you have earned one at the present institution. If the records the sororities saw did not display a Present Day University GPA that might have hurt you.

Titchou means were your recs from people who have known you intimately for (at least) several years, or were they the "generic" ones a PNM might get from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 09-24-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Good advice (and questions to consider) given to you to help you improve your chances for COB or if you should go through formal again next year when you are a junior.

You stated that "I ended up dropping right before I was supposed to list my preference. The combination of feeling really sad about the process and not feeling too good about the house I had left led me to drop." In another post you stated "Also, my health was a big reason why I dropped after preference." Seems like you weren't pleased with how recruitment went for you compared to other PNMs, and you also didn't fully understand how the system works. FWIW, I know several young alumnae who were dropped from all but one or two houses early on, for various reasons. Although they were surprised/shocked/disappointed, they stuck it out, went through the process, ended up in a chapter, and two became president of their chapters. My point: you have had a bite at the apple and you walked away. I hope you will get another bite. I also wish you strength as you continue your recovery journey.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I was as pretty as most of the girls. I wore pretty natural but also what I thought was really pretty makeup, but my hair is much shorter than most of the girls. I felt that most of the houses I had conversations with on the first days were very relaxed and conversational. It seemed like the other girls were enjoying the conversation too. I didn't get asked back to the houses where I thought that the conversation went well. My outfits were pretty similar. I tried to be myself the entire time. I was at a community college and still had treatments, so I didn't have as much time. But I did participate in two extracurricular activities and one had a huge leadership component at a national level. I didn't really have any collegiate volunteer hours last year as my time was limited. I felt that that would be understood. All of my credits transferred. My GPA didn't come over. But that's a university policy. I didn't have letters because I didn't know people in those sororities. Can the people who write them be actives at other schools? Or do they have to be alumni? 5 of my letters were people I had known for many years. One was even from an aunt. I'll try to find the missing letters. I turned 20 about a month ago. I didn't take anytime off of college. Do chapters retain the letters? I'm also starting to get involved in more campus organizations. One is a religious organization though and I don't think I should bring it up? I don't know. I'm only in three clubs right now, since I'm in a STEM major and am busy, is three enough? Also, I'll definitely have a GPA at this school by spring recruitment, but I don't know about COB, will that help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
It is the maximum # YOU have to attend, not the maximum POTENTIAL you might attend. It doesn't matter if the campus maximum for pref was 3, your max for pref was 1, because that was your only invitation. Had you attended and signed the MRABA, you would have had a bid. That is how it works. PNMs who maximize their options means PNMs who attend all the parties they have invitations to each round.

Disregard the cancer component for a minute and take a good, strong look at you as a PNM. How did you compare with PNMs you met during rush? Were you as friendly? Outgoing? Relaxed? Conversational?Did your outfits look similar to what the other PNMs were wearing? Were you yourself, or someone you thought the sororities were looking for?

How did your resume' stack up? were you able to participate in clubs at your former college? How about leadership positions? At this point HS activities are a moot point-you need college activities. Did you have collegiate volunteer hours? HS volunteer hours don't count anymore.

Why did you not have recs to all the sororities? Could you not find alumnae to write them? Were you not interested in them because you didn't want to join those 4? Do you think you could find the missing recs before COB activities? Some sororities require a recommendation for each new member before she is pledged. It has nothing to do with what is on the Campus Panhellenic webpage-it is a requirement of these national organizations.

Did you have to take some time off from college for treatment and recovery? Are you older than the average PNM? Even a couple of years can make a difference. i.e., average sophomore PNM is 19. If you are 22 as a sophomore that could be a problem.

Were all your credits accepted by your new college? Some colleges accept hours, but don't list a GPA until you have earned one at the present institution. If the records the sororities saw did not display a Present Day University GPA that might have hurt you.

Titchou means were your recs from people who have known you intimately for (at least) several years, or were they the "generic" ones a PNM might get from a friend of a friend of a friend?

Last edited by pnm092802; 09-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I'm going to try to be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
^^^ Good advice (and questions to consider) given to you to help you improve your chances for COB or if you should go through formal again next year when you are a junior.

You stated that "I ended up dropping right before I was supposed to list my preference. The combination of feeling really sad about the process and not feeling too good about the house I had left led me to drop." In another post you stated "Also, my health was a big reason why I dropped after preference." Seems like you weren't pleased with how recruitment went for you compared to other PNMs, and you also didn't fully understand how the system works. FWIW, I know several young alumnae who were dropped from all but one or two houses early on, for various reasons. Although they were surprised/shocked/disappointed, they stuck it out, went through the process, ended up in a chapter, and two became president of their chapters. My point: you have had a bite at the apple and you walked away. I hope you will get another bite. I also wish you strength as you continue your recovery journey.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Recommendations have to be from any member of the particular organization - AAA rec has to be from an AAA,etc. Some groups do not take collegian signed recs, some do. None require them to be from the particular chapter on that campus. So an AAA alum from Big State School U can sign one for her chapter at little liberal arts school. Your best bet is alumna as they will probably have known you longer and better. Ask the women who wrote recs for other groups if they know women in the groups you need. Greek women know other Greek women. You really have to network to find them.