GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,195
3 members and 2,192 guests
Cookiez17, oncegreek, Xidelt

Old 06-10-2002, 11:02 AM

All GC'ers - requesting your help

Ladies and gentlemen:

I have recently been taken to task, in a very public manner, for a very old post of mine that contained some negative words about a particular GLO. This is not the first time something like this has happened - not just to me but to others as well.

I have spent the past few days going back through my old posts and editing or deleting anything that might be considered controversial or demeaning to any specific GLO. For example, I have seriously watered down my rush story that I posted several months ago, and I have deleted all my posts on the recent "Jewish Houses" thread. The only cases in which I have not edited my posts are cases where the thread in question is locked.

If there is a post of mine that you find hurtful or negative, please PM me and bring it to my attention so that I may edit or delete it before I leave GC.

Thank you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2002, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Exclamation

This isn't to aephi alum directly, but to everyone:

You'd be surprised how many people on GC have gotten into trouble with their posts on GC. For example, one person told me that a post about recruitment was taken out of context and this person's chapter got a rush infraction. Also, remarks that PNMs have made have gotten them cut. Just a reminder that even though we are slightly anonymous, you never know who is reading (or even spying on you). I know sometimes we all let our tongues wag a bit and our comments can be easily misconstrued. Lets just all make an effort to re-read our posts and think about what we're writing before we hit that "submit reply" button.
Old 06-10-2002, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Re: All GC'ers - requesting your help

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

If there is a post of mine that you find hurtful or negative, please PM me and bring it to my attention so that I may edit or delete it before I leave GC.

Thank you.
I really hope that doesn't mean you are planning on leaving GC anytime soon!!!

To Be Rather Than To Seem To Be
Old 06-10-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

You have the luxury of deleting any post as you wish.

Usually, after a few days, things get old. In other words, forgotten about.

It's not necessary to leave GC for whatever you did, MANY have done A LOT worse.

And yes EVERYONE, for the love of mother nature, do not assume that this board is 100% anonymous!
Not so much of the GCers founding out who you are, but people from your GLO and others founding out about GC.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 06-10-2002 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:22 PM

AEPhi,

Please stick around. We need the wisdom of experience -- whether we agree with it or not.

I often get terribly frustrated with other members, but then I think about how mad they must sometimes get with me. We all have different styles. The only things I really dislike are personal attacks and people who assume they know a fact -- but really have no proof, but don't label it as such.

The important thing is to get a lot of different opinions and then make a conscious, educated decision. For that, we need input from everyone.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

AEPhi Alum, I also hope that you will not be leaving GC. We would certainly be the lesser for it.

This is a good reminder to everyone that we are posting in a public forum, and sometimes our remarks have repercussions that no one could anticipate. I know that recently I've been astounded at the rudeness of some of the posts that have flying around here. I've been guilty of making rash comments myself, and I do apologize for that, but I hope that my positive contributions would allow people to overlook the occassional indiscreet comment.

Everyone, please let's be careful with our posts. I'm not saying that we should sensor ourselves, but let's offer constructive criticism instead of making flippant comments that only aggravate our fellow Greeks.

Let's keep GC the happy place that it is.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:25 PM

To add a bit to LeslieAGD's post:

Not only have chapter's gotten in trouble but individual's have also. I stated this in another post of mine but, believe it or not, it very easy to trace a post back to the originator. The Internet does not bring any sort of comfort of anonymity. We have had a few people get in trouble with their Nationals and with their school. Please, for your own sake, watch your words.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
Oh, if only that were true! I recently received a livid PM from a GC'er whom I hadn't even known EXISTED before, much less had ever conversed with because I had accidently transposed the two letters of her GLO several weeks ago when I referred to it in a post.

The kicker was that I knew I had done it, but couldn't go back and fix it because the thread was locked. Weeks had passed and I had forgotten about it, but this person was super-de-duperly offended even after I wrote her back and apologized to her! I guess you never can tell what's going to set someone off!

Anyhoo...AEPhi Alum, don't dare go anywhere! You are such an asset to this board and your posts are so well written and fun to read! If you feel that you made a mistake, well, you fixed it the best you can so just put in the past and move ahead
Old 06-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

aephialum, I don't know what you're talking about but please stay!
Old 06-10-2002, 04:05 PM

I've gotten so many PM's and posts asking me to stay, that there is no way I can just walk away from you guys! But I think I'll be staying away from the more controversial topics from now on.

If I should offend anyone with any post, past or future, please PM me and bring it to my attention. I have no intention of putting down anyone here or any GLO... this board is supposed to be about greek unity, after all... but I'm only human, and my foot does occasionally find its way into my mouth.

Several people have pointed out that, while we may think we're all anonymous here, we're really not. A lot of us have our affiliations and/or universities in our usernames or sigs. In a lot of cases, several people from different GLO's at the same school post here. So we do have to take care what we say.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

AEP you better stick around! You have many many many Friends around here!

Ya know you can PM or E-M us at any time!

Do Not Woose out on us! Ya Hear! That is an edict from the King!

Is good to be the King!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-11-2002, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
You have the luxury of deleting any post as you wish.

This may be true. However, I posted a threat in the Phi Mu board and I really want it off. I cannot delete that thread or the post, just edit it to erase what I said. But even doin that, there are still posts under there that mention the problem that I mentioned. The Phi Mu board doesn't have a moderator, so the threat can't be deleted. I've emailed John and god forbid he write back. I've asked numerous times so PLEASE if u posted there delete or edit ur post because I really want to invite my sisters and friends to join GC!!

KLTC
Old 06-12-2002, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Aephi thanks for staying around!

We can't all agree on everything... Otherwise this wouldn't be half the fun it is..

So all we have to do is disagree agreeably.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma