GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,172
3 members and 2,169 guests
davidjuioro5780, MSKKG, oncegreek

Old 06-06-2001, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Charters revoked by Nationals

Has anyone been part of a fraternity or sorority chapter whose charter has been taken away or surrendered? What were teh circumstances around that? What has happened since?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2001, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

In most instances, when a chapter is revoked, the Nationals will not go back on that campus until all of the existing members are gone from the school. LXA will normally wait 3-5 years before re- sestablishing a house on the campus unless there are over whelming circumstances. What these might be I would not venture a guess.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-06-2001, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Funnyface - I've seen both surrenders and withdrawls. The only surrender I'm aware of was at the University of Maryland - bad situation, the whole Greek system being forced into seriously limited pledge periods, etc (that's another subject), but the chapter decided they couldn't handle the political/legal struggle between the school and the General Fraternity and they gave up.

I've seen lots of charter revocations - for hazing, alcohol violations, grades, etc. Normally, the members are retired into alumni status, all are allowed to graduate, and then we consider recolonization after 3 to 4 years.

Quote:
Originally posted by fancyface:
Has anyone been part of a fraternity or sorority chapter whose charter has been taken away or surrendered? What were teh circumstances around that? What has happened since?
Old 06-06-2001, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Do chapters always leave for good or do some decide to go local? One thing I've always wondered is that if a national goes local and then decides to go national again like 10 years later, would they have to join up with the same national org or could they go through the process again?
Old 06-06-2001, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kappagirl00:
One thing I've always wondered is that if a national goes local and then decides to go national again like 10 years later, would they have to join up with the same national org or could they go through the process again?
If it was 10 years later, they could easily go with another national, because none of them would be bound to national #1 if they were all locally initiated. However, the alums of national #1 might not be too jazzed about that decision (especially if they have supported the local). But there are times when groups just refuse to come back to certain schools no matter how much the alums want it.

Old 06-07-2001, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Quote:
Originally posted by fancyface:
Sounds like a setup to me.

Old 06-07-2001, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by KABillyMac:

Not really. For example, the chapters that were involved in the anti-gay float at Colorado a year or two ago. Even though the incident was caused by one or two members, the chapters involved knew that the fallout was going to affect the entire chapter. They surrendered their charter to save what little reputation they had left on campus.

Sadly, sometimes a national office is forced to remove charters from chapters for hazing, ongoing membership decline, etc. Trust me, they don't like doing it anymore than the collegiate members like having to be on the receiving end of such action. But, you need to look at the overall health of the fraternity.

I was involved in the chapter reorganization that Hootie spoke of. It was a very, very difficult decision to make. Only 3 members of the 'old' chapter accepted the challenge to make changes to the way things were done and work with the alumnae to reorganize the chapter. The chapter is quite strong now - sucessfully recruiting strong members and winning awards on the province and national level.

Barbara

Old 06-07-2001, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Chapters can also be recolonized in short periods of time. For example, the Alpha Gam chapter at U of M was recolonized this past fall. It wasn't for because of negative issues or anything, numbers just got really low. Tonya (UMGirl) is one of their new members so maybe she can tell you more about this.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:13 PM

Barbara,

I think what BillyMac (scuse me,KABillyMac ) is saying is that he thinks the poster's question is a setup - hoping someone will say "My chapter got yanked for doing hideous hazing XYZ" so they can repeat it, blow it up etc, etc. Am I right KABM?
Old 06-07-2001, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Either KABillyMac is saying that or that he thinks it was posted by the tag team, who continue to scream their butts off because Chi O keeps operating on the SHSU campus, and they haven't got anything better to do than obsess on that and on the fact that it shouldn't be long until the Chi Omegas regain full recognition.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:15 PM

PnguinTrax,

Your point is good, but the university in question was Colorado State as opposed to Colorado. That situation was particularly eggregous (sp?) because it allegedly alluded to the murder of Matthew Shepherd, the gay student from the Unviersity of Wyoming who was murdered shortly before the Homecoming float incident.

DeltAlum

Old 06-08-2001, 08:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Thumbs up

33, you got it. Just sounds like a question for someone to use against us. Speaking of the tag team, I think that one of our new regulars could possibly be one of them so dont touch that dial and I will be open for any side bets yall would be interested in
Old 06-08-2001, 05:51 PM

Geez...

Two more chapaters bite the dust for alleged hazing.

DKE at Washington and TKE at Ohio State.

And the Dekes at Washington are in the middle of wrongful death litigation regarding a suicide which happened just after a "hell week" type of initiation a couple years ago. The University and DKE Nationals are also named in the action.

Are we ever going to learn?

DeltAlum
Old 06-09-2001, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

KABillyMac,

I second that bet.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally posted by KABillyMac:

Old 06-10-2001, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member