GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,179
0 members and 2,179 guests
No Members online

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Dropped sorority but I went to join new colony but I have to wait a year? help

Last edited by sptgirl; 10-22-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptgirl View Post
Right now I am a freshman at UNLV and went through sorority recruitment this fall. The whole time I was told that I would know which sorority was right for me. On day 2 I was called back to 4 sororities and at the end of the day I did not have that feeling everyone was talking about I would have. The next 2 sororities called me back one was my second choice and the other I did not like at all! after seeing those 2 sororities we had to go and list our preference. When I told the lady I wanted to "suicide" and just put down one and not the one I did not like at all she looked at me shocked and kept telling me I was making a mistake and over and over again she said "Are you sure?!" I being new to the whole sorority process and this being tired and exhausted since this was the last thing of recruitment I took her advice and put both sororities down. Well as luck would have it I got the one I did not want at all. Within a week I dropped it because I knew this was not the sorority for me all the girls though nice had tattoos and dropped F bombs more than I would like to hear. Then I found out about Tri Sigma they are colonizing at UNLV I went to their events and had an info view and fell in love with them I finally had that feeling of knowing this was the right sorority for me everyone was talking about. But they told me even though they would like to offer me a bid they are confined because I am tied to the sorority I dropped. I shocked and disappointed! I was basically pressured to put both sororities down and now I have to wait a year to rush again. I have a learning disability which means I have a hard time comprehending some things I was unaware that but putting both sororities down I was signing my life a away for year! I have been trying to contact the National Sorority people but being the weekend they are not there. If anyone has any advice or someone I can talk to please please let me know! thanks
There is no one you can talk to. You signed a bid card which binds you to that chapter for a year as long as you stay at that school. No exceptions.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

If anyone has any advice or suggestions please respond! it would be greatly appreciated
God Bless
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If anyone has any advice or suggestions please respond! it would be greatly appreciated
God Bless
The only thing you can do is wait a year and rush next fall. That is your only option unless you transfer schools.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have a learning disability which means I have a hard time comprehending some things I was unaware that but putting both sororities down I was signing my life a away for year!
Please don't use a learning disability as an excuse for not understanding what you were signing. You are an adult & in college now. It is time to be a big girl and learn to live with the consequences of your decisions. Consider that you may have taken a spot in that pledge class that another young woman would have killed to have. I am really sorry that you didn't understand the bid card that you were signing. Be more careful when putting your signature on things in the future. Contracts mean things and the MRABA is a form of a contract.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
I being new to the whole sorority process and this being tired and exhausted since this was the last thing of recruitment I took her advice and put both sororities down. Well as luck would have it I got the one I did not want at all. Within a week I dropped it because I knew this was not the sorority for me
This little excerpt sounds a lot like what happened to me.

In any case, yes, you do have to wait a year, or possibly until the next formal recruitment process (which would be the next school year). You can check with the Panhellenic experts, but I am pretty confident that is the case.

A year is not that long in the grand scheme of things and you can use the time to get to know the new colony members.

Also, bear in mind that NPC operates from a standpoint of "mutual selection" - that is, you choose the sorority, and the sorority chooses you.

There is no guarantee that Sigma Sigma Sigma will extend a bid to you after your 1 year waiting period has elapsed, so you need to be prepared for this, and aware of it as a possibility.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by sptgirl; 10-22-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by sptgirl; 10-22-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input! And Patti aka "theta lady" I was not using it as an excuse just a fact and part of my story thank you.
Quote:
and your reply is rude and not necessary you do not know me and because of you I look at your sorority and negative light. Fly your kite else where please!
You may have sealed your fate and kissed your chances goodbye.

UNLV is not that big of a campus. It wouldn't be the first time someone's recruitment/chance at being Greek is ruined because of stuff she spouted on GreekChat.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
There is no guarantee that Sigma Sigma Sigma will extend a bid to you after your 1 year waiting period has elapsed, so you need to be prepared for this, and aware of it as a possibility.
She also doesn't know that they would have accepted her for their colony this year if she were not bound to the other sorority. Even though her interpretation was was that they said they would love to give her a bid but couldn't, I don't think they were being anything beyond polite and classy at that point and trying to let her down easy. You can read too much into polite words sometimes when you have your hopes up. I also think it is nice that she let the sororities at UNLV see how she treats people when she doesn't get what she wants by posting here.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, dear sptgirl - there is no Kappa Alpha Theta chapter at UNLV, fortunately. Take that however you wish.

I am happy to report that there are many other fine chapters, and perhaps you will come to understand that one meaning of PANHELLENIC is that we cooperate and support one another. We here on GC all have friends in many other GLOs, not just NPC GLOs.

As a person with severe ADHD, I recommend that you learn now to step away from the keyboard and remember that what your inside voice is saying or thinking (in your head) should mainly stay there and not be shared with the outside world. Respond, don't react. My ADHD is not an excuse for anything I say or do. I am the captain of my ship, and the architect of my own demise, as are you. Accepting responsibility for yourself in every way is a hallmark of maturity.

Good luck in the future.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity