GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 891
0 members and 891 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2002, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
Cool Fewdfreak's Rush Thread!

Today was the first day of rush week at the University of Iowa. I moved into my dorm today, which took about three hours. Then my mom took me out to lunch and then she had to go to a parents meeting for those who are going through rush. I got my textbooks, then she came back, and my rush kick off started at seven. To the kick off I wore a aqua key neck shirt with a white shirt underneath and a knee length jean skirt from the Gap.

We all met in the student union and got little cards with our names and Recruitment Counselor group. We met with our Rho Chi's, and mine is super nice. We all introduced ourselves and played a little ice breaker where were talked about ourselves and where we are from. Then we mixed with the guys that are going through fraternity recruitment and listened to a great speaker that spoke on behalf of the Greek Community. This woman was very eloquent and well-spoken, and she sounded so professional. After that, the speaker addressed a panel of Greek students on brotherhood, sisterhood, what the Greek bond is like, etc... Then we met with out PX's again, and she handed us out recruitment booklets. They have photographs of the houses in there, and all of them are beautiful. I'd seen some of the houses before, but they are so nice. I can't believe I get to go to them tomorrow. In the booklet we have spaces where we fill out how we felt about each sorority after we visited them. Then our Rho Chi answered questions and we filled out forms. She told us the standards of what not to say ie. boys, partying, and bank accounts (what your parents do for a living). We have to meet with our PX tomorrow at 7:30 AM , and then the parties start at nine, and last till nine. We visit all 14 sororities for like a half and hour. I really liked today and thought was very informative and well-presented. The only thing that bothered me were some kind of rude PNM's, they answered their cell phones during the speaker, and kind of joked around. Also, some girls talked about drinking and partying, and how they wished that they had more parties, and they wanted to ask the sorority members about that because that was the reason they wanted to join and such. They must have been watching Sorority Life too much because that was all they thought sororities were! Hopefully they will see what they really are about.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, tomorrow is parties all day long!

Lauren
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2002, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Lauren, as a proud graduate of Iowa, I am so excited to hear your story!! Please don't spare us any details...I want to know *everything* so I can see how things have changed or stayed the same since I went through rush ages ago. You are going to have SO much fun!!!
Old 08-20-2002, 02:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Lauren,

Thanks for posting about your experince! It sounds like your rush week is really well coordinated, and I hope you have alot of fun.

The best of luck to you!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:52 AM

Lauren, I loved hearing about your first night's activities. It sounds like Iowa knows how to start recruitment off right! Have a great time today, if you're not too tired tonight please stop in and tell us all about it!

Good luck, pamper your feet (my mantra for all PNMs this year) and have fun.

Christin
Old 08-20-2002, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
Good luck this week!
Old 08-20-2002, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Before we go any further....would someone mind posting a list of sororities at U of Iowa for me? I'm guessing there is a lot of chapters....which always makes these threads even more exciting!
Old 08-20-2002, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

More rush threads! ARGH! What am i going to do after tomorrow when I no longer have to work all day on a computer? Will i be plugging my laptop into the network in class and instead of taking notes check out Greekchat??? ARGH! This is like a friggin' drug. I can't stay away Anybody have a 12-step program developed yet?

From the U of Iowa website, the following NPC sororities are represented there:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta (colony)
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2002, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Good luck, hon! My big grew up down the street from the sorority houses in Iowa City. She used to sell them Girl Scout Cookies.

I'm glad the RC's told you about which conversation topics to avoid. We have the 5 Bs: Boys, Booze, Bashes (includes both parties and bashing other people/groups), Bible, Bank. Also avoid heavy political issues, though if you're politically aware and active (like I am), you can safely mention that. Just don't engage in debate.

I'm sure you'll do fine. You sound like you've got the right mindset. Bet you know which house I'm pulling for.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Good Luck and keep us updated!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

From the U of Iowa website, the following NPC sororities are represented there:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta (colony)
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Zeta Tau Alpha

Good luck!
I get to be on a quick break from rushing this round - yay! my face hurts from smiling so much - but i'm loving every second of it! This is addressed to all of those curious about the Iowa Greek system, not Lauren since I'm not supposed to be talking to PNMs outside of rush events

Delta Zeta - we're not going to be a colony for long anymore full chapter status soon - yay !!

And!!! Alpha Epsilon Phi is colonixing here this year - yay!!! So that brings our grand chapter total to 14! Every house is AMAZING in my opinion and the PNMs are in for some tough choices

Last edited by IowaHawkeye; 08-22-2002 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Lauren-The only thing that bothered me were some kind of rude PNM's, they answered their cell phones during the speaker, and kind of joked around. Also, some girls talked about drinking and partying, and how they wished that they had more parties, and they wanted to ask the sorority members about that because that was the reason they wanted to join and such.

Sweetie, there will ALWAYS be PNMs like this and, they USUALLY find a home IF they can hide it from the actives or IF they find a "fit". BUT, the actives are pretty smart girls and if that is NOT representative of their sorority, the will figure it out.

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANOTHER THOUGHT.

Have a WONDERFUL time and thank you for joining GC and sharing-It spices things up!
"These are the days of our lives."........LITERALLY!
Old 08-20-2002, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Fewdfreak,
Sounds like you're off to a great start. Thanks so much for letting us in on your first day! Justamom is right, pay absolutely no attention to those pnms who are just out for letters and a party, they have nothing to do with you, if you keep your heart and mind open you'll end up in just the right place.
Good luck and let us know how everything develops!
violets
Old 08-20-2002, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

good luck lauren! let us know how your day went!
xoxo
chantillylace
Old 08-21-2002, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Fewdfreak,

Hope today went well for you in Recruitment. Be sure to post your story for us when you have a chance. Take care and good luck!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Fewdfreak
Back from round one!

I am finally back from round one here at Iowa! I am so tired that you would not believe it!

I started my day at 6:00 am to get dressed and ready for the 7:30 meeting with my Rho Chi. We then met with her in the lobby where she passed out name cards (so the sororities know we visited their chapters) and our nametags.

For those of you who want the full specs on what I wore I am total Express/Gap girl so I wore khaki-colored stretch capris with a light blue/aqua colored sleeveless blouse. It has a collar and criss-crosses in the front for a v-neck, and ties with a little string belt. I also wore some little heels that were about two inches high, they are a tannish color, which matches my purse. I wore no watch (which was hard!) silver big link bracelet, it almost looks like a mini belt, and a wire necklace with a aqua colored square glass pendant. You would not believe how many complements I got on this, ie. "My sister has that same necklace", "I like your necklace", and my PX even said that I was color coordinated.

We all rode the campus bus over to the central meeting area, which is a dorm. We then got back on a bus to go to the houses.

I was sort of scared a little before going in, not knowing what to say, how they will do things, but my recruitment counselor gave us tips and said that the girls that rush us will be sitting on the floor, so I knew a little of what to expect.

House #1) I immediately felt at ease with these girls, any aprehension that I had faded when I shook hands with the girl that first rushed me. She was really down to earth, and the girls in this house seemed to have it togeher. I asked TONS of questions from if the girls in their house were active on campus, to how they promote scholarship. A lot of the girls in the house here had similar majors to me (pre-med) or knew someone that did. I liked this because they seemed academically-minded and it seemed like they were really dedicated. We didn't get to spend the whole 30 minutes here because we had to walk to another chapter, so I didn't get to talk that much, but I definately got a warm feeling here, and it put me at ease because it was so easy to make conversation. Good mood maker for the rest of the day.

House #2) Outside of this house the Red Bull energy drink truck drove by and gave us all FREE Red Bulls. I drank some, and then we had to go inside, so I had to take it with me. The girls in this house didn't really talk about the sorority, but like what I did etc... and it seemed like there were many gaps in conversations. It was all about what I did, and not about the sorority, and they really just talked about activities and what I did in high school and over the summer. A girl passing by stopped and complemented me on my necklace. One girl was really nice, and the other were okay. One girl dropped the Red Bull and her water on the carpet there, so I felt bad for her, because that must have been embarrassing. Here it was a litter harder to make conversation, so it was okay.

House #3) This house was nice. I went inside and I immediately liked it. They seem really laid-back, and the first girl that rushed me I talked to for a while, and we talked about tons of things about the sorority. I really like it when they talk about the sorority, and answer questions rather than just small talk. I think I impressed her (hopefully) because she told the girl that rushed me second there that I had really good questions. I talked to three girls here, and we talked about so much. All of it was about the sorority here, so I was really impressed by these ladies. The reasons they were at the sorority also were good reasons.

House #4) This house I thought the girls were very well put together. The people that rushed me, however, all asked the same thing, so I didn't really get to make my mark here. Additionally, I didn't get a chance to ask questions or hear anything about the sorority or things like that. It was basically all small talk, so I don't think that I really connected all that well because my impression of them wasn't that good. I know that that's not the whole chapter though, because the girl sitting next to me was getting questions and answers like I wanted to have. I don't think I'll be invited back here because I probably wasn't that memorable and the conversation had some uncomfortable pauses.

House #5) Complements on my shirt here. The girls here were really nice, and the girl I had was down to earth. We talked about academics and sisterhood, and they seemed really close there. We chatted a lot about the philanthropy and the dance marathon, and how they are involved in campus activities. They also have a good GPA and and seemed like real girls. The girl that rushed me even said we are a house full of real girls. It was nice here, I got to talk to nice girls, but I this time was cut short too because we had to walk somewhere again.

House #6) Complements on the necklace here. This house had some very beautiful girls. The girls here were also some of the nicest. When I walked in I was paired up with one and we talked a lot about school, and then I asked her questions about the philanthropy and such. I like their philanthropy and one girl was strong about it. There were a lot of girls with my major here, and they have a strong scholarship/academic program from what the girl that rushed me said. Also they have a super strong sisterhood, and seemed totally down to earth and just like nice girls with common interests. I really was impressed here and really enjoyed my time.

House #7) Here we went into the union and saw a presentation on the new colony here at Iowa, AEPhi. The women speaking were very good and seemed very classy. I think it would be very nice to be about to start a chapter because you would be able to decide things and it sounds very appealing, but I don't know if I would drop out of rush. Things could happen in a week though.

House #8) This chapter was very nice. I had some very good and in-depth conversations here and they seem like an honest, nice, and tight-knit group of girls. I asked about their philanthropy and one girl was very involved and dedicated to it. I also asked about academics here and they are academically minded. I also asked about their new member period and what happened in that. I really liked these girls.

House #9) This group was okay. One of the girls was really easy to talk to, and the others were good conversationalists but I kind of felt I didn't like them. They kind of were like "You don't know what our philanthropy does?" like I was dumb, and also I asked about the sisterhood there and a girl flat out told me "We have probably the best sisterhood because we don't fight. All other houses fight, and if you join there, you probably won't get along because everyone fights. I won't tell you which ones, because I'm not supposed to, but all do. I have friends that are jealous of me because my sorority gets along so well, so you don't want to go anywhere else." Okay... I thought that trash talking other chapters was taboo, so I was really not impressed with that house.

House #10) At this house I felt like the girls didn't like me. They rushed us three to two people and pairs and stuff, and that was a little awkward. They really didn't talk about their sorority, and the girl really didn't know much about the philanthropy, so we talked about animals and camping and stuff. They did most of the talking and barely asked questions, but they were very down to earth. I kind of yawned toward the end so she probably thought I was bored, but I did refrain from yawning the rest of the day.

House #11) This house was very nice. I really really felt comfortable talking with the girls here. They are really involved within the sorority and the school, and said that they have new opportunities, etc... They were involved in philanthropy heavily, which was cool and they were super down to earth and we had such easy conversations.

House #12) I was really impressed with this house. It felt warm to be here and I just smiled because I was happy to be here. I got another complement, too. Here another girl and I were rushed by one girl. I really liked this girl and her reasons for wanting to join a sorority were so real, honest, genuine. She was such a nice woman. I really liked it here and I learned a ton of stuff about the sorority, the philanthropy, alums, scholarship, and everything I wanted to know. The girl was also down to earth, so we talked about Iowa, and how we liked it, and I was totally comfortable here. The woman was so knowledgable and her reasons behind everything were so altruistic. I was really impressed and like it here, it was very nice; I felt there was a connection between me and the girl here because we talked so well.

House #13) I liked this house, and they seemed really nice and down to earth. There were a variety of girls here and they all seemed good-intentioned. One girl that rushed me said so many positive things about the philanthropy and I could tell it was very important to her and the chapter, and I liked that. They also were very involved on campus. They didn't have a lot of rules for GPA and stuff, so that kind of was the only bad thing because they didn't seem well-rounded, but they were definatley a great bunch of girls.

House #14) This was my last house and I thought that I would be tired but I wasn't. My feet killed because 12+ hours in heels is not my idea of fun. My Rho Chi was like "Aren't you dying?" but by that time my feet were just numb so it didn't matter anymore. The girl that rushed me here was very nice and she and I talked about a lot of things so I felt like I found out about a lot. There were a lot of girls sitting around in the sorority, so I could tell that the sisters were tired and wanted to be out of there, but I could understand that. Things felt a little rushed after a while, and the girl kept telling me how tired she was and that her butt was numb from sitting all day. My feet were numb! She was nice though. The girls here seemed honest, but I didn't get the impression of strong sisterhood here because something the girl said about them doing their own thing except when at sorority functions and stuff put me off. Overall, it was nice, and I was impressed here too. One thing here worried me, it seemed like a lot of girls knew other girls here from friends and school and such, and had sisters etc... in the sorority, so I felt like maybe I didn't know them as well, and because I didn't, they wouldn't like me or something, but my girls were nice.

Finally, I got back on the campus bus and had to stand and ride back to campus. I got bus sick because of standing, and I got back into my room in time to throw up but I am better now that I am stationary!

The girls in my rush group are nice, and I made some new friends. One girl reminds me of Carrie from Sex and the City so much that her voice makes me turn my head and go is that Sarah Jessica Parker!? She kinda looks like her too, and she is funny. There are a few other girls that are cool, too, and my suitemate is rushing and seems really outgoing and cool as well.

I was nervous this morning because everyone is so drop-dead gorgeous. Some girls are like supermodels, and so beautiful! Also, people really dressed up. My PX said that we should wear jeans and tennis shoes, and of course I didn't, it was like I fashion contest though because some girls were wearing strapless sundresses and one girl was wearing a really nice buisnessy outfit that was so cute. I felt really dressed up, but the girl in the dress made me feel not so dressed up and that was good because I was a little nervous at looking "too put-together".

A lot of times they asked if I had an questions on sorority life in general and rush procedure, and sometimes I had a hard time thinking of some because I learned so much on Greek Chat!

Anyway, tomorrow I get up at 7:00 am to see who invited me back, and I will post that and where I am going. Then I go to five skit parties at 11:30!

Lauren