GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,025
0 members and 1,025 guests
No Members online

Old 05-18-2005, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

PETA accuses lab of animal cruelty

This picture, along with the article, really does bring tears to my eyes.

Caption: A lab monkey is strapped to a table in this image from a video provided by PETA.

Lab in question passed Agriculture Department scrutiny

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A leading animal rights group has accused a northern Virginia laboratory of animal cruelty -- including charges of punching and choking lab monkeys -- and has produced a videotape to prove it.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals released its findings after an 11-month undercover investigation at an animal-testing lab owned by Covance, a Princeton, New Jersey-based company.

PETA has sent the 253-page complaint and a videotape to the Department of Agriculture, requesting the lab be shut down until an investigation can be conducted.

A spokesman for the group says the video was shot at the facility and shows violations of the Federal Animal Welfare Act.

PETA's undercover investigator was hired by Covance as a technician in its primate toxicology department. Between April 26, 2004 and March 11, 2005, she taped activity inside the laboratory primate rooms.

According to PETA, she compiled the information and the video because of recurring alleged violations of animal battery, abuse and neglect.

"The tape shows experimenters using their power over the monkeys to torture and torment them, while lab supervisors stand by or even join in," said PETA President Ingrid Newkirk.

Covance released a statement saying PETA never approached the company about the allegations or gave it a copy of the videotape or report.

"If and when we receive these materials, we will immediately review the allegations," it said.

Covance's statement also says it has a 50-year history of government-regulated compliance. In addition, Covance says that if it finds any evidence of wrongdoing, it will take actions to correct the problems.

PETA says the government agency charged with policing the labs also shares some of the guilt. "The U.S. Department of Agriculture is empowered to stop this type of abuse, yet its inspectors only enter these monkey prisons once a year, and everyone at the labs knows which day that is."

Last November the Department of Agriculture visited the Covance lab in question and concluded the Animal Welfare Act had not been violated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-18-2005, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Normally I'd laugh at PETA, but this definitely isn't cool if the allegations are that strong.

I AM glad to see PETA protesting against something that actually matters, unlike their antics in pro sports.

Sad.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:50 PM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
Normally I'd laugh at PETA, but this definitely isn't cool if the allegations are that strong.

I AM glad to see PETA protesting against something that actually matters, unlike their antics in pro sports.

Sad.
I was thinking the same thing, usually these guys are so annoying, but that is really horrible.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

PETA casts a very wide net. Sometimes they do really stupid things, but sometimes they do things that are worthwhile. I'm willing to take the stupidity because I'd rather they do too much than too little. The only problem is some of the antics make it hard for people to take them seriously.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
PETA casts a very wide net. Sometimes they do really stupid things, but sometimes they do things that are worthwhile. I'm willing to take the stupidity because I'd rather they do too much than too little. The only problem is some of the antics make it hard for people to take them seriously.
Count me in as one of them. They've done enough inane stuff -- apparently in the belief that the righteousness of their cause justifies any means -- that I not only cannot take them seriously, I simply do not trust them.

The allegations may be well founded and the video may indeed be authentic, but someone else will need to establish that. No way would I take PETA's word for it.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81

The allegations may be well founded and the video may indeed be authentic, but someone else will need to establish that. No way would I take PETA's word for it.
HIJACK

For some reason, when I read the words "take PETA's word for it," I thought of the line in Tommy Boy "I could get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.".....kinda ironic seeing as it's PETA.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Good, take the Animals off of the Table and put Humans on there!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-19-2005, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, at least I'm not the monkey.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
This is horrible!

As a rule, I only take PETA with a grain of salt because of the whack stuff they have pulled in the past. And no I do not donate to PETA...I would much rather have my donations go to my local no kill animal shelter
Old 05-20-2005, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I also think this is very sad but an amazing thought just came to me and I thought about Scott Peterson, maybe he can be forced to volunteer? I know that's rude but it really did come to mind.