GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,680
2 members and 1,678 guests
Sarak24034

Old 03-03-2012, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorority Strongholds?

I thought this was an interesting quote from the 1979 Life Article about Chi Omega that NutBrnHair posted the other day:

"I just hope to God that my daughter is a Chi Omega," said one sister recently. 'In Arkansas, when you say you are a Chi Omega, you get respect."

Do you find that your sorority has a stronghold in any particular state? I know that each group has parts of the country where they tend to be stronger or more highly represented. But is it your impression your sorority has a state like this Chi Omega perceived things to be in Arkansas at that time?

And I'm not thinking towns. I know from reading all the recruitment threads that certain towns go heavily for certain groups. I'm thinking entire states where if you are an ABC or an XYZ you will gain increased respect pretty much anywhere.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 AM

I couldn't say for sure. I know Alpha Phi has 23 collegiate chapters in California, all that are active, none are inactive, so state wise, we have the most collegiate presence there. Though just because a member is from one state or another is not something I have heard really discussed. I know it's always interesting to meet collegiate/alumnae from our founding chapter at Syracuse University because there is so much history there. I'm sure there are women in every sorority that perceive certain schools to have more prestigious or highly sought after chapters than others. However, at the end of the day, no matter what chapter of Alpha Phi a woman has joined, she is a sister regardless and that is what is most important.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Chi Omega was founded at Arkansas. In the Fayetteville area, you will see women with owl earrings, owl rings, owl necklaces.... Chi Omega is a pretty big deal there.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 AM
GreekChat Member

From what I hear, Florida seems to be zeta's stronghold.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

/swerve TriDeltaSallie, where have you BEEN? Nice to hear from you!
end swerve/

(I probably did the swerve slash thing wrong, sorry, not enough sleep & my glasses are dirty)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

In terms of number of chapters I think Sigma has the most in Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken. I think some close seconds are Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia. But I don't know if I would say that we have a 'stronghold' anywhere. But maybe that's just my perception.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
In terms of number of chapters I think Sigma has the most in Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken. I think some close seconds are Missouri, North Carolina, and Virginia. But I don't know if I would say that we have a 'stronghold' anywhere. But maybe that's just my perception.
I was about to say something similar. SDT is a lot better known in NY than CA. In fact, we're the only chapter west of Texas.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the situation with Chi Omega and the state of Arkansas is very unique. Chi Omega is the only sorority founded at the largest university in the state. So many of our organizations share founding schools. (Monmouth Duo, Syracuse Triad, Farmville Four - I know I'm leaving some out - sorry!) On top of being the only sorority founded at Arkansas, the university doesn't have to compete with another large university for support (think Alabama & Auburn; Georgia & Georgia Tech; UNC & NC State; Texas & Texas A & M - among others). I do business in Arkansas, and I can say without hesitation that a majority of the people in the state are Arkansas fans. It's only natural that Chi Omega is going to get the lion's share of desirability in this situation. I think it's really a special thing, and it would be difficult to duplicate.

Last edited by amIblue?; 03-03-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM

I would put Texas or California up as Theta's strongholds.

We have 7 active chapters in Texas but all of them are at major universities and 29 alumnae chapters. In California despite some chapters being inactive, we still have 18 active college chapters and 24 alumnae chapters.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Georgia

I would have to say that for Phi Mu, it would probably be Georgia (along with Alpha Delta Pi, I figure) for obvious reasons---where we were founded. We are at 14 universities with a few of them being major schools like (UGA and Georgia Tech.), 13 Alumnae Chapters, 3 Chapter Associations, and our National Headquarters. I would think that Alpha Delta Pi would be big in Georgia, as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
If I had to choose a state, I'd go with PA, with MO in 2nd.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
If I had to choose a state, I'd go with PA, with MO in 2nd.
I know that Sigma Sigma Sigma does really well at Bloomsburg University.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha has strong name recognition in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, although we are building up a strong presence in the Midwest as well .
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Whether it is true or not, I was always told that KD was a "southern sorority". If you look at our numbers, most of our chapters are in the south. 11 chapters in North Carolina, Ten in Tennessee. Eight in Florida, Georgia and Kentucky. The odd one out is Ohio which has 9 chapters. I'm not sure about the "strength" of the chapters. I'm trying to find the latest chapter awards.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
/swerve TriDeltaSallie, where have you BEEN? Nice to hear from you!
end swerve/

(I probably did the swerve slash thing wrong, sorry, not enough sleep & my glasses are dirty)
Hey AzTheta! I stop by quite regularly, but don't always comment.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.