GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,494
1 members and 2,493 guests
FlorCundif

Old 06-23-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a transfer...

Hi!

I've spent some time going back and forth regarding whether or not I want to rush a sorority. As a transfer student (junior), I know my chances of getting a bid at the University of Tennessee are less then the chances of an incoming freshman. I have the GPA - 3.5 - and a host of activities to my credit and I can honestly say it's the philanthropy side of sorority life that is the most appealing to me. Not to mention that I'm transfering as an out of state student who won't know a soul on campus and I'm all about meeting people. I'm rather social in that manner.

But as a transfer student, I don't know that rushing at a competitive school is a great idea. I'm the first in my family to go to college and finding people to write recs for me isn't the easiest task, simply because I've been raised in a rural town.

Basically, I'm looking for advice as to whether or not I should go through with Rush. I WANT to but as a transfer student, I'm a little iffy as to what I should do.

Thanks for any help you can offer me!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some threads about transferring as a junior. Here are two of them:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=87326
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=60533

Whether or not you rush is something you'll have to decide on your own. I wouldn't base that decision on what some internet usernames tell you to do.

Do a search, though, on being a junior transfer. You should get some helpful info.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Unregistered-

Ditto what knight_shadow said about internet usernames telling you what to do.

You should not use your transfer and class status as excuses to be "iffy". If you read the threads on GC, you might get a clue on how you might be able to improve your chances.

If you can deal with the possibility of not getting a bid, then by all means, rush. If not, don't bother.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You will probably meet a lot of people and possibly find a sisterhood - why not do it? Do your best to hunt down recs and go in with an open mind. What would it hurt?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your replies!

All of this is sort of big and scary but I'm putting together the pieces - I think.

I am going to rush. Worst case scenario, I'll meet some new people!

Thank you again!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for you! If you keep that attitude, you'll be golden no matter what.