GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,193
0 members and 2,193 guests
No Members online

Old 02-14-2007, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Christian Fraternities Growing - Publicity from Lawsuit?

After BYX got religious discrimination taken out at UGA, it looks like Christian Fraternities are growing.

Interestingly enough, Mizzou followed UGA's lead and dropped religious discrimination as well.

I know that BYX is getting four new chapters (University of Florida, University of Mississippi, Southern Mississippi and University of Colorado) and KYX is getting four new chapters (University of Central Florida, University of Tennessee, Clemson University and University of Kentucky).

I know that the articles got picked up on the AP wire. Maybe a direct result, maybe not. Just thought it was interesting.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

So do these Christian fraternities socialize with mainstream greek organizations?

I think we had a few at my school. But for the fact that a few of them sent reps to the student senate, I never would have known they existed.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

for the most part i'm pretty sure.

i know most BYX chapters have at least one non-alcoholic mixer with a panhellenic a semester.

our kyx chapter has around 55 brothers and we are all in Gator Greeks for Christ that associates with Greek Christians from IFC and Panhellenic at UF as well as pretty involved in SG.

so yeah we do associate with mainstream large-scale Greek organizations.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators07 View Post
for the most part i'm pretty sure.

i know most BYX chapters have at least one non-alcoholic mixer with a panhellenic a semester.

our kyx chapter has around 55 brothers and we are all in Gator Greeks for Christ that associates with Greek Christians from IFC and Panhellenic at UF as well as pretty involved in SG.

so yeah we do associate with mainstream large-scale Greek organizations.
Do y'all compete with IFC groups for members during rush?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Depends on when we hold rush but it is usually con-current with IFC rush so our guys can see all of their options. If you compared us to IFC we got average this past fall at UF and above average this spring.

We're in our second year with 55 and hoping to be around 100-110 when we're done growing.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
KYX is getting four new chapters (University of Central Florida, University of Tennessee, Clemson University and University of Kentucky).
Would you happen to know the target date for the UK chapter to be chartered?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

the guys at UK are in Phase I right now. There is a group of them and we have alumni in the area so it looks pretty good right now.

UCF is in Phase III (last phase), UT and CU are in Phase II (middle phase) and UK and two other schools that are still un-named are in Phase I (first phase).

our phase I packet is actually pretty helpful in explaining KYX...

http://www.kyx.org/expansion/phaseI.pdf

and BYX's is...

http://www.brothersunderchrist.org/docs/phase1-07.pdf
Old 02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew a guy in a Christian fraternity from SGA, other than that, I didn't know they were around. A lot of greeks would go to like Campus Crusade and such, and we had IFC prayer breakfasts.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the guys at UK are in Phase I right now. There is a group of them and we have alumni in the area so it looks pretty good right now.

UCF is in Phase III (last phase), UT and CU are in Phase II (middle phase) and UK and two other schools that are still un-named are in Phase I (first phase).

our phase I packet is actually pretty helpful in explaining KYX...

http://www.kyx.org/expansion/phaseI.pdf

and BYX's is...

http://www.brothersunderchrist.org/docs/phase1-07.pdf
Thanks for the UK update.

I noticed in the Phase I packet (well done by the way) that the founders were (are?) members of Phi Gamma Delta. May a Kappa Upsilon Chi member also be a member in an IFC/NIC/NPHC organization? (Duel membership) And out of curiosity, did the founders resign their membership from Fiji?

Also, I'm a tad confused as to why you listed another fraternity's packet. Is there any relationship (relevance) between Beta Upsilon Chi and Kappa Upsilon Chi?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

BYX and KYX started around the same time in Texas. We're not linked or anything but are both growing pretty fast so I figured to give all the information as a good journalist I should include BYX.

You CAN technically be in KYX and an IFC but the time commitment for both is pretty heavy.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Thanks for the UK update.

I noticed in the Phase I packet (well done by the way) that the founders were (are?) members of Phi Gamma Delta. May a Kappa Upsilon Chi member also be a member in an IFC/NIC/NPHC organization? (Duel membership) And out of curiosity, did the founders resign their membership from Fiji?

Also, I'm a tad confused as to why you listed another fraternity's packet. Is there any relationship (relevance) between Beta Upsilon Chi and Kappa Upsilon Chi?
Also, I don't think they resigned their membership. They were seniors and loved FIJI from what I know, they just felt the need for this for guys that were Christian and wanted a fraternity that was concentrating on Christian development. (Not to say that IFC's don't have Christian roots and tradition and you CAN't be a Christian and be in an IFC or our Greek Bible Study obviously wouldn't work!)
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BYX and KYX started around the same time in Texas. We're not linked or anything but are both growing pretty fast so I figured to give all the information as a good journalist I should include BYX.

You CAN technically be in KYX and an IFC but the time commitment for both is pretty heavy.
Gotcha. And thanks again.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I helped start the BYX at Southern Miss. We were already going through the process when the issues at UGA and Mizzou became an issue. BYX does not have anything limiting someone from doing BYX and an IFC/NPHC fraternity, but it is a large commitment and you must be able to make the commitment to do both. I think that Christian frats aren't growing because of the publicity, but because of the wanting to see something different on the fraternal scene. I don't know about KYX, but most BYX chapters have regular events with IFC fraternitys and NPHC's like stepshows, mixers, etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not completely sure that IFC will accept a Christian fraternity because they limit based on religion. It is great to see KYX, BYX and other Christian GLO's growing in numbers.