GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,497
0 members and 1,497 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
Rolling Stone's Missteps Will Set Rape Dialogue Back Years, Advocates Worry http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6283962.html
I just reviewed this thread and man.. what a great thread. You never realize how good the discussions we have here get at the time. Bravo to everyone.

I quoted the above though, not to really pick on SOM, who is a great contributor, but just to highlight some of the pants-shitting which goes in the media. The Jackie case didn't set back the rape dialogue one iota. What it did highlight was that we, the media included, need to take a step back, wait for both sides to come out and not to immediately rush to the conclusion that the sky is falling.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Rolling Stone Apologizes, Retracts UVA Rape Article After CJR Review

http://abcnews.go.com/US/rolling-sto...ry?id=30111150

Quote:
Rolling Stone issued an apology tonight for a November 2014 article that detailed allegations about a gang rape at the University of Virginia, retracting the article and posting a critique of the magazine's editorial process on the story in its place.

The Columbia University Journalism School review published tonight on the Rolling Stone web site said that it found the journalistic failure was avoidable, and encompassed problems with reporting, editing, editorial supervision and fact-checking.

Sabrina Erdely, the author of the article, "A Rape on Campus," also issued an apology tonight.

@~/~~~~
Old 04-05-2015, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope that Phi Psi at UVA and Phi Psi national goes forward with a lawsuit against Rolling Stone. Their reputation was so badly damaged by this irresponsible story. They could probably use a new house.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

President Sullivan deserves to lose her job over this fiasco and her role in magnifying the insanity. She did not act in the best interests of the University community and the totality of its student body.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I hope that Phi Psi at UVA and Phi Psi national goes forward with a lawsuit against Rolling Stone. Their reputation was so badly damaged by this irresponsible story. They could probably use a new house.

And here it is. I can't say I blame them either.

The University of Virginia fraternity chapter at the center of Rolling Stone magazine's retracted article "A Rape on Campus" said on Monday that it planned to sue the magazine for what it called "reckless" reporting that hurt its reputation.

http://news.yahoo.com/rolling-stone-...001216264.html
Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternities can sue. Sororities can sue.
At the end of the day, the larger issue is, and should remain, the damage done to women who are truly victims of sexual assault, whose credibility has taken a hit.

We could also address the ever so constant chipping away of the criminality of sexual assault and the lasting damage it does to those who survive such a crime?

Oh, rape? I mean, gosh, how bad can it be if women can assert its occurrence after every drunken Friday or Saturday night "hookup" or poorly made decision? Or worse yet, when some truly unfortunate yet mentally unstable female determines that it would be such an easy way to get attention and become a victim?

This is what makes me truly angry.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Here is a link to the Columbia School of Journalist report. It is a lengthy report. Quote from same:

"Rolling Stone's repudiation of the main narrative in "A Rape on Campus" is a story of journalistic failure that was avoidable. The failure encompassed reporting, editing, editorial supervision and fact-checking. The magazine set aside or rationalized as unnecessary essential practices of reporting that, if pursued, would likely have led the magazine's editors to reconsider publishing Jackie's narrative so prominently, if at all. The published story glossed over the gaps in the magazine's reporting by using pseudonyms and by failing to state where important information had come from."
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-06-2015, 03:32 PM

I just watched the SVU on this, and they nailed it.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting article in Esquire recently:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...-justice-case/
Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why everyone involved in creating this mess is still employed by RS. As if anything they produce from now on will be taken seriously. They should at least do the honorable thing and resign but given all the publicity it'll probably be next to impossible for them to get another job in the profession (maybe the onion or another fake news site).
Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Fraternities can sue. Sororities can sue.
At the end of the day, the larger issue is, and should remain, the damage done to women who are truly victims of sexual assault, whose credibility has taken a hit.

We could also address the ever so constant chipping away of the criminality of sexual assault and the lasting damage it does to those who survive such a crime?

Oh, rape? I mean, gosh, how bad can it be if women can assert its occurrence after every drunken Friday or Saturday night "hookup" or poorly made decision? Or worse yet, when some truly unfortunate yet mentally unstable female determines that it would be such an easy way to get attention and become a victim?

This is what makes me truly angry.
I couldn't agree more. I feel the easiest path to not only restore their reputation but more importantly to keep the focus on rape culture and survivors would be public apologies to the fraternity from RollingStone and a closed financial statement. That way the fallout is no longer the subject.

They could also fire the unethical screwups who let this happen.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

As usual, Megan McArdle at Bloomingberg doesn't pull any punches in disecting the Rolling Stone hoax.

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...pologize-right

The most interesting point she makes is one that I haven't seen brought up much, but is self-evidently true, and goes a long way towards explaining how activists and the media and the Obama Administration have been able to manufacture the narrative that we have a rape "crisis" on our college campuses.

"3. Privacy laws and the norms of survivor support groups created the illusion of institutional verification. Erdely first heard the story from Emily Renda, a rape survivor and alumna who now works on the issue at UVA. Renda mentioned the alleged attack in congressional testimony. Erdely seems to have assumed in some way that this meant the university had confirmed the attack. This impression was heightened by various privacy laws, which make it virtually impossible for the university to discuss specific cases. Erdely was operating under the assumption that the university knew this had happened and was stonewalling. In fact, Renda had the same information Erdely did: the story she heard from Jackie. The university did not have enough information to take action, but it also could not discuss these details with Erdely. The lack of disconfirmation seems to have been taken as positive proof that it happened, rather than what it was: a legal prohibition on sharing information."

This is true of most of the mainstream reporting we have seen in the last few years on individual "rape" cases and all of the handwringing reporting about Title IX investigations. The schools CAN'T comment, which gives those creating the narrative carte blanche to say whatever they want and the narrative will very likely not be challenged, even when the "facts" being reported are completely false.

Last edited by honorgal; 04-07-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgal View Post
As usual, Megan McArdle at Bloomingberg doesn't pull any punches in disecting the Rolling Stone hoax.
Hoax? That's a loaded word. I haven't seen any evidence of a hoax, at least on RS's part. Fiasco, yes, but not hoax.

Quote:
The most interesting point she makes is one that I haven't seen brought up much, but is self-evidently true, and goes a long way towards explaining how activists and the media and the Obama Administration have been able to manufacture the narrative that we have a rape "crisis" on our college campuses.
I don't think that's self-evident at all, unless it is also self-evident that no reporters will ever do enough homework to understand the basics of what they're reporting on.

Perhaps one day you'll let us know why you seem to have as much of an axe to grind on this issue as those you constantly accuse of manufacturing a rape crisis.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Hoax? That's a loaded word. I haven't seen any evidence of a hoax, at least on RS's part. Fiasco, yes, but not hoax.
I'd use Janet Cooke as the guide here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Cooke She knew Jimmy didn't exist.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Point taken. I definitely didn't make my use of that word clear. It was a hoax on Jackie's part, a fiasco (of their own making) on RS's part.

Quote:
I don't think that's self-evident at all, unless it is also self-evident that no reporters will ever do enough homework to understand the basics of what they're reporting on.
It has nothing to do with a reporter's homework or understanding the basics. The part that is self-evident is the extremely strict privacy laws that protect this particular subject matter (college sexual assault allegations) from being routinely fact-checked by journalists seeking the truth. The universities are routinely being accused of all manner of coverups, from indifference to gross negligence. A lot of people, given the comments on this thread, take this (and other myths, like the 1 in 4 statistic) as an established fact. Is it? Was UVA negligent in their handling of the Jackie hoax? They obviously have known much more of the facts from the beginning of the hoax and the fiasco. In other circumstances, they would have been able to speak out immediately upon publication of the RS article. They are not able to correct the journalistic record in sexual assault cases.

Quote:
Perhaps one day you'll let us know why you seem to have as much of an axe to grind on this issue as those you constantly accuse of manufacturing a rape crisis.
Wanting the facts reported instead of agenda-driven journalism is axe-grinding?

Last edited by honorgal; 04-07-2015 at 02:15 PM.