GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,415
1 members and 1,414 guests
bgregoraswift61

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
And you know this how?

And "just a shooting?" Kind of sad that someone is so nonchalant about shootings.
Because shootings are pretty common. And if they are not attached to some greater movement with greater meaning, then one is just as meaningful/meaningless as the next.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2009, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Because shootings are pretty common. And if they are not attached to some greater movement with greater meaning, then one is just as meaningful/meaningless as the next.
Shootings in close proximity to a sitting President aren't common.

Based on your comments and attitude about the situation, I think it is safe to say that you wouldn't give a flying flip if one of them shot at Obama. However, there are some of us who want him to continue to be President and to be safe. I don't care how common shootings are, they are still dangerous.

In addition, I want to say that it annoys me how they are trying to play this off as strictly a second amendment issue. It's a veiled threat.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Shootings in close proximity to a sitting President aren't common.

Based on your comments and attitude about the situation, I think it is safe to say that you wouldn't give a flying flip if one of them shot at Obama. However, there are some of us who want him to continue to be President and to be safe. I don't care how common shootings are, they are still dangerous.

In addition, I want to say that it annoys me how they are trying to play this off as strictly a second amendment issue. It's a veiled threat.
Why do you feel that this is a threat? Please explain how it is more then just a constitutional issue, which is bad enough. Also what did anybody say that suggested that they wouldn't care if somebody shot at Obama, who is the sitting President of the United States. I hated Bush with a passion, but I never wanted him to be shot because of the position he held.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think it is safe to say that you wouldn't give a flying flip if one of them shot at Obama.
Wow. That's one hell of a leap there.

I think it's just fine that someone carries a gun in an area near the President which even the Secret Service doesn't have a problem with, ergo, I think it'd be hunky dory if someone shot the President. You got into law school?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Gun Toter @ meeting in New Hampshire

Ummm....he doesn't look too swift...

Nor does he....

Gun Toter @ meeting in Arizona

Quote:
I never heard of anything happening like that when Bush was in office.
Playing Devil's advocate...but while Bush was in office, people didn't feel threatened about losing their rights to bear arms.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 08-18-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I think it's just fine that someone carries a gun in an area near the President which even the Secret Service doesn't have a problem with, ergo, I think it'd be hunky dory if someone shot the President. You got into law school?
Yes, I got into law school. And your point? Don't sit there and act like your attitude doesn't give one the impression that you don't much care of something happens to Obama. Whether you agree with his politics or not, any citizen should be concerned about potential violence towards a sitting President because of the consequences.

And just because the Secret Service doesn't have a problem with it does not mean it is okay or should be allowed. There have been incidents over the years that show questionable decisions made by the secret service with respect to security for their protectees.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Why do you feel that this is a threat? Please explain how it is more then just a constitutional issue, which is bad enough. Also what did anybody say that suggested that they wouldn't care if somebody shot at Obama, who is the sitting President of the United States. I hated Bush with a passion, but I never wanted him to be shot because of the position he held.
I mainly feel that way because they were carrying firearms outside of a forum where he was discussing something OTHER THAN the second amendment. There is a proper time and place for everything. Also, I feel that way because of the political affiliations that some of them apparently have. Then there is the fact that carrying these firearms near his speeches is apparently becoming a little more prevalent, and some of these people, in addition to wanting to bear arms, would like to see Obama killed.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post

Playing Devil's advocate...but while Bush was in office, people didn't feel threatened about losing their rights to bear arms.
Yeah, I understand that. I was speaking however in reference to security measures in general. Even if people were carrying a weapon legally, they weren't allowed to get that close to president's bush's speeches and forums. One of my law school classmates was standing outside on the street across from where bush was in attendance one days and he had his gun holstered on his belt. The secret service made him leave the area.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Why do you even bother responding? She just seems to like making extreme statements to get under people's skin.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Why do you even bother responding? She just seems to like making extreme statements to get under people's skin.
I think you may have a point.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You got into law school?
There's always Cooley.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
One of my law school classmates was standing outside on the street across from where bush was in attendance one days and he had his gun holstered on his belt. The secret service made him leave the area.

And he was carrying a gun because.......?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That does raise an interesting question, doesn't it?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
That does raise an interesting question, doesn't it?
Indeed.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The more interesting question is why that gun didn't merit news coverage while the one in question in this thread does.