GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,459
3 members and 1,456 guests
Kevin, LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-19-2009, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
If I had to bet, I'd wager there's a good chance he never even saw your letter.
Probably ended up in the hands of an intern or administrative person - with someone that controversial and that "public," so to speak, he must have gotten pages upon pages of letters from people. I would bet there were interns or administrative people who were responsible for sorting out only a small fraction of those letters for his review and comment.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
If I had to bet, I'd wager there's a good chance he never even saw your letter.

And you don't think it sounds a tad insincere to say that after starting this thread with "good riddance to bad rubbish"?
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Probably ended up in the hands of an intern or administrative person - with someone that controversial and that "public," so to speak, he must have gotten pages upon pages of letters from people. I would bet there were interns or administrative people who were responsible for sorting out only a small fraction of those letters for his review and comment.
I'm sure of that. I'm also sure that I wasn't the only person to write in and criticize him for his callousness. I'm sure he got an avalanche of email, and I'm not annoyed that my particular email was ignored - but he ignored the whole avalanche.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Oh?
Sorry, but your point is lost on me.

Quote:
I'm sure of that. I'm also sure that I wasn't the only person to write in and criticize him for his callousness. I'm sure he got an avalanche of email, and I'm not annoyed that my particular email was ignored - but he ignored the whole avalanche.
You seem to be sure of many things -- that he got an avalanche of mail and ignored the whole avalanche.

You also seem to be carrying around a lot of anger over something that someone you didn't even know did 7 years ago.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 PM

It seems that I was unclear about my feelings surrounding Novak's death. Let me clarify before you all dismiss me as a cruel heartless bitch.

There is a distinction between Robert Novak, human being, and Robert Novak, pundit.

I disagree with Novak's politics. When I first heard of his passing, the first thing I thought of was that insensitive "get a job" statement. That particular comment had hit me hard, at a time when I was unemployed, unable to find work despite glowing credentials, and depressed about it. Hence the harsh comment. I'd have said the same thing if he'd retired and stayed retired.

However, Novak was also a human being, just like you and me. He suffered from a variety of cancers, meningitis, and broken bones. I take absolutely no pleasure in the fact that another human being suffered and died and that his family and friends are now mourning his passing.

Am I sorry that Robert Novak, pundit, will no longer be appearing on TV and writing books? No. Am I sorry that Robert Novak, human being, suffered and died? Yes.

I hope that clarifies my viewpoint.

... And this is why I usually stay out of the News & Politics forum.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Let me clarify before you all dismiss me as a cruel heartless bitch.
I wasn't going to go there, don't worry.

Quote:
It does.

Quote:
LOL.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It seems that I was unclear about my feelings surrounding Novak's death. Let me clarify before you all dismiss me as a cruel heartless bitch.....

It does, thank you.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It seems that I was unclear about my feelings surrounding Novak's death. Let me clarify before you all dismiss me as a cruel heartless bitch.

There is a distinction between Robert Novak, human being, and Robert Novak, pundit.

I disagree with Novak's politics. When I first heard of his passing, the first thing I thought of was that insensitive "get a job" statement. That particular comment had hit me hard, at a time when I was unemployed, unable to find work despite glowing credentials, and depressed about it. Hence the harsh comment. I'd have said the same thing if he'd retired and stayed retired.

However, Novak was also a human being, just like you and me. He suffered from a variety of cancers, meningitis, and broken bones. I take absolutely no pleasure in the fact that another human being suffered and died and that his family and friends are now mourning his passing.

Am I sorry that Robert Novak, pundit, will no longer be appearing on TV and writing books? No. Am I sorry that Robert Novak, human being, suffered and died? Yes.

Now, get a job.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge kid View Post
Now, get a job.
I did so, long ago.

I suggest you do the same.