GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,367
1 members and 1,366 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-13-2018, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Cosby and his new home

Maybe this is a question for an attorney on here. I’m curious, what do you think will happen to Cosby once he’s in prison? Will he get a cell mate like everyone else? Or will he be treated differently?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I think he'll be treated like everyone else. But I wonder if he will ever see the inside of a prison. If the judge lets him stay on home confinement during all of the appeals his lawyers have planned, he may never get to the point of going to prison. He is in his 80s and seems to be in poor health.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I would agree if the appeals process goes on for a while he may or may not see prison walls. Also, given his high profile, even if he were to be imprisoned he'd likely be housed in a separate area from the general prison population. I don't think any prison wants to take a potential risk of something bad happening because Cosby was housed with other inmates.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

There's a lot of mythology about prison. But generally, when people go to prison, they are initially separated from the general prison population and evaluated (psychologically and sociologically and medically) by the department of corrections to determine where (and at what level) they will be incarcerated. I doubt that Cosby will be treated differently from anyone else who is going going to prison for the first time. And he will not be in danger from other inmates.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
There's a lot of mythology about prison. But generally, when people go to prison, they are initially separated from the general prison population and evaluated (psychologically and sociologically and medically) by the department of corrections to determine where (and at what level) they will be incarcerated. I doubt that Cosby will be treated differently from anyone else who is going going to prison for the first time. And he will not be in danger from other inmates.
Are. You. NUTS?

An extremely dear friend has been incarcerated since 1988 (he did something very bad and will never be released and that is all I am going to say about him). I have visited him multiple times over the years, and will visit him until I die. I don't give up on my friends.

So, in that context, let me say this: Prison is uber scary and you don't have any way of saying that last statement with any certainty. It actually makes you look really, really stupid. I know way different.

Unless he's in solitary, he's not "safe" (and even then he's not safe). You don't go to prison to be safe or out of danger. It is literally hell on earth. Every day. Pretty sure there's a target on him, based on what I've learned and been told.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Are. You. NUTS?

An extremely dear friend has been incarcerated since 1988 (he did something very bad and will never be released and that is all I am going to say about him). I have visited him multiple times over the years, and will visit him until I die. I don't give up on my friends.

So, in that context, let me say this: Prison is uber scary and you don't have any way of saying that last statement with any certainty. It actually makes you look really, really stupid. I know way different.

Unless he's in solitary, he's not "safe" (and even then he's not safe). You don't go to prison to be safe or out of danger. It is literally hell on earth. Every day. Pretty sure there's a target on him, based on what I've learned and been told.
Childish insults. Really? Your point would be more effective without them.

Here's a link to Pennsylvania Department of Corrections about their intake process:

http://www.cor.pa.gov/Inmates/Pages/...AQ's).aspx

I'd be surprised if anyone on here has any first-hand knowledge of the Pennsylvania prison system. And even if they did, it would likely only be anecdotal - like your comments above. Many people go to prison - few people are murdered in prison. Most prison inmate deaths result from illness (e.g., liver disease, cancer, heart disease and drug/alcohol intoxication) with the average annual state prison homicide rate of 4 to 6 homicides per 100,000 state prisoners (or 00.006 percent). https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/mljsp0013st.pdf

So - am I gonna worry about Bill Cosby if he is committed to prison?

I'll save my concern for his prison guards.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Childish insults. Really? Your point would be more effective without them.

Here's a link to Pennsylvania Department of Corrections about their intake process:

http://www.cor.pa.gov/Inmates/Pages/...AQ's).aspx

I'd be surprised if anyone on here has any first-hand knowledge of the Pennsylvania prison system. And even if they did, it would likely only be anecdotal - like your comments above. Many people go to prison - few people are murdered in prison. Most prison inmate deaths result from illness (e.g., liver disease, cancer, heart disease and drug/alcohol intoxication) with the average annual state prison homicide rate of 4 to 6 homicides per 100,000 state prisoners (or 00.006 percent). https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/mljsp0013st.pdf

So - am I gonna worry about Bill Cosby if he is committed to prison?

I'll save my concern for his prison guards.

I'd engage with you further, however, based on past history, you are unarmed, as usual. Have a nice day elsewhere.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

I have firsthand knowledge of the Georgia prison system--20 years of teaching in it! I don't know how they can protect anyone in any jail. It seems like if the men want to get at someone, particularly at someone who has harmed children, they find a way.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have previously worked as an officer with the California prison system, which, arguably, is considered one of the rougher systems. I spent time as an officer in the Administrative Segregation Unit ("solitary confinement") as well as regular housing units and on the yards.

I know what I'm talking about.

Prison is not like what people think. Yeah, it's not great; but these men don't seem to be struggling too bad. On a Level IV (max security) yard, it can get hairy sometimes; but inmates are not dodging stabbings around every corner like people think.

The prison where I worked has housed a number of "famous" and "celebrity" inmates and they are treated like everyone else. In fact, I had both Sirhan Sirhan (Senator Robert F. Kennedy's assassin) and Erik Menendez in my housing unit. On my first day working in a new housing unit, I saw an inmate on the inmate pay phone singing raps to somebody. My partner mentioned that the inmate was some well-known rapper guy named Big Lurch who had murdered his roommate and then ate parts of her body. We also had Tex Watson (Manson Family), Roy Norris (Toolbox Killers) and Lyle Menendez just showed up. I believe that Roy Norris was one of the inmates that helped paint a highly detailed mural for us in our receiving area. Not exactly a "rough life" for a rapist and murderer.

Lots of "famous" people go to prison. They're just regular inmates. No special treatment and usually no special protection. For their part, they acted normal and didn't ask me for any special things either. I never noted any inmates trying harder to get after the more "famous" inmates. <shrugs>

I imagine that Mr. Cosby might be treated rather fairly/nicely by other inmates due to his age and status as a famous actor. He could have a little trouble due to the sexual nature of his offense; but, he has some "claim" about the contacts being consensual that might fly. If Mr. Cosby does get attacked, it would likely be specifically because his offense is a sex crime and not because of anything else.

The experiences vary from location to location with some prisons being considered "harder" than others. Though, overall, the inmates that seem to have the most trouble, that is, the ones who the experience the most danger, do it to themselves by getting involved in drugs, gangs, gambling and politics. The ones that owe drug money or gang debts or snitch on the others are the ones that get beat or stabbed. They usually know it's coming. Child molesters are also looked down on and can find themselves getting targeted sometimes. So, don't act foolish and just follow the program and you'll usually be ok. Also, I speak from first-hand knowledge when I say that inmates have a tendency to over-exaggerate their experiences to their friends and family back home in order to elicit sympathy.

Phrozen Sands, to answer your specific question, I don't know Pennsylvania's specific in-house policies, but inmates go through an intake process (we designate those prisons as "reception center") where they are evaluated for risks to themselves and others. Having looked at physical health, mental health, case factors, gang affiliations, etc, the prison will determine if Mr. Cosby is double-cell eligible. If so, he will have a cellmate.

I hope this helps. If any of you have questions that you always wanted to ask, I might be able to help answer.

True and Constant

Last edited by navane; 05-16-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
Maybe this is a question for an attorney on here. I’m curious, what do you think will happen to Cosby once he’s in prison? Will he get a cell mate like everyone else? Or will he be treated differently?

Temple culture. TU knew about Cosby in 2004 and 10 years later he was still giving commencement.