GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,024
2 members and 1,022 guests
Sarak24034, Sen's Revenge
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Alabama rush!!

well.. i haven't posted on this site in quite a while. i didn't get accepted to the university of florida but i did get into Alabama and am very much considering it. i have never been to Alabama before though and would be interested in what people think of the state, campus, and of coarse... their greek system!

thanks!!
Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Lord allmighty girl, and you're from Ohio? That's a mighty big drive. But last year I went on a trip during spring break from Columbus OH to Civil Rights sites in the south (Atlanta, Selma, Montgomery, Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Cincinnati and then home). But I will say that I met the NICEST, most welcoming people in the south. It's a completely different world from the North. People you don't even know will smile and shake your hands and people actually tip their hats! People took time out of their day to sit and talk to us (I was with a group of 9 people from my school) about what it was like during that time period, and how things have changed and haven't changed. We stayed in churches every night, and the congregations let us use their showers and cooked us food and opened their doors to us. (What is more first class accomidation than God's house? we joked).

But at any rate! Alabama is absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous. There are awesome small towns, fields, large cities...it's fantastic. Montgomery is beautiful, I'm trying to land a job at the Southern Poverty Law Center there when I graduate. It's surprising how much slower life seems to move down there, even during a weekday.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks so much! i actually live in cincinnati, so half the people here are southern and the other half are northern. your information was very helpful. it's great to know that chivalry still exists somewhere! =)
Old 12-11-2004, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

PM me if you have specific questions about UA! I highly recommend a campus visit, if you haven't done that already.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

gosh, how can you consider a school you've never even visited? especially when it's not a local school, or a school that you know lots of people at. It's a school that's very far away and in a very different part of the country from what you're used to.

Honestly, I would worry more about finding the right school for you than I would about rushing right now.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
gosh, how can you consider a school you've never even visited? especially when it's not a local school, or a school that you know lots of people at. It's a school that's very far away and in a very different part of the country from what you're used to.

Honestly, I would worry more about finding the right school for you than I would about rushing right now.
Hrm...I was about to say the same thing.

What other schools are you considering?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I know people who have applied or are applying to colleges that they never visited. They contacted those schools and interviewed with local alumni. They are applying to colleges based on their reputation and the suggestions of their guidance counselors.

I do think that it's a good idea to visit colleges before you apply if that's an option.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mmcline
I have to agree, visit a school but for deciding to go there. Trust me transferring is no fun!!!

We can all sit here and say wonderful things about different schools but noone can say if a school is right for you, but yourself. You need to be happy, wherever you end up. Because if you are not happy, nothing else is going to matter.

I agree, don't worry about the greek system right now, focus on finding the school that is right for you. Don't let anyone pressure you to go to a certain school, it needs to be the perfect for you, nobody else.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
I know people who have applied or are applying to colleges that they never visited. They contacted those schools and interviewed with local alumni. They are applying to colleges based on their reputation and the suggestions of their guidance counselors.
I applied to schools before I visited (except U. Florida). Junior and Senior years are becoming busier and busier for these kids--the spring, after acceptances and when schools have accepted student weekends, is often a better time; this is especially true when kids are applying to 7 or 8 schools all over the country.

I know that red flags came up when I read this post, not because she hadn't visited the schools, because it appeared she was more concerned with the Greek systems at each school. I honestly didn't think about Greek Life at any of the schools I applied to until after I was accepted to colleges and when our local Panhel held a presentation for us about rush applications.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

well these are the schools i've applied to and visited. unfortunately, i haven't been able to visit all of them b/c i've applied to so many.

Ohio State University (application pending, visited)
Ohio University (accepted, not visited)
Miami of Ohio (application pending, visited)
University of Alabama (accepted, not visited)
University of Florida (regected , visited)
Florida State University (application pending, not visited)
California Polytechnic University (application pending, not visited)
University of South Carolina (application pending, visited)

i didn't visit ohio university b/c it was more of a saftey school and i don't really have any intentions of going there. so, i visited 4/8 universities i applied to. i was thinking i would see what other schools accept me and visit them if i have the time and money.

also... i'm interested in the greek system b/c it's a part of college i want to belong in. i posted this on another thread.. but i became interested in joining a sorority after reading "Pledged." I saw that www.greekchat.com was under one of her references and decided to go to it to see how bad sororities really were. once i got here i realized most sororities are not as bad as she made them sound. they're more of a supporting system and that's what i want to have if i'm going to be hours away from my family: sisters.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a senior at Alabama and I can answer any, and I mean, any questions you may have about the University and greek life here. Just Private Message me with whatever questions you may have! Also, I know of several students here from the Cincinatti area, so you wouldn't be alone!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally posted by LauGh A Lot
well these are the schools i've applied to and visited. unfortunately, i haven't been able to visit all of them b/c i've applied to so many.

Ohio State University (application pending, visited)
Ohio University (accepted, not visited)
Miami of Ohio (application pending, visited)
University of Alabama (accepted, not visited)
University of Florida (regected , visited)
Florida State University (application pending, not visited)
California Polytechnic University (application pending, not visited)
University of South Carolina (application pending, visited)

also... i'm interested in the greek system b/c it's a part of college i want to belong in. i posted this on another thread.. but i became interested in joining a sorority after reading "Pledged." I saw that www.greekchat.com was under one of her references and decided to go to it to see how bad sororities really were. once i got here i realized most sororities are not as bad as she made them sound. they're more of a supporting system and that's what i want to have if i'm going to be hours away from my family: sisters.
I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to know about a campus' greek system. I knew in high school that I wanted to be in a sorority, so I was always happy when I took the tours and the guide mentioned greek life. Knowing what you want in a school makes the decision a lot easier.

I wish I could help you out and give my opinion towards the schools where you applied, but unfortunately I've never been to any of them. I do have a friend at USC though, and she didn't visit before she decided to go there. She isn't crazy about it because she said everyone is just totally different from what she is used to back home. She does always say though how beautiful the campus is! When you go look at schools, I think it's just as important to check out the students as it is the buildings and dorms and stuff. You can get a good sense of if you think you'll fit in or not. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey --

I just wanted to add that it was probably a good choice that you didn't visit every school that you applied to before the application deadlines. Especially since you applied to schools from all over the nation. Its like time management.

My brother just went through the application process last year, applying to schools up and down the east coast. With his fall and winter sports commitments, his summer job, and the fact that he was really trying to focus on keeping his GPA and SAT score status quo, he and my parents decided to rely on local presentations the schools made, impressions they got from marketing materials, and other people we know who went there, and he visited the schools after he got in. He knew what characteristics he wanted from a school - suburban placement, smaller school, preppy lifetsyle, strong business school, wanted to stay on the Eastern seaboard. Spring semester for seniors is usually pretty light on work, particularly in March and early April, before the stress from AP exams gets out of control.

He went to a school that he had never visited before the 'accepted students' weekend in April 2004. He's very happy now at Loyola of Maryland.

Have you seen local admission office's presentations about the schools you applied to? Or contacted alumni? Especially when moving to a different region, it can be helpful to talk to people who made the same move you're considering.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm applying to 14 law schools and I've only visited 2 of them. It's not exactly cheap to go flying all over the country.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I know that red flags came up when I read this post, not because she hadn't visited the schools, because it appeared she was more concerned with the Greek systems at each school. I honestly didn't think about Greek Life at any of the schools I applied to until after I was accepted to colleges and when our local Panhel held a presentation for us about rush applications.
I actually know quite a few girls who will be influenced by greek life while choosing a college. For instance one girl who is a freshman in college this year really liked Ole Miss, but since all the women in her family are ADPis and Ole Miss doesn't currently have an ADPi chapter she chose to go to Georgia instead and the guidance counselor at my school had strongly recommeded Auburn to another girl, but since they don't have sorority houses she didn't even apply. But then again, this is the south

oh and I wanted to add I'm going to Bama next year, so who knows, we might be going through recruitment together!!

Last edited by rebelsweetheart; 12-12-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Closed Thread