GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,169
2 members and 2,167 guests
AlwaysSAI, mlanderson

Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to curlyque5000
help with attendance!!!

My sorority is having a really hard time getting girls to show up to philanthropy and just regular sisterhood events because of laziness. Do you have any ideas of how to get girls to want to show up. I was thinking of some kind of points system but I really need some better ideas.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Distribute monthly calendars and give reminders each week at chapter. Assess a penalty for missing mandatory events. If you can't fine your members, you can take away privileges like first dibs at choosing rooms in the chapter house or social probation. Talk to your advisers and regional directors for more ideas.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I've found that positive reinforcement helps out tremendously with attendance.

My last active year, we had what we called "Pi Points" (I think that is what it was called?) and every woman in our chapter had a designated row with her name in it.

For every meeting (each one was dated), every Philanthropy event, social and other sisterhood event, each sister earned "points". We even had points for completing designated study hours.

There was a cut off day for all of the points to be calculated and you had to have a certain number of points to attend formal at the end of the year.

Granted, if you are in a NPC sorority, I believe meetings are mandatory, so if meetings were missed, in addition to missing out on the points, you were assigned the penalty that was designated in the chapter bylaws or wherever your sorority keeps those.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiMuGoddess Send a message via MSN to PhiMuGoddess Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuGoddess
We had the same problem last semester. We implemented door prizes, a point system, etc. We also handed out calendars and assessed small responsibilities to various people so they'd have a piece in the success of the event.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the key is to look at WHY they don't want to attend. Are the activities fun and inviting? Did they vote to agree on doing those activities or did someone just plan it and say "show up"? Is sisterhood lacking? Is the chapter over programming?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ohdollface
I second the calender. I am in different organizations, so when i recieve the calender with the chapter minutes it makes my life a lot easier to plan things.

My chapter also fines girls who don't give an excuse notices but it's mostly for really important events like ritual...

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
I've found that positive reinforcement helps out tremendously with attendance.

My last active year, we had what we called "Pi Points" (I think that is what it was called?) and every woman in our chapter had a designated row with her name in it.

For every meeting (each one was dated), every Philanthropy event, social and other sisterhood event, each sister earned "points". We even had points for completing designated study hours.

There was a cut off day for all of the points to be calculated and you had to have a certain number of points to attend formal at the end of the year.

Granted, if you are in a NPC sorority, I believe meetings are mandatory, so if meetings were missed, in addition to missing out on the points, you were assigned the penalty that was designated in the chapter bylaws or wherever your sorority keeps those.

We also have a points system almost exactly like this.

Fines for missing other things too unless you had an excuse (i.e. illness, class, other organization meeting, sports event, etc). These excuses had to be legit and before the scheduled event. Example: you can't just say "Oh I didn't go because something came up" five days after the event.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

point system sounds like a good idea...my fraternity doesn't do that, but we'll be looking into doing something like it in the fall I'm sure...
Old 05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

point system is only as good as it it is enforced!

If meetings and other things are mandatory, it boils down to either be envolved or not!

If they cannot attend meetings or events then they cannot attend social functions.

No Dime, No Dance! Before inflation!

Enforce the Rules!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-17-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

While all want to entice, apple on a stick, maybe it is time to use the stick!

If they cannot come to meetings or charity events, then they do not need to come to the partys.

Set a number of mandatory events that can be missed or after that, then no social functions.

Let them sit at home on party nights too. If that doesnt work, then why are they even there?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Apple on a stick?

You're kidding right?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
When I was an undergraduate member, my chapter had a point system. We received points similar to what Texax*Prinecess mentioned below, so many points for each event. In order to be able to attend large social functions, like big date parties and formals we had to have 80% of the total points. If you didn't, you weren't able to go.

I think that adpiucf's suggestion of supplying members with a calendar on a monthly basis is an excellent idea. Another similar option might be, if your chapter has a group listserve, maybe you could send out an email of upcoming events on the first of the month.

I think that AGDee raises some excellent questions. IMO, overprogramming is a big problem in society today. I think too many people have too much to do. The chapter that I belonged to during college was smaller than many of the other chapters on my campus at the time, however, we had the inherent feeling that we had to keep up with the Joneses. I think that one of the best ways to deal with this is to try and combine things together if possible. We had a chapter rule that if an officer did not announce something more than two weeks prior to the date, she could not make the event mandatory. If she wanted to make it mandatory it had to be put to a chapter vote. I think this helped cut down on the last minute mandatory events.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GVSU_SigPi_Gea
on the whole "point system"...my chapter is looking to start one of these. I am part of the committee that is to establish (and by establish i mean look over what our e-board created and nod my head to em if its ok) the point system...and it sucks. does anyone have an electric copy of their point system? id really like to see what other chapters do, as we also have a HUGE problem with attendance

feel free to PM me with the list.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the post was awhile ago, but for any of you still looking for an example of an accountability system. This is my chapter's. I used ideas that I found here, some that we already had, and my own ideas, to come up with this new way. You also need to make sure that you dont break chapter or national bylaws for your organization, as that is a problem that I am having for a part of it, and now ammendments to the bylaws need to happen. Hope this helps you out!

All members must earn 75% of the merit points, with the exception of seniors, who need to only earn 50% in their last semester, each month (As stated in the chapter Bylaws)

All members must attend 2 sisterhood events, 2 philanthropy events (one being internal), and 2 intramurals each semester. (As stated in the chapter Bylaws)

All events will be divided into three areas: gold, dark blue, and light blue:
  • Gold events are defined as chapter retreats, perfection week activities, recruitment week, chapter goal setting & officer training, any ceremony, chapter meetings, and any other event deemed as a gold event by the executive board or the appropriate chair.
  • Dark Blue events are defined as sisterhood events, alumnae events, philanthropy events (internal and external), new member meetings (if applicable), new member events (if applicable), house beautification days, Big/Lil revealing, and any other event deemed as dark blue by the executive board or the appropriate chair.
  • Light Blue events are defined as socials, intramurals, semi formals, grab-a-dates, formal, date functions, Homecoming events, Greek Week events, Panhellenic meetings, Panhellenic events, Greek Student Success, and any other event deemed as light blue by the executive board or the appropriate chair.

These color designations require a certain percentage of the total points from that color to be acquired each semester:

·Gold events: 100%
·Dark Blue events: 50%
·Light Blue events: 20%

All Gold events require a written excuse to the Recording Secretary or the appropriate officer 24 hours before the event, unless another date/time is specified. Work is not a valid excuse for any Gold event.

If an excuse is given within the appropriate time, no merit points will be awarded, and the missed points will need to be made up with bonus points.
If a chapter meeting is missed, with an excuse, that member must read and sign the minutes from the meeting, (which will be placed in the recording secretary’s box Mon-Sat) in order to receive half the merit points for that meeting.

If an excuse is not given within the appropriate time, that member will receive five (5) demerits, which will need to be made up with bonus points. (Special situations will be considered on a case by case basis)
If a chapter meeting is missed, without an excuse, that member must read and sign the minutes from the meeting, (which will be placed in the recording secretary’s box Mon-Sat) or that member will receive an additional five (5) demerits, which will need to be made up with bonus points.

If a chapter retreat, perfection week activity, recruitment day, chapter goal setting/officer training, or ceremony is missed, without an excuse, the member will be assessed a $25 donation to the Housing Corporation Board for each event missed (as stated in the bylaws), in addition to demerits.

No event can be deemed a gold event without at least two (2) weeks notice by the officer at a chapter meeting. Emails do not constitute proper notice.

Bonus points can only be used toward Gold events. Verification for Bonus points must be turned in by required date to be considered.

Each month the recording secretary will review the total merit points available, and evaluate each members standing. Any member deemed to not be in good standing will then be placed on merit point probation. The terms of merit point probation are outlined within the chapter bylaws.
The last month of each semester (November & April), the total points for the semester for each member will be determined. If the member does not have the required percentage for each color designation, that member will be placed on merit point probation.

At the end of each semester, the recording secretary will total up the merit points acquired by each new member class. The new member class with the highest amount of merit points per member, as well as completed the percentages for each color, will receive an award, which will be designated each semester by the recording secretary.

If budget allows, the member who has completed the percentages for each color, and has the highest amount of merit points at the end of the semester, will also receive an award, at the discretion of the recording secretary.

Merit Point Events and the Respective Point Value
Chapter Meetings 20

Chapter Retreats 20

Perfection Week 10 (per day)

Recruitment 15 (per day)

Goal Setting/Officer Training 10

Ceremonies 15

Initiation 20
Any other event given Gold designation 15

Sisterhood Events 10

Internal Philanthropy Events 10

External Philanthropy Events 5

Alumnae Events 5

New Member Meetings (if applicable) 10

New Member Events (if applicable) 5

House Beautification 5

Big/Lil Revealing (if applicable) 5

Any other event given Dark Blue designation 7

Socials 5
Semiformals/Grab-a-Dates/Date Functions 5

Formal 10

Homecoming Events 5 (per event)

Greek Week Events 5 (per event)

Panhellenic Meetings 5

Panhellenic Events 5

Greek Student Success 5

Any other event given Light Blue Designation 5

Bonus Points
GPA from the previous term:
3.5-3.9 7
3.4-3.0 5
2.9-2.7 2

Chapter Dues paid by the 10th EVERY month 10

Holding an office 7

Chairing an event 5

Participation in an external philanthropy/ 3
Homecoming/Greek Week event

Holding a position in Panhellenic/Greek Council 5

Holding an office for any Greek related event 5
(TOTOGS/Greek Week/Homecoming/GSS/etc)

Participation in an outside organization 3

Holding an office in an outside organization 5

Working:
30+ hours per week 10
20-29 hours per week 7
10-19 hours per week 5
Under 10 hours per week 3
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Make sure your sorority chapter, events, and meetings don't suck. If that's the case, all the point systems, reminders, calendars, and door prizes in the world won't help. Bringing food or making things mandatory may increase attendance, but that's still treating the symptoms instead of the underlying problems. This goes for all types of organizations.

I've also noticed that attendance and lack of attendance is contagious. Sometimes people only go somewhere because their friends are going, even if they are not interested in the main event. Then there's times when someone may have an interest in the event in itself, but will not go because none of their friends are going. I guess you need to get the more influential or popular people interested first, then their friends will follow.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 10-18-2006 at 10:11 AM.