GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,501
1 members and 2,500 guests
ellaussd8014

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline View Post
You can buy "used" badges from KD HQ. I did that about 10 years ago. My badge was stolen when my parents' house was burglarized (I was out of the country).

I've also bought a few badges on ebay... & now I have a little collection. But nothing like some of those professional badge collectors have.
Ooo how do I do this?! I LOVE the all pearl one on eBay right now. I started watching it right after it went up. That's the kind I'm hoping for -- all pearls. Unfortunately, I've yet to stop and buy one brand new. I had the emerald and pearl one that my mom bought me when I initiated, but it was lost during a move over two years ago now.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

contact HQ

Either call HQ at 800-536-1897 or email kappadelta@kappadelta.org. You'll probably do best w/ a phone call.

I believe it's the Foundation who handles the badge reselling, but don't quote me on that.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
Can I just say that I'm SO tired of non-KD "collectors" buying KD badges on eBay just to resell at higher prices. It's SO frustrating!!!
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with how frustrating it is to see random "collectors" buying something that is so important to me. I have a problem with people selling the pins on ebay in general. I was taught at my chaper that when an initiated member no longer has a need for her pin (death, getting a new pin, etc) she is supposed to send her pin to headquarters. I was browsing on ebay the other day and I found a "pin mold", which was pretty much what the jewlers use to make badges. In the describtion of the item the seller made a point of saying you could use this to make your own badge and that it would work as a stationary stamp. This completely blew my mind. It was so obvious that this seller was not a KD because if they were they would know that the design of the badge can not be used on stationary... ever.
Sometimes it breaks my heart to see an woman's child or relative selling her pin with no reguard for what it might have meant to her. When I was pinned for the first time at my initiation I was pinned with my older sister's badge and it was a great experience. It would be amazing if alumnae would will their pins back to their chapter or to headquarters. Just think of being pinned with your chapter's founding sister's badges, that would be a great moment.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it doesn't happen as often as it should, and this mybe a KD "urban legend" but it was my understanding that your pin was to be buried with you or returned to headquarters upon you passing to the Chapter Eternal. I bought a pin from the KD Foundation several years ago to pass down to my "little sister" in a recently colonized chapter in my state. She was to pass it down to her little and so on and on. I know headquarters will help it your search for just the right pin and your helping the Foundation as well.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I was always told that, too. I don't think it's an urban legend. As I recall, I believe it is expressly stated in our bylaws. I'll have to check on that, however. Remember ladies: we have to keep in mind that if these sisters' family members don't know these traditions, they will just sell the pin and other KD memorabilia to the highest bidder, or give it away. We'd like to think that all of our sisters tell everyone they know about how wonderful our sisterhood is, but in reality, sometimes that is not always the case. Many women don't discuss or stay involved with KD after graduation, and that's a true shame.

Side note on the "Badge going back to National Headquarters" at the time of death. Here it is:

"All badges are the property of Kappa Delta Sorority. The national initiation fee shall include payment for a life lease of a plain badge." -Article XIII--Insignia and Customs

So, that tells you that yes, while you payed for your pin, the pin is technically still owned by the sorority, and it should be returned or buried with the member when she dies.

Last edited by kathykd2005; 12-22-2007 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Added Info
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

More information about this topic from this month's Angelos:

"When a new member is initiated into Kappa Delta, she receives from the sorority a plain badge, which is hers to wear for a lifetime (as long as she does not resign or have her membership terminated), but the final ownership remains with the sorority. The badge of a deceased member may be buried with her, given to another Kappa Delta in her family, returned to her collegiate chapter to be used as a commemorative badge, or returned to National Headquarters" (20).

The cover story is about the history of our beautiful badge!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
More information about this topic from this month's Angelos:

"When a new member is initiated into Kappa Delta, she receives from the sorority a plain badge, which is hers to wear for a lifetime (as long as she does not resign or have her membership terminated), but the final ownership remains with the sorority. The badge of a deceased member may be buried with her, given to another Kappa Delta in her family, returned to her collegiate chapter to be used as a commemorative badge, or returned to National Headquarters" (20).

The cover story is about the history of our beautiful badge!
Kathy,

When did you get your Angelos? I haven't gotten one for a while (figured the Winter one is due anytime now). Have not see anything about the badges.

AOT
DaffyKD
Old 12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I got mine yesterday! It's the Winter 2008 issue. You'll get it soon!!!

>>>Look for it! Copyright by Kappa Delta Sorority

Last edited by kathykd2005; 12-27-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathykd2005 View Post
I got mine yesterday! It's the Winter 2008 issue. You'll get it soon!!!

>>>Look for it! Copyright by Kappa Delta Sorority
It arrived today!!!

DaffyKD
Old 12-28-2007, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I still haven't received mine! I really want to read about the history of the badge. Here's hoping it comes soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Sad to say, I have lost my jeweled badge somewhere in the move.

I"m hoping it will turn up.

I did call HQ, to ask about replacing my pin, and they referred me to HFJones, along with the lady I'm supposed to speak to.

If anyone has the name of someone at HQ with info about buying the older badges, please let me know.

It's sad, because I really am missing my badge, and I wasn't able to wear it to a chapter event recently.

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that was the answer I received a month or so ago as well. I guess they don't get them in very often.

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

out of badges!?

Trying again & check with the Foundation. Nancy Church is the lady's name..I believe she's still running it. I spoke to her this past summer.