GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,777
1 members and 2,776 guests
zenjaminusasdz5

Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

Bid Day-
I stood on the Quad with 1000 other PMs (sandwiched back between the cheerleader and the golden girl again) and got my bid card. While I was holding it unopened in my hands, I remember thinking how sad I was going to be if it were Denmark or Monaco. I was already thinking about ways to politely decline the bid from either of those houses, because I thought that if I declined the bid, maybe another girl who really wanted to be in those houses could. I can’t reiterate enough how silly this thought process was. Being Greek, especially at a campus like Mizzou, in any chapter is amazing. I was definitely not being rational.

I'm not sure how bid day works at other campuses, but at Mizzou, all the PMs stand on the quad in lines and are given sealed envelopes. You hold the envelopes while the recruitment counselors reveal which chapter they are parts of and then there is a huge countdown. At the end of the countdown, the PMs rip open their cards and see who their bid is from. The seniors from each of the chapters are waiting on the quad, and the PMs run to their seniors who lead them back to the chapter houses for bid day.

The girls standing next to me were both "Totally positive" they would get the chapters they wanted. I was a unsure and scared. Holding that envelope in my hands was so frightening. After the countdown, I opened my envelope. All around me there were hundreds of squealing, jumping girls (and a few crying, sullen girls). I wasn't sure what I would be.
I opened the envelope and read...

ENGLAND!
I was so excited!!! I ran to the chapter house and met my new sisters. The minute I walked up the lawn to the house, I knew that getting released from Spain was the best thing that could have happened to me- I would have made myself try and fit in there to be like my sister-in-law. At England, I knew I would be able to thrive on my own two feet. And if Spain hadn't released me, I know that I wouldn't have even given any other chapters a chance.

I am happy to report that I went on to hold many positions in the chapter and am actively involved in my local alumnae group. I hope I didn’t offend anyone with this story, I was just trying to explain how I felt at the time.

I just wanted to share my story of how someone who wanted to drop recruitment after being cut from “the one” found a place that was perfect for her. If you get cut from a house you think is perfect, do NOT drop out of recruitment- you might be shutting the door to the house you were meant to be in! In each house there are the smart girls, the intimidatingly-pretty girls, rich girls, sporty girls, religious girls, party girls- do not judge a chater….keep and open mind and you will find your home away from home in Greek Life.

Oh, and my chapter?
England is

Alpha Phi!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Fabulous story- thanks for sharing!
Just curious- did the "totally positives" get the chapters they wanted?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

etadrisophilia- I'm pretty sure they did. To be honest, the minute I saw APhi on my bid card, I blocked them out
It isn't that I didn't like cheerleaders of golden girls (in fact, my chapter is a "dancing" house and a LOT of the golden girls were in my chapter and were my friends) but those two were very negative parts of my recruitment week
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Since this is a retro story, can you tell us which house is which? I tried to guess, but really want to know!

PS. I loved your story!! So much insight! And, so happy for your happy ending!

Last edited by tigerfanx5; 08-24-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if I should... I feel like I said some harsh things about some of the chapters and definitely do NOT want to hurt any feelings.
I will say that my pref day was Alpha Phi, Kappa Delta and Delta Delta Delta
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I loved your story. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2012, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Excellent story -- loved it!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I totally understand!! Great story!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemizzou View Post
Day 4- Pref
Also, both of the ceremonies were beautiful and meaningful, but I wasn’t quite understanding why the girls in the house, especially seniors, were crying. I vividly remember sitting there thinking “you still have your entire senior year together- why are you all upset?”.
Some people, me included, are the kind of people who bawl at Hallmark cards. I would probably do something like that. I can totally understand how someone would be confused about that, though.

I loved reading your story!

Last edited by clarinette; 08-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.