GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,424
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zsamnthajnrz607
» Online Users: 2,417
0 members and 2,417 guests
No Members online

Old 12-24-2014, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Best / Worst GLO Wikipedia article

I recently needed to look-up a quick historical fact on my fraternity and, frankly, Wikipedia is often easier than anything else. On visiting our article, though, I found 2 rote paragraphs that appeared to be copy/paste jobs from the national website. This seemed to be the case with most GLO entries on Wikipedia.

But there were a very small handful of exceptions. If I were someone who knew nothing about GLOs, I would assume Alpha Phi Alpha (which, I hate to say, I'd never heard of before) and Delta Upsilon were probably the most important GLOs in America based purely on how robust, extensive and well-composed their Wikipedia entries are ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Upsilon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaPhiAlpha

... on the opposite end of the spectrum are ATO and KA (Society) which suffer the same problem as my own GLO ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_Tau_Omega
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_Alpha_Society

How important is a Wiki-impression to rushees? To parents? Very, moderate, not at all? And how does your GLO rate?

Last edited by mbatisah; 12-24-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-25-2014, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbatisah View Post
If I were someone who knew nothing about GLOs, I would assume Alpha Phi Alpha (which, I hate to say, I'd never heard of before) ..
Old 12-25-2014, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
But now, thanks to Wikipedia, I know everything there is to know about it!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

The best

From the articles which are considered part of Wikipedia Project:Fraternities and sororities
Three articles about GLOs have been Featured Articles (which means they were actually shown on the Main Page for a day): Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi: All NPHC.

The Featured Lists: List of Alpha Kappa Alpha sisters, List of Alpha Phi Alpha brothers and List Phi Kappa Psi brothers.

Next level down is Good Articles: Animal House (The movie!), Dartmouth College Greek organizations , National Intercollegiate Band (run by KKPsi and TBS) and Oblation Run (which is the organized "Streaking" that some Alpha Phi Omega chapters in the Philippines).

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...and_Sororities

And I'll be happy to help anyone with editing, I'm an experienced Wikipedia user! (My handle is Naraht over there as well, so you can put questions on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Naraht as well)

Last edited by naraht; 12-25-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: additional offer!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Fun fact: The Alpha Phi Alpha page was made a Featured Article on the first day of our Centennial Celebration in 2006.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Fun fact: The Alpha Phi Alpha page was made a Featured Article on the first day of our Centennial Celebration in 2006.
Usually fun facts aren't all that fun, but, that was kind-of interesting! Was that a happy coincidence or was it supposed to happen that way?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
From the articles which are considered part of Wikipedia Project:Fraternities and sororities
Three articles about GLOs have been Featured Articles (which means they were actually shown on the Main Page for a day): Alpha Phi Alpha, Alpha Kappa Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi: All NPHC.

The Featured Lists: List of Alpha Kappa Alpha sisters, List of Alpha Phi Alpha brothers and List Phi Kappa Psi brothers.

Next level down is Good Articles: Animal House (The movie!), Dartmouth College Greek organizations , National Intercollegiate Band (run by KKPsi and TBS) and Oblation Run (which is the organized "Streaking" that some Alpha Phi Omega chapters in the Philippines).

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...and_Sororities

And I'll be happy to help anyone with editing, I'm an experienced Wikipedia user! (My handle is Naraht over there as well, so you can put questions on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Naraht as well)
That's great insight! I'd never heard of the Oblation Run, so it was an interesting read. (GLOs in the Philippines are an interesting topic, generally.)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbatisah View Post
Usually fun facts aren't all that fun, but, that was kind-of interesting! Was that a happy coincidence or was it supposed to happen that way?
I honestly have no idea how it happened but I doubt it was a coincidence. The bros have a love/hate relationship with Wikipedia, so it was quite a surprise when we became a featured page. I think naraht was the person who brought it to my attention in the first place when it happened.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I honestly have no idea how it happened but I doubt it was a coincidence. The bros have a love/hate relationship with Wikipedia, so it was quite a surprise when we became a featured page. I think naraht was the person who brought it to my attention in the first place when it happened.
Yeah, as impressed as I was with both your and DU's pages it's clear they weren't just the product of the national comms director because they both are pretty frank about both the good and the bad.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Collective Response.
When an article is a Featured Article Candidate, a specific date can be requested. You don't always get it, but in this case, they did.

Neutral Point of View is one of the Pillars on which Wikipedia is based. Theoretically, the Alpha Phi Alpha article should be such that you can't tell whether it was written by an Alpha Phi Alpha brother, an Omega Psi Phi brother or someone from New Zealand whose closest exposure to Fraternities *is* the references that have been located.

The Greek system in the Philippines would make most US college Dean of Students/Greek Affairs curl up in the Fetal position...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Bump for spammers.