GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,514
1 members and 1,513 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

I'm more disturbed that the OP has such a low HIGH SCHOOL GPA and is busy worrying about Greekdom. You still got into college so worry about doing better in college than you did in high school; and then worry about Greekdom.

As for fraternities and GPAs, it arguably isn't just the fraternities with academic purposes that care about GPAs. National fraternities chapters (that have strict national guidelines and are required to adhere to them) tend to adhere to national guidelines. Some chapters will work hard to ignore national guidelines to bring in men with lower GPAs. Others will not. Also, some colleges and universities are strict on GPA. Therefore, some fraternity chapters will adhere to their institution's guidelines as to avoid things like getting placed on probation and so forth.

Across institutions and across councils and conferences, I've seen some fraternity chapters get "in trouble" and have outcomes such as being threatened of having their charter revoked. They tried to depict themselves as the "laid back chapter" (among other things) that doesn't care about GPAs. Well, that was counter to their National guidelines and/or their institution's guidelines. Fail.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-08-2011, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Seriously? I didn't know such incredible schools like Mizzou and Ole Miss would take people with such low scores. Am I missing something?
LOL - that was my first thought too. Some schools, however, do take into account the rigor of high school coursework in the admissions decision. For example, an applicant from a competitive and challenging high school with a lower GPA might be weighed the same as an applicant with a higher GPA from a less challenging high school, within reason.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I'm more disturbed that the OP has such a low HIGH SCHOOL GPA and is busy worrying about Greekdom. You still got into college so worry about doing better in college than you did in high school; and then worry about Greekdom.
Couldn't agree more. I recently wrote something in a sorority recruitment thread about GPA and the shock that comes first semester (or first quarter) when making the transition from high school to university/college.

If the OP had a "perfect" score on his nationally standardized test, yet a still less than stellar GPA (being kind here), that would suggest to me that the cognitive ability is there and that he hadn't applied himself to his studies. He could "get by" in high school without studying, in other words. Well, that doesn't happen in college. Crystal ball says: in for a rude awakening.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Yes, unlike that National Honor Society thread about the 3.0 and above GPA (LOL), the OP here has a 2.5. Then we have another username with a 2.3 worrying about rush.

Regardless of how competitive or rigorous the high school is, it is only high school. People better not run around in college and throughout life boasting about a competitive high school. If you have a 2.5 or below in high school, tighten it up so that you can prepare for college BEFORE worrying about having a high enough GPA to rush.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
It depends what you major in. Even at big state schools, you can skate by pretty easily if you pick the right thing.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Whoa. Are people advocating skating? I would never tell a high school or college student that they can skate through.

Skating isn't something to aim for whether it pertains to college or Greekdom. If people graduate high school or college with a less than preferred GPA, okay. But that should never be the ultimate goal.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Whoa. Are people advocating skating? I would never tell a high school or college student that they can skate through.

Skating isn't something to aim for whether it pertains to college or Greekdom. If people graduate high school or college with a less than preferred GPA, okay. But that should never be the ultimate goal.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^and I see that ("skate by pretty easily") as a problem. Those members who barely make a 2.0 GPA (or worse), or those who are between a 2.0 and a 2.5, may not only be on scholastic probation (which means they miss out on social events, for example), but they pull down the entire house GPA, which affects the sorority or fraternity standing. That matters. That's not good. That's my opinion, fwiw.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

This really bothers me.

And never ever ever tell someone that certain majors allow skaters. That breeds angry and utterly shocked college students who assumed they had chosen an easy major. They get angry because the classes aren't easy and the professors actually challenge them. Gosh, imagine that! Students who expected to skate then begin dropping classes (which can create admissions and financial aid issues, depending on when they drop)

Telling students they can skate also breeds negative student-professor evaluations and tension on the part of departments-administration when students no longer want to take certain courses, or choose certain majors, because they aren't as "easy" as they had been told. You even have some departments that are trying to remove prerequisites or reduce the course load to accommodate those who want maximum gain with minimum effort. Bad idea for the individuals involved and bad idea for the American education system.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
This really bothers me.

And never ever ever tell someone that certain majors allow skaters. That breeds angry and utterly shocked college students who assumed they had chosen an easy major. They get angry because the classes aren't easy and the professors actually challenge them. Gosh, imagine that! Students who expected to skate then begin dropping classes (which can create admissions and financial aid issues, depending on when they drop)

Telling students they can skate also breeds negative student-professor evaluations and tension on the part of departments-administration when students no longer want to take certain courses, or choose certain majors, because they aren't as "easy" as they had been told. You even have some departments that are trying to remove prerequisites or reduce the course load to accommodate those who want maximum gain with minimum effort. Bad idea for the individuals involved and bad idea for the American education system.
Bringing back the CO-SIGN!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
This really bothers me.

Over a third of students are getting through college without doing any critical thinking.

Look, I'm not saying it's right, but the fact remains that many, many students get bachelor's degrees without doing any real college-level work. I have attended three schools of higher education at this point, and I am certain that every one of them had classes that required very little effort. I don't think that should be anyone's goal upon entering college, as students should learn as much as they possibly can in the time allotted, but some departments or professors just don't have the rigor of others.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Banned

This means nothing in relation to what you said or what I said.

Academicians already know that the average college student is a "C" student. But, if it was just about choosing easy classes and easy majors, the average student would range from "B" to "A." Unless people are now claiming that college students are so lazy and/or dumb that they can still only get a "C" even in the "easiest" classes or majors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Look, I'm not saying it's right, but the fact remains that many, many students get bachelor's degrees without doing any real college-level work. I have attended three schools of higher education at this point, and I am certain that every one of them had classes that required very little effort. I don't think that should be anyone's goal upon entering college, as students should learn as much as they possibly can in the time allotted, but some departments or professors just don't have the rigor of others.
Then don't appear as though you are recommending it. If there happen to be easier classes and easier majors at some schools, let students find that on their own; or let their academic advisers direct them accordingly.

But, since you posted that article about that study for which I'm already quite familiar, all studies have limitations and implications for future research:
General education requirements are designed to provide basic understanding but not to develop those skills to the maximum. Some basic skills would hopefully be developed before college so we need to critique the American education system, and family educational structures, before students get to college. College majors are designed to develop some skills but not others. This issue with college majors is one reason why some schools minimize the importance of majors/minors and even grades. When I talk to some biology majors across institutions, for example, they will not know many of the things that I consider basic because they are set on a specific concentration. I would have to teach some of them this information, even those who are getting ready to graduate. Even after teaching them, some of these students still get a "C," "D," or "F." However, I would never claim that biology is an easy major, in which some of its students can skate, just because some of these students would do poorly (and have a lower GPA) if their college knowledge was based on my areas of expertise and courses outside of their major.

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-08-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Over a third of students are getting through college without doing any critical thinking.

Pathetic.

Quote:
Some educators note that a weakened economy and a need to work while in school may be partly responsible for the reduced focus on academics, while others caution against using the study to blame students for not applying themselves.
The students ARE to blame for not applying themselves. Eff what you heard.

Quote:
Students who majored in the traditional liberal arts — including the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences and mathematics — showed significantly greater gains over time than other students in critical thinking, complex reasoning and writing skills.

Students majoring in business, education, social work and communications showed the least gains in learning. However, the authors note that their findings don't preclude the possibility that such students "are developing subject-specific or occupationally relevant skills."
Naturally!

<-- BA in English lol

Quote:
Then don't appear as though you are recommending it. If there happen to be easier classes and easier majors at some schools, let students find that on their own; or let their academic advisers direct them accordingly.
C-C-C-COSIGN!

Quote:
This means nothing in relation to what I said.
Sounds like someone's critical thinking skills are subpar. *smirk*

Last edited by preciousjeni; 04-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
C-C-C-COSIGN!
All I saw was "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER" Lol

Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
All I saw was "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER" Lol
lmao