GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,372
1 members and 2,371 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm pulling for the pink, blue and bronze right now!
Me too! I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear something about the results. My chapter has been working so hard the last few years and the work is really starting to pay off( See: last year!). It stinks being 8 hours from Athens so I'm having to rely on word of mouth to hear anything!!

Quote:
I know I can't expect to go to bed anytime soon....DD is texting updates!
If you feel so inclined, I'd love a PM to get some info on my chapter!

Edit: Here's an article from today's Red and Black, but it isn't very informational....apparently there was a slight rise in PNMs registered this year.

http://media.www.redandblack.com/med...-3399537.shtml

Last edited by DGAdDawg; 08-18-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: To add link
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the Rude and Bleak link....(sorry, that's our old nickname from back in the glory days of Herschel Walker & NCAA championships...."Speed dating"....great analogy. What a good looking house in the background of that picture.....see that room on the upstairs left....that was me and axoalum....good times!
Go Greek!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAMOMof4 View Post
She is from out of state--not adjoining--which I think makes it a little more difficult. There are so few connections, if any, for out of state girls. With a highly competitive recruitment like UGA, I believe you just need someone on the inside pulling for you every step of the way. From what I can remember from the process many, many years ago, there was always someone pulling for someone from their hometown, cousin, etc. All that means is when the tough decisions come around regarding cuts/quotas, there are so many great girls who slip through the cracks because no one knows them very well.
This is not just happening to out of state girls. In the past few years, the girls from our HS have had the same experiences, although last year was better than the year before when only 4 of 12 received a bid. The HOPE scholarship and the rampant growth of metro Atlanta has really had an effect on the sororities at UGA, IMO. There are now huge blocks of girls from the suburban Atlanta high schools who back girls from their high schools, and so on and so on until there's no room for anybody else.

For the first time in five years, I don't know a single girl going through recruitment at Georgia, Alabama or Auburn.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Yep, went to bed thinking "This is silly. I'll just wait for the news tomorrow morning." -
Old 08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekAlphaSoup View Post
Thanks for the Rude and Bleak link....(sorry, that's our old nickname from back in the glory days of Herschel Walker & NCAA championships...."Speed dating"....great analogy. What a good looking house in the background of that picture.....see that room on the upstairs left....that was me and axoalum....good times!
I lived in that house for a couple of years, too. About rush, I heard a couple of sororities cut half after round one. That is strong. My pnm source is from out of state, too. And, has seen alot of girls cut. It seems a girl must have an inside contact/friend in order to be noticed. Best of luck.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Aww, Soup!
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

UGAMom, Where are you? Is no news good news? I am so nervous I am wringing my hands. Let us know soon!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know quota at UGA?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted about my rec girl this year at UGA ( I only had one this year, strange) in the SEC thread, but I'll post here as well, and give a little more information, now that voting is over.

This girl is a direct legacy to:

Delta Zeta (grandmother)
Delta Delta Delta (mother, UGA)
Zeta Tau Alpha (sister)

She had an amazing rush. I listed yesterday that she was able to pref at three sororities, but didn't list them. I just said instead that they are all awesome, and she can't go wrong at any of them.

They are:

Zeta Tau Alpha
Alpha Chi Omega
Gamma Phi Beta

The girls from this area, for the last five years or so, have ended up in these three sororities as well as Pi Beta Phi and Delta Gamma. These are all just fabulous chapters at Georgia, and I hope we continue the home town advantage for awhile, in case my youngest daughter ends up going to UGA!

By the way, it's interesting that there are some UGA Alpha Chi Omegas posting in this thread, because I was going to post that I do love the pictures that UGA AXO always take of their new members. They take some photos where the girls are looking out of the house windows (I assume it's the living room) and on the staircase. They are always such beautiful girls, and very classy.

UGAMom: I do hope you'll have some wonderful news to report about your daughter.

Last edited by BBelleADPi; 08-18-2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to add Delta Gamma!!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
I think they are meeting for bids around 5:30 p.m. then they are meeting their new sisters around 7:00 -ish....Just what I think I heard today....
But, but, but...we wanna know NOW!

Good Luck to all.

I'm following a couple of girls from my alma mater -- fingers crossed!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

No news is good news!

As far as I know, DD has not been contacted. This certainly must mean that she has the bid. She and I texted a little this morning, but only about classes. She's a little cautious and I don't want to make things worse. Once the bid is in hand, then we'll celebrate!

I do believe they will get their bids around 5:30 then all gather at the big fields. Parties at each house follow tonight.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter just went through rush at Alabama and I do believe that the time right before they received their bids was the WORST! My daughter was fortunate enough to have several really good options after prefs but she really had her heart set on one. It worked out for her and it looks like your daughter is going to be a new pledge tonite too! Please keep us posted!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I was emailed that Quota is 58 at UGA.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Just talked to daughter

I just talked to my daughter on the way to class and she is still not comfortable. She's worried that her Gamma Chi may have dropped the ball by not calling her and she'll show up in the lobby in her white dress and feel like a fool! I can't say I blame her for being cautious. She says there are lots of stories going around and "misstatements" of truth, if you know what I mean. One story that she heard is that 600/1300 have been cut or withdrew. That seems unusually high. Does anyone have any inside info? Also, I told her to call the panhellenic office and just ask. Her Gamma Chi did not reply to her text today. It's possible she's in class, but DD's worried that the GC does not want to be the one to break bad news so is avoiding it. Any thoughts, ideas or info?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAMOMof4 View Post
I just talked to my daughter on the way to class and she is still not comfortable. She's worried that her Gamma Chi may have dropped the ball by not calling her and she'll show up in the lobby in her white dress and feel like a fool! I can't say I blame her for being cautious. She says there are lots of stories going around and "misstatements" of truth, if you know what I mean. One story that she heard is that 600/1300 have been cut or withdrew. That seems unusually high. Does anyone have any inside info? Also, I told her to call the panhellenic office and just ask. Her Gamma Chi did not reply to her text today. It's possible she's in class, but DD's worried that the GC does not want to be the one to break bad news so is avoiding it. Any thoughts, ideas or info?
*That number seems like a "rumor" number. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

*It seems like your daughter is just being paranoid. Gamma Chi's are trained on how to "break the news" to PNMs. I doubt that her Gamma Chi would leave her hanging if she knew that she wasn't getting a bid just because she "didn't want to break the news." In general, they like to notify you as soon as possible so that you DON'T show up to Bid Day.

Lakers Nation.