GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,771
0 members and 1,771 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2014, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Deferred rush is not really an option at Ole Miss.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2014, 07:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
No it isn't.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
No it isn't. Freshman year provides the best opportunities as there are Chapters that won't consider a sophomore.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

YIKES MP!!!!! a couple of questions-- does she know anyone currently "in house" down there? i.e. someone who can lobby for her and convince their sisters that she really may not be a grade risk?? (As you know this would be a lot more helpful if the active just happened to be in one of the girls legacy houses)...

Secondly-- what is the HS's grading scale? I know up here with all of the super competitive private schools a 2.7-2.8 isn't "that bad"- especially when the grading scale can be as high as out of 5... if she IS at one of those schools- she can always add to her rush packet "un-weighted" --- meaning if it was brought up to scale it would be more like a 3.6--- (I know times have changed but when I went through down there I put both my weighted (4.2) and unweighted (3.5) GPA's down and noted each as such--- all though come to think of it I actually think my official hs transcript also was listed like that-- based on which honors and AP classes you took-- )

Finally, NO deferred is NOT an option-- the only option that would be somewhat feasible would be for her to do a year at a community college, get the grades up and then transfer-- but even then she would be an OOS sophomore --which we both know how detrimental THAT would be....

I guess my advice would be to tell her to go on through but be prepared for MASSIVE cuts. I know every once in a while a sorority WILL make a grade exception for a truly exceptional candidate-- but she will need to realize that this is more the exception than the rule. I honestly think at Ole Miss that she would be more at a disadvantage NOT going through than going through and risking grade cuts....

(also you asked if not Ole Miss than where--- aren't grade mins set by IO and not indiv. chapters?? Meaning even if she did go somewhere else that she would face the same issues--- at least at Ole Miss houses are so large that I can see an exception being made with a pledge class of 100 versus a pledge class of 25-- if that makes sense????--)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOleMiss View Post
(Also you asked if not Ole Miss than where--- aren't grade mins set by IO and not indiv. chapters?? Meaning even if she did go somewhere else that she would face the same issues--- at least at Ole Miss houses are so large that I can see an exception being made with a pledge class of 100 versus a pledge class of 25-- if that makes sense????--)
HQ/IO grade requirements for some of the 26 NPC GLO's can be as low a GPA as 2.5. For some GLOs local by-laws may vary somewhat with the HQ/IO number being the floor and not the ceiling.

Ole Miss Panhellenic has run the statisics, and they see that students below a 3.0 are cut outright or drop out before signing their Bid Card (a/k/a MRABA.) In fact many ONMs that are cut will give the story that they chose to withdraw. And as s I mentioned in the very first post, everyone knows/hears of that one snowflake that made the bid list of ABC instead of ending up bidless or in XYZ (you know "that" chapter,) but there were factors beyond public knowledge that led to that bid.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 03-14-2014 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Too many typos for words. Where's the rest of my caffeine.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

interesting on the grades like I said (or maybe didn't say but thought) not a grade expert just somehow had in my head it was an IO thing and not chapter- but what you said makes sense :-)

I still come back to the if not Ole Miss than where-- would she end up transferring to Ole Miss after a year? Even then, there is no guarantee that she will affiliate, and you know as well as I do, how "cliquey" even the "best/ most accepting" of Ole Miss sororities are- so even if she did affiliate would she "fit in"....

I guess it really boils down to whether or not this girl has her heart set on Ole Miss or on being in a sorority. I still don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but it will be an uphill rush (sorry recruitment :-) ) for her with the GPA. If being in a sorority is more important to her than which school she is at, I suggest she look at the schools where she applied and were accepted and find out which one either has the "bare minimum" GPA for recruitment or does second semester formal recruitment.

Best of luck to her (AND TO YOU!!!--- ugh what an awful situation to be put in to advise :-) )
Old 03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
How about SMU where they have deferred rush and she can have a semester to pull her QPA out of the toilet?

Or, um, does she just not have the intellectual capacity?
Deferred rush is an excellent idea, but I am struggling to think of a Southern school that she could attend with that GPA. She can't even sniff SMU. Their freshman class will be 3.5s and above and most from college prep private schools.

Vandy, Tulane, W&L, UVA and Emory are also out. I'm seriously doubting Baylor as well, but of all of those it is the least competitive admission-wise.

I can't think of a single Southern public university with deferred recruitment.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 03-14-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Spring Hill College in Mobile AL is not public, but it does have a deferred recruitment.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Or could she take one semester at a community college, study hard and get great grades, then take the next semester to build her community involvement resume?
With only 1 semester of college, would the Ole Miss GLO's still consider her a freshman?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Or could she take one semester at a community college, study hard and get great grades, then take the next semester to build her community involvement resume?
With only 1 semester of college, would the Ole Miss GLO's still consider her a freshman?
It really wouldn't help her to take 1 semester at CC and transfer to Ole Miss to try sorority rush. Very few chapters participate in informal/ Spring recruitment.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but isn't Alpha Phi planning to colonize in 2015 at Ole Miss? If she likes the school and wants to go right away, and things don't work out the first time or she decides not to go through recruitment, would she consider colony recruitment as a sophomore? That might be something for her to think about when making her decisions, and she would have some time to improve her grades.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
It really wouldn't help her to take 1 semester at CC and transfer to Ole Miss to try sorority rush. Very few chapters participate in informal/ Spring recruitment.
Actually, she could take the Spring semester off (work, volunteer) and start the next Fall.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
Actually, she could take the Spring semester off (work, volunteer) and start the next Fall.
Well, that means:
- 1st semester freshman yr at CC
- 2nd semester no school at all
- Then enroll at Ole Miss and rush in the fall as a 2nd semester freshman
as an OOS student.

Seems really risky. I really don't know that this idea would be successful at Ole Miss either, but I guess not impossible if her grades at CC were stellar.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Sequins here needs some help understanding the scenario. If she is a current HS senior, isn't there a chance that she can pull up her GPA this semester before graduating? It's not over yet. Another thought, with its own risks, taking a couple of classes this summer to show a university-level (versus HS) effort?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe Christopher Newport has Spring recruitment, but as popular as CNU is becoming, it isn't an Ole Miss experience. A very different vibe: new versus traditional. Other Virginia schools with deferred recruitment: Richmond (private) and VT.

Last edited by pinksequins; 03-14-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: more schools