GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,144
0 members and 1,144 guests
No Members online

Old 08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsilverbronz View Post
Round Three--Skit/Philanthropy (Business Casual)

Issues: Business casual does not=business suit. Especially not one with unflattering horizontal stripes. The jewelry is classy, but it's a whole lot of diamonds and it ends up looking like an outfit for a day at the office.
Not going to lie I was just skimming this and I saw this for the third round and i'm like "WHAT IS THIS GIRL THINKINKG"

Then I realized it was a "what not to wear"
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Maryland has formal recruitment in January-February.
[Nice] Jeans are definitely acceptable and common during round 1.

Round 2 really runs the gamut. PNMs will wear nice jeans, dress pants, skirts, casual dresses, etc.

All of the outfits up to this point, except the jeans in round 1, are interchangeable for the first three rounds. Round 3 is pretty varied, except there are far fewer PNMs wearing jeans.

I couldn't decide on the shoes or the dress or the earrings. Oh well, the collage looks pretty.

Obviously, I know where I am going.

What I actually wore in Spring 2004 (the first two rounds were combined due to snow):
Tours/Philanthropy, night 1: fuchsia 3/4 sleeve button-up shirt with black dress pants and black wedge boots
Tours/Philanthropy, night 2: black 3/4 sleeve wrap shirt with medium wash jeans and black wedge boots
Skit (8): bright indigo 3/4 sleeve button-up shirt with black dress pants and black wedge boots
Preference (3): 3/4 sleeve knee length print wrap dress in shades of blue, camel, red, ivory, and black with red mary jane heels

My actual outfits were mostly appropriate, just not very imaginative, which is really weird for me. I don't know why I didn't think about what to wear more. Wearing medium wash jeans for the 2nd night of Tours/Philanthropy was maybe not a good idea at the time, but more and more PNMs have been wearing jeans (though mostly dark) in recent years. It just made me wonder, since we visited 7 chapters each night; the first night I was invited back to 6 of 7 chapters, and the second night I was invited back to 2 of 7 chapters.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-08-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE this thread!!! Since DD's school has deferred recruitment, I would love to see more cold weather ensembles, thanks violetpretty!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
LOVE this thread!!! Since DD's school has deferred recruitment, I would love to see more cold weather ensembles, thanks violetpretty!
I can only vouch for Maryland...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I meant my remarks to mean that I appreciate violetpretty's coming up with a cold weather/deferred recruitment set, not asking for more ensembles from her.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Sorry I meant my remarks to mean that I appreciate violetpretty's coming up with a cold weather/deferred recruitment set, not asking for more ensembles from her.
All I mean by that was that what is appropriate at Maryland may or may not be appropriate at your daughter's school (or elsewhere).
Old 08-07-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
BID DAY:
I'd wear this cute Michael Kors dress (which you can totally get at Macy's for $69.99). Comfy and with pockets! Sure, it's not totally white, but who cares? Recruitment is over!

Of the schools where NMs wear white dresses on bid day, is this because chapters do the pledging ritual on bid day or just because it's tradition to wear white on bid day?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment in the Desert

I'm sure we will see it all going through recruitment. We always do. Here are some common things you find girls wearing during recruitment in the desert where temps will likely hover around 110.

Round One is 15 minutes long. On this day Chapter members are in a Chapter specific t-shirt, shorts and usually flip flops.

Round Two is our philanthropy day. Again the Chapter girls are in Chapter specific t-shirts, but they try to go a little dressier with their bottoms and shoes.

Round Three is their sisterhood/slide show day. The Chapters will wear sundresses. I personally HATE what my chapter picked to wear and the Recruitment Chair conveniently changed her mind and didn't run it by me. They will either pull it off and look really cute or they will look like a bunch of street walkers *sigh*

Preference
I picked a black dress, but it has interesting details in the hem and belt. Because of that I kept the accessories to a minimum. A lot of the Chapters at our school don't wear black. Several wear white and we wear red.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set/...AAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Bid Day
This is done late afternoon during the hottest time of the day. This is how most of the new members will show up WITH a water bottle

Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Of the schools where NMs wear white dresses on bid day, is this because chapters do the pledging ritual on bid day or just because it's tradition to wear white on bid day?
I think it's sort of both.

Here's what Auburn's site says about Bid Day attire:
Also, many sororities have a members-only "formal pinning" ceremony on the evening of Bid Day. It is at this ceremony that you are given your new member pin. Many sororities require that the new members wear a white dress to this occasion. So, it's a good idea to bring one with you to Auburn. It doesn't have to be pretty or cost a fortune. As long as it is white, it will do.

Since you know you might need the dress, you've already bought it. So why not wear it?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
Also, many sororities have a members-only "formal pinning" ceremony on the evening of Bid Day. It is at this ceremony that you are given your new member pin. Many sororities require that the new members wear a white dress to this occasion. So, it's a good idea to bring one with you to Auburn. It doesn't have to be pretty or cost a fortune. As long as it is white, it will do.
I think a solid white dress and a solid black dress are worthwhile additions to any sorority member's wardrobe. It's probably not a bad idea to snag them when you find some you like and they're on sale!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it that my mind is thinking of miss_etiquette?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsilverbronz View Post
OK, I decided to just go ahead and do it. Hope y'all enjoy! I'll talk about the problems with each outfit--maybe it will serve as a caution to PNMs--and they can avoid the mistakes that some of us made (I personally did not wear animal print, or feathers, or ridiculous amounts of bling...but you never know!)

First we have Round One--Ice Water Teas/Open House (Casual)

Issues: Animal print. Too much of it! It's okay to be color-coordinated, but there is too much pink and black here, the rubber bracelets are pretty tacky, the shorts don't quite go with the rest of the outfit, and those heels? Not casual, or good for walking!

Round Two--House Tours (Casual)

Issues: Feathers. That skirt looks like a dead bird and is NOT recruitment appropriate. Paired with a tank top that is partly made of leather=not a good look at all. The shoes are cute...for a night out on the town! Not for a casual round of recruitment, or for lots and lots of walking. The necklace is nice, but paired with the big earrings and clunky shoes, it's too much gold and black and feels overdone.

Round Three--Skit/Philanthropy (Business Casual)

Issues: Business casual does not=business suit. Especially not one with unflattering horizontal stripes. The jewelry is classy, but it's a whole lot of diamonds and it ends up looking like an outfit for a day at the office.

Round Four--Preference (Cocktail)

Issues: Where to begin? The dress is too short, too sequined, and a strapless dress will need to be hiked up all night long unless it has some serious structure. Assuming the wearer is attending preference at more than one chapter, it is very unwise to wear the symbol of one sorority, even if "your heart is already set on it", because you risk making the other chapter think you're not interested in them. There is WAY too much sparkle in this outfit. The shoes are very high and the silver and diamonds will just make you look like some kind of glittery party favor.

Bid Day (Tank Tops and Jeans)

Issues: Destroyed+patched jeans are not classy, and are not going to look good or put-together in photographs. If you're spending the money for designer jeans, get some that don't look like they're falling apart! A tank top does NOT equal this cropped number with the huge bow--how are you supposed to layer a bid day jersey on top? The heavy gold jewelry is more suited for a night out than a bid day, and doesn't coordinate with the outfit.
very good advice-i am afraid that some may miss that this is WHAT NOT TO WEAR. common sense should will out, but you never know.

would you mind either making a bold title for this particular post, or perhaps making an entirely different thread entitled "WHAT NOT TO WEAR" ?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
So, if you had unlimited money, store options, etc. what would you wear if you could do it again?

I wouldn't have gone through recruitment in the 80s, and I would have left my preppy clothes and rayon in the trash can.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy Cow! Whoever said polyvore = crack was right! I have spent countless hours wasting time on it and I think putting together outfits on what NOT to wear may be even more enjoyable. This truly is a feast for the eyes!

I think I now need to go lead a productive life.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Holy Cow! Whoever said polyvore = crack was right! I have spent countless hours wasting time on it and I think putting together outfits on what NOT to wear may be even more enjoyable. This truly is a feast for the eyes!

I think I now need to go lead a productive life.
Rainbow tutu? Oh man.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx