GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,467
0 members and 1,467 guests
No Members online

Old 01-11-2005, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
II don't know why I'm bugged by the constant "discreet" talk. When I was a pledge, I wanted to shout my affiliation from the hills (if ohio had any). I wore my pin and my bandana with pride (and in jeans!).
It is mainly NPHC groups who encourage prospective members to use discretion as to whom they want to pledge. This is because their method of rush/intake is different - you are expected to research the goals and values of each org, decide which fits you best, and THEN make yourself known to the local chapter as someone interested in membership.

Think of it as similar to a job search....if you go to an interview for PNC you sure aren't going to say "oh I have an interview at Mellon right after this."
Old 07-23-2005, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to passionsast
Quote:
not every national sorority
-has a huge membership or huge NM classes
-has a house
-has to worry about constant visits from nationals

not every local sorority
-has a small membership
-is a crazy group of hazers

--lyrica9
i agree. i'm currently in a colony of a national organization, but before that we were a local sorority. as of the end of last semester we had 22 women, with some new member classes being as small as 5. local dues were kept the same as when we were a local sorority, and they're actually more expensive than the national dues.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Langox510x Send a message via Yahoo to Langox510x
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOX81 View Post
That's not completely true. We can get t-shirts for under $10 and we usually have 15-20 active sisters. It all depends upon where you order your shirts at.
I got 10 shirts for $100 on eBay myself. All custom and all for local.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Langox510x Send a message via Yahoo to Langox510x
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiPsiRuss View Post
Name one instance where any national group has "breathed down the neck" of a chapter, unless that chapter has already committed a grave violation of policy (like hospitalizing a pledge.) When such lamentable events happen with locals, their entire existence hanges by a thread. Rare, drastic actions by parent organizations ensure their survival.
I wish Nationals would be breathing down our necks. When my frat was national Phi Sigma Kappa didn't do sh!t for us. All a lot of National fraternaties care about is the really big schools. My school has 10,000+ students and were to small for Nationals to care.

Before Phi Sigma Kappa took over Phi Sigma Epsilon we had about 40 members, and when my frat became associated with Kappa we went down to about 7 members. We now have about 15 members 16 rushes and I believe our pledge class will be about 10 strong and all quality men. I'm rush chair and my goal is to build my frat even stronger then what it was back in the 80's.

Last edited by Langox510x; 09-26-2006 at 11:49 AM.