GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,399
1 members and 1,398 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post
Yes for ADPi--I remember reading about one in a fairly recent (within a few years) issue of the Adelphean about this
Delta Chapter (University of Texas) seems to have the record number of Founder Legacies. A couple of our Founders didn't leave any children, so that makes it a bit more special.

When I was in school, we had a five-generation/Adelphean legacy. Sadly, she really didn't want to go greek, but she did pledge, was initiated at Convention, transferred schools, and was never heard from again.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
While there are no direct legacies to your founders, what about great grand nieces as NutBrn mentions? Did Helen's sisters have daughters, etc.
As far as I know, there are none.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

None of our founders had children. As far as I know, one of our founder's nieces became a Soror.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Wyman Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
While there are no direct legacies to your founders, what about great grand nieces as NutBrn mentions? Did Helen's sisters have daughters, etc.
As Elizabeth Heywood Wyman's great great grand niece, I can verify that AOII does have a member tied to the founder.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM
GreekChat Member

While I've known her for some time, I had the honor of hearing the granddaughter of Mary Comfort Leonard speak at Founders Day in Tuscaloosa last Sunday. What a treat to hear her personal memories of her grandmother! And to see all the artifacts she brought with her. We also learned that one of her granddaughters will be going to college next year and is looking at Alabama. Since the Fraternity has her badge in the archives(a replacement she got at the 1909 Convention as her original one had been lost)1, their family members are initiated with it. Very cool!

Last edited by Titchou; 03-15-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Two great great granddaughters of one of Phi Mu's national founders were in the UGa chapter recently!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPanda View Post
As Elizabeth Heywood Wyman's great great grand niece, I can verify that AOII does have a member tied to the founder.
Hello and welcome to GC! Please come introduce yourself in our AOII forum, we're glad to have you here.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
While I've known her for some time, I had the honor of hearing the granddaughter of Mary Comfort Leonard speak at Founders Day in Tuscaloosa last Sunday. What a treat to hear her personal memories of her grandmother! And to see all the artifacts she brought with her. We also learned that one of her granddaughters will be going to college next year and is looking at Alabama. Since the Fraternity has her badge in the archives(a replacement she got at the 1909 Convention as her original one had been lost)1, their family members are initiated with it. Very cool!
Fingers crossed that she attends Bama and pledges DG! How great would that be to have a founders great-great(?) granddaughter AND get to see that very special badge at initiation?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Fingers crossed that she attends Bama and pledges DG! How great would that be to have a founders great-great(?) granddaughter AND get to see that very special badge at initiation?
I think I would faint dead away!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPanda View Post
Well that is pretty cool.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Banned

In Kappa Sigma, we had several descendants of the founders become members of the fraternity, and I think there are one or two descendants still around who are members, but back in the 1980s the fraternity had something really cool happen. The spiritual founder of Kappa Sigma was an old Greek Scholar named Manual Chrysoloras who came to Italy in the 1400s to teach greek to the students.......

Anyway, in the 1980s one of the chapters actually initiated a guy who was a direct descendent of Chrysoloras! There was a bunch of articles written in the magazine about it and he attended many conclaves before moving back to Greece. I wish I had been alive to have been able to experience that!

BG
Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe I am a distant great granddaughter of one of the founders of Alpha Delta Pi. All the research I've been able to find online points to a direct lineage, but I really need to make a trip to Georgia to search archives and verify 100%. While I am not an ADPi, my mother is. Mom didn't become related until after she married my dad.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I know Julia Bishop Coleman's daughter and granddaughter are Delta Zetas. Beyond that, I don't know.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

We have one Founder -- Ossian Everett Mills, "Father of Sinfonia." The original members of our Alpha chapter are referred to as charter members of the Fraternity.

Father Mills' great-great-grandson, Eric Mills, was initiated in 2008 by our Gamma Theta chapter (University of North Texas). I may be dreaming this -- I'm not finding any reference to it on the web -- but I seem to recall reading that he was not aware that his great-great-grandfather was the founder of Sinfonia when he pledged.

In addition, Father Mills' grandson, Arthur Mills, was initiated as a national honorary member (Alpha Alpha chapter) in connection with Founder's Day observances in Boston in October 2004. The honorary initiation was in recognition of the support and assistance he gave Fraternity leaders who were doing historical research in preparation for our 1998 Centennial. Mills, who was born about six years after Father Mills' death, was around 77 at the time of his initiation.