GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,499
0 members and 2,499 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Acceptance

I don't know how it is at other universities and colleges but I was wondering if being a local sorority was difficult? I am a sister of Zeta Delta Phi, the only local soror on campus. We are still pretty new, founded March 13, 2003. We are not accepted as a "sorority" among the other national sororities on campus. We have to defend our sisterhood everyday, to other sororities on campus or to people that don't think we are a "real" sorority. I was wondering if other locals have the same issues. Thanks much.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2006, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Yep, it ain't easy being the only one. People make TONS of assumptions about us. Examples:

- they assume we're being colonized...or waiting to colonize...or desperately want to be colonized by an NPC org. Nope, not in any forseeable future.

- they assume we just started. Nope, TD is 85 years old. Some of the other groups on my all-local campus are closer to 100.

- the "why didn't you join a national?"...umm...didn't have any at our school, and I wanted to join Tau Delta.

- that we're all a bunch of rule breakers, hazers, etc. That we aren't the classy pearls and pumps kind. While the pearls and pumps thing doesn't fly at OC, the sorority members at our campus are every bit as womanly, talented, and beautiful as PNMs anywhere else in the country.

- that we have no rules, no bylaws, no oversight. Again, we have an alumni council, our panhellenic council, greek life advisor, etc etc etc. We have bylaws for our chapter and for the panhel council. Its not like we're running our own corporation, we've got to play by the university rules or we get canned, because the school holds our charter, and they have the power to make us disappear as it were.

But at the same time, my experience is very different from most local girls- we're an all local campus, so we only get the 3rd degree from outsiders. I love my sisters, and I love the sheer variety of chapters and girls that join sororities at OC because it is maybe more accessable...cheaper dues, smaller houses, very laid back rush, deferred rush (very very deffered!). The ties of the groups to the university make each one quirky, gives them an entwined history. I'll be very sad if the campus ever goes national, not because NPC's aren't great, but because we'd have lost a big part of the Otterbein tradition.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DZOPiccolo
so true! i'm local and we get a LOT of crap for it. The 4 big sororities at my college all think we're freaks for not doing formal rush, for being so small, for not having a house etc.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdphi4life View Post
I don't know how it is at other universities and colleges but I was wondering if being a local sorority was difficult? I am a sister of Zeta Delta Phi, the only local soror on campus. We are still pretty new, founded March 13, 2003. We are not accepted as a "sorority" among the other national sororities on campus. We have to defend our sisterhood everyday, to other sororities on campus or to people that don't think we are a "real" sorority. I was wondering if other locals have the same issues. Thanks much.

Yes those who commonly forget that any organization started as one before it became many I toohave that problem but i suggest that you use that to remember that this is way you are in that oganization for you strived for something unique and different and you will prevail...
Old 09-14-2006, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I last posted we will be moving into our house in May 2007. Zeta Delta Phi is only three years old and for us to have a house is a huge deal. I hope with the house cames some respect for the national sororities on campus and everyone else that thinks we're just a joke. I remind myself day to day that every sorority start somewhere. It's hard walking down the street and having people yell out the window foul slurs about us not being a "real sorority".
Old 09-15-2006, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdphi4life View Post
Since I last posted we will be moving into our house in May 2007. Zeta Delta Phi is only three years old and for us to have a house is a huge deal. I hope with the house cames some respect for the national sororities on campus and everyone else that thinks we're just a joke. I remind myself day to day that every sorority start somewhere. It's hard walking down the street and having people yell out the window foul slurs about us not being a "real sorority".

YES THAT IS A BIG DEAL AND YOU ALL SHOULD BE VERY PROUD I CURRENTLY ATTEND NIU AND MANY OF OUR NATIONAL SORORITIES/FRATS DO NOT HAVE A HOUSE ON GREEK ROW BUT I HOPE THAT YOU ALL REALIZE THAT YOUR BOND IS WHAT MAKES YOU SISTERHOOD NOT YOUR PROPERTY KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK..

Last edited by BlACKROSE; 09-15-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

All national sororities on campus have a house and we are the only local sorority on campus thus far. So just to make myself a bit clearer, we are NOT trying to us our new house as a way to gain respect. We get the same comment often " ohh well you guy don't even have a house, how can you call yourselfs a sorority." ohh yeah and I love how mu omicron mu spells mom. I love it!