GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,123
2 members and 2,121 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 09-10-2007, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Should NPHC Sororities Have A Mandatory Service Requirement in Grad Chapters?

I'm curious to hear sorors opinions on this topic.
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

My idea--disclaimer...

My opinion:

Yes, they should both in undergraduate and graduate chapters. I would do a 2 levels of community service hours for UG and Grad. Because, in UG, they need to be about going to school. In Grad, one makes a personal choice to participate...

For UG, I would make their hours transfer into a Grad chapter.

If they do not do their hours, they have to pay, something either to the local chapter and/or to EAF.

Then I would stop the mandatory service hours for our Sorority at 25 years because that is when one can purchase life membership.

So Silver Stars, Goldens and Diamonds, would not have this requirement served. We can institute a 1X optional fee called "Centennial Life Membership".

There are these "passports" floating around, we can do that. Or, we can have a "International 'VISA/AMEX/Discover/Master' Card" with an automatic debit fee per year for the local chapter and EAF.

Yes, folks get out of serving their hours and may not pay for it. But, if we had an auto-debit, then it is the member's responsibility and credit report, not ours.

And I am not talking pricey... I am only saying something like a minimum of $1+ per hour for 20 hours of service per year for UG; then that upgrades to $10 per hour for 20 hours of service per year for Grads. These hours do not include Chapter or Membership Meetings, Clusters, Regional Conferences, Leadership or Boule--unless those 2 have a service component like they did in NOLA this year. And I mean real work. That money goes into an endowed fund or a chapter 501c3. And we are always willing to take more money.

The projects that count... All from our Targets/Platforms.

My issue, is I am a program platform chair for my graduate chapter, and when I ask for help, I am not joking. But, when the activity is said and done, oh boy, do I hear it about having these activities tacked on with the one just planned, etc. I needed help organizing this thing 4-5 months ago!!! Just plain stupidity. And I am tired of the 80:20 rule. It sucks!! I am not asking there be a full chapter membership at my committee meeting... All I am asking is if the chapter votes and agrees to plan, volunteer and participate in a walk-a-thon, I do not get grief about weather they can do or not.

Disclaimer: These are the ideas of only AKA_Monet. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., my local chapter, and GC may have differing ideas, but I skeeriously doubt it.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 09-10-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you Soror.

I see far too many 'shirt wearers' and not enough folks rolling up their sleeves to help out with projects. As a result, the same people are continously tapped for leadership positions and become burned out.

I think it's really unfair.

In The Junior League and The Links, service hours are a requirement for membership - or you are stripped of membership privileges, period.

My chapter of The Junior League requires all members to either volunteer a 3 hour shift in our thrift shop (which raises money for our community projects) or pay $75. This is in addition to other service requirements.

With The Links, all members are required to record a minimum of 48 service hours in order to maintain active status.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^

Since my idea is a work in progress, I would make all sorors pay community service hours or money for 25 years--period. Once a member becomes 25 years, they pay life membership to the Corporate Office and their community service hours/money to either EAF or the Local Chapter. I reiterate, members before a time period--say within 5 years that have been on the Directorate, were RD's or Chapter Basilei--or even GA's would be exempt from this assessment.

Punitive damages would be inability to be active until all fees are paid... That is constitutional.

I would make prospective candidates to have a minimum mandatory community service hours when they "walk into" a UG Rush or extended an invitation to join for Grad chapter. It is only provable by the "community service" that one does for an official 501c3 corporation. For example, when there is the American Heart Association HeartWalk or the American Cancer Society's Making Strides or 3 Day--yes, they need to be volunteering some kind of way 1 semester for UG and/or 1 year preceding for graduates prior toward becoming a member. That would be provable by a letter from the Executive Director and it would be creative if they added the program that shows the names on the committee for it to be believable. Otherwise, it would be wise if the candidate was working with the chapter of their interest.

I even think that the Honoraries need to be donating to EAF or working on our programs in some way by contract...

I mean, what's the point for me to voting for them or submission of legacy application if they cannot attend 2+ events, especially for graduate membership--and chapters that have mandatory assessments.

I am tired of lame skaters who feel some colors just look good on only them...

Oh, have an MIP, or have a step show--and it is wall to wall... But do Habitat or see the battered women or infirmed--crickets...

Why did they join? That is another thread.

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 09-10-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^You mentioned Habitat. I couldn't lift my arms after Habitat for Humanity this past Saturday....it was soooo funny at chapter meeting when my GA asked me to help carry a box and I couldn't due to bustin' my hump at the Habitat House.

You mentioned crickets also. I don't want to come off like I have been serving in the sorority as long as some others on GC, but the die hards in my chapter are getting worn to bits while others are on constant chill mode. Plus some of the service is fun. I think we should cancel all strut practices until everybody participates.

I am platform IV chair and I better get some more participation.......I really need it.

Sorry for the rant
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
^^You mentioned Habitat. I couldn't lift my arms after Habitat for Humanity this past Saturday....it was soooo funny at chapter meeting when my GA asked me to help carry a box and I couldn't due to bustin' my hump at the Habitat House.

You mentioned crickets also. I don't want to come off like I have been serving in the sorority as long as some others on GC, but the die hards in my chapter are getting worn to bits while others are on constant chill mode. Plus some of the service is fun. I think we should cancel all strut practices until everybody participates.

I am platform IV chair and I better get some more participation.......I really need it.

Sorry for the rant
That's funny about Habitat... Anyhow, you were there. I think what Soror Blacksocialite and I are talking about is GRADS who skate into chapters and not serving an ounce of any Habitat, no matter if they lifted a leaf or not.

I am harsher these days, but as UG punitive damages would be party restrictions or nalia restrictions. We had them when I was an UG. You cannot come to the party wearing all kinds of nalia, struting your stuff, but you cannot come tutor the YMCA girls... The GC NPC sororities on some Thread have more creative ways on dealing with lack of serving their members.

If your grad chapter is close, can you all partner with them to complete your platform 4 with them? Because for my platform 5, I got them internet access to do health websites at my grad chapter's Health Forum. We will not go into what happened, but since I live near Microsoft, it is not hard for us to do.

Sisterly,

Soror AKA_Monet

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
^^^

Since my idea is a work in progress, I would make all sorors pay community service hours or money for 25 years--period. Once a member becomes 25 years, they pay life membership to the Corporate Office and their community service hours/money to either EAF or the Local Chapter. I reiterate, members before a time period--say within 5 years that have been on the Directorate, were RD's or Chapter Basilei--or even GA's would be exempt from this assessment.

Punitive damages would be inability to be active until all fees are paid... That is constitutional.

I would make prospective candidates to have a minimum mandatory community service hours when they "walk into" a UG Rush or extended an invitation to join for Grad chapter. It is only provable by the "community service" that one does for an official 501c3 corporation. For example, when there is the American Heart Association HeartWalk or the American Cancer Society's Making Strides or 3 Day--yes, they need to be volunteering some kind of way 1 semester for UG and/or 1 year preceding for graduates prior toward becoming a member. That would be provable by a letter from the Executive Director and it would be creative if they added the program that shows the names on the committee for it to be believable. Otherwise, it would be wise if the candidate was working with the chapter of their interest.

I even think that the Honoraries need to be donating to EAF or working on our programs in some way by contract...

I mean, what's the point for me to voting for them or submission of legacy application if they cannot attend 2+ events, especially for graduate membership--and chapters that have mandatory assessments.

I am tired of lame skaters who feel some colors just look good on only them...

Oh, have an MIP, or have a step show--and it is wall to wall... But do Habitat or see the battered women or infirmed--crickets...

Why did they join? That is another thread.
Soror, I LOVE your idea and hopefully, you'll bring them to the floor at your Regional Conference for 2008. It's high time that some things change.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep...Yep...and more Yep....
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
"... We're smart, We're cute, We're Fabulous......Heck...even boys want to be like us....."
Love you sig!! I want to jock it but I will wait a while....maybe!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
Love you sig!! I want to jock it but I will wait a while....maybe!
LOL...thanks. Of course you can copy...