GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,131
1 members and 1,130 guests
aradativanovay8

Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

TEMPE NORMAL SCHOOL. *

*waiting for those ASU people to jump me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2013, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My University changed names about two years after I graduated. The alumni were not happy about it and many still aren't. I claimed my alma mater again after we beat Bama a few years ago and Auburn last year (Go Warhawks!) but I will ALWAYS put that I graduated from Northeast Louisiana University (now University of Louisiana-Monroe) on my CV. I did NOT graduate from ULM and will not say that I did.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
TEMPE NORMAL SCHOOL. *

*waiting for those ASU people to jump me.
Ahhhh .. you beat me to it :-)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I have friends who went to Southwest Missouri State University. Apparently, when it made the recent change to Missouri State, they were asked if they wanted a new diploma, but had to pay for it if so. I gather it wasn't exactly cheap, either!

My alma mater changed names immediately before my freshman year. Thus, I applied and was accepted to one school, but actually attended another.

As for the OP, I would just put the new name without reference to the old.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'm in!
I'm stopping by the 2013 football thread next....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
It can vary depending on the school, I think. My mom graduated (in 1947) from the Woman's College of the University of North Carolina, which went co-ed and became the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in 1963 -- 50 years ago. Most people -- at least those from North Carolina and above the age of 30 or so -- still know what school is meant by "W.C.," and I can promise you that most W.C. alumnae never said they were graduates of or had degrees from UNCG. My mother always used the "W.C. (now UNCG)" format if she felt it necessary to use anything other than simply "I went to W.C." We were under very strict instructions that that's how it should be in her obituary (4+ years ago), and that's pretty common for W.C. alumnae.

By contrast, around the same time that W.C. became UNCG, North Carolina State College became North Carolina State University -- NCSU, NC State, or just "State." (Well, after a short stint as UNC at Raleigh. That's also when the University of North Carolina became UNC at Chapel Hill.) Perhaps because the name change for NC State was just "College" to "University," and because it didn't affect the State/NC State nicknames, only old timers and historians remember "State College."

Frankly, if the only thing that has changed for Jen is "College" to "University," I can't imagine how using either name alone would confuse anyone.
This all makes sense. Your mother was obviously proud of her alma mater and the heritage. In that case, it was much more than a name change. Growing up, my neighbor's mom graduated from Southern Seminary, a women's college in Buena Vista, VA. It was definitely of the finishing school variety, but it has since been "bought out" and has changed names a couple of times. We loved looking through her old yearbooks...all the women's nicknames were listed. Most of them were rather boring, shortened versions of their first names, but someone nicknamed "Panama" caught our eye and that became a private joke. We'd call each other "Panama" randomly. We really wondered what the back story was with that name. If his mom knew, she wouldn't tell us.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd play along with that, but with our colonization right around the corner I have to defer my Big 10 competition in favor of Big 10 pride. Give me some time and I'll chime in with the jibes
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
This all makes sense. Your mother was obviously proud of her alma mater and the heritage. In that case, it was much more than a name change.
True -- the name change was symbolic of a more fundamental change in the school.

To be clear, she was always proud to be associated with UNCG, as were most W.C. alumnae I've known. They just wanted to to be clear that they graduated from W.C., not UNCG.

And I love the story about Southern Virginia University (formerly Southern Seminary). I may have to start calling you "Panama."
Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And I love the story about Southern Virginia University (formerly Southern Seminary). I may have to start calling you "Panama."
If you do, you have to use the quotation marks. Air quotes were an integral part of the joke.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think this question was just answered recently over at Ask a Manager. I'd search over there.
Isn't that the most awesome website? I've gotten so much good information from there.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Did you have to ask them to issue you a new diploma? I could swear they mailed a second one to a friend of mine without any special requests.
In their failed attempts to placate angry alumni, they offered a free diploma but you had to request it.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in the last graduating class at Elon College. My diploma says College, but the institution offered University ones to anyone who wanted one. When I write where I went to school I say Elon University bc it's just easier. When I've said college- people would ask if that was a separate institution. But if your in NC (and probably parts of Maryland and Virginia- it's just Elon).

I was also the last of the Fighting Christians. The mascot was changed to the Phoenix when the school joined SoCon.