GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,578
0 members and 2,578 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2006, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

transfer student question--help!

ok heres the deal:
last year i went to furman university and was initiated into one of the top sororities on campus. but this year, for reasons other than sorority, im transferring to emory university as a sophmore, and they dont have a chapter of my sorority. today i called national panhellinic, and the girl i talked to said that i could disaffiliate and rush a different sorority. but then when i called my sorority's national office and emory's greek director, both said that i couldnt bc of a national panhellinic rule. so basically im really confused. i really want to be able to have the sorority experience at my new school! has anyone ever been in/heard of a similar situation? any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2006, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

If you initiated into an NPC sorority, no, you may not join another NPC sorority.

You say you called "National Panhellenic." Did you call the office HQ in IL or did you talk to a student at Emory's Panhellenic Council? Either way, it is a moot point-- your national HQ and the Greek Director are correct.

You can't join another NPC sorority, but you should certainly get involved with your sorority's alumnae association in ATL and involve yourself in campus activities.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:32 PM

It is also possible that you may be able to do a little something with Greek life at Emory. I had the same situation (transferred to a school with no chapter) and I was able to help during recruitment with bid matching, errand running, phone calls. It made me feel like I was part of it. Some schools (not mine) also allow students like yourselves to be Pi Chis in some circumstances, I have heard.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

UNC used to have 'Stray Greeks' organization for Greeks who had transferred and their chapter wasn't here. Maybe you could consider starting a program like that, or even researching the idea of starting a colony at Emory.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
If you initiated into your sorority at Furman, and it is an NPC sorority, then no, you are not eligible for membership in another NPC sorority.

Atlanta is huge and there are often several alumnae chapters for a single sorority - please contact your HQ again and ask them for the alumnae chapter contacts for Atlanta and get involved that way and through the Atlanta Area Alumnae Panhellenic.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.