GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,249
2 members and 1,247 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
NPC Quota, Release Figures and Quota Additions

How Quota is set

There are a couple different methods in the NPC book. Now, these are NPC recommendations but it's not a RULE or LAW that these methods have to be used.

#1: Quota shall equal the number of women accepting at least one invitation to the first or second round of invitational events divided by the number of chapters. For example:

Registered PNM 350
Accepting first invitational event 300
Number of NPC groups 6
300 div 6 - 50 quota
Accepting second invitational 279
270 div 6 = 45

#2 (This method is used when there are at least 3 invitational rounds including preference.)

Quota equals the number of women registering and attending the first membership recruitment function, multiplied by the average percent of women pledged during he last three years divided by the number of chapters.

Registered PNM 350
Number of NPC groups 6
Average % of women pledged last 3 years 72%
(1987 - 70%, 1988 - 74%, 1989 - 72%)
Number attending the membership recruitment function 325
325 x 72% = 234
234 div 6 = 39 quota.

Release Figures

NPC endorses a formula which College Panhellenics may use in recommending the number of invitations a fraternity chapter should issue to insure their own membership recruiting success as well as to provide an opportunity to pledge the greatest number of women.

Each fraternity may invite back Quota times the number of events in each event round, divided by its own average percentage of return for the last three years of formal membershp recruitment.

Formula:
First invitational
Events - 5
NPC Groups - 6
Women accepting - 203
Quota - 34
Percentage returns 95%

Quota x number of events divided by %return = number to invite
34x5 = 170 div by each groups' % return
34x5 = 170 div .95 = 179 to be invited back

Quota Additions

NPC continues to recommend that bids be matched to Quota only. It is recognized, however, that unusual campus conditions may indicate that some women whose bids fail to match in the normal bid matching process may be placed even if this puts a chapter over Quota.

Because most unmatched bids are a direct result of a chapter issuing more inivitations to preference events than it has a reasonable expectation to offer bids, Panhellenics using Quota Additions must encourage collegiate chapters to carefully observe the recommended release numbers.

The following procedures should be followed if women whose bids did not match in the normal course of bid matching must be placed in fraternity chapters that have already reached Quota.

1. No College Panhellenic may adopt this Quota Addtions procedure unless there is compliance with the College Panhellenics Committee's recommendation for release figures. These release figures are based on a three year statistical study as described on pages 85 and 86 of the Manual of Information.

2. The woman will be matched to the fraternity chapter she has listed on her Membership Recruitment Acceptance which is the smallest in chapter size, as long as her name appears on that chapter's preferential bid list, and that by matching her there that group does not exceed Quota by more than 5%.

3. This procedure shall never include a woman who lists an intentional single preference on her preference Membership Recruitment Acceptance or one who as failed to accept or attend any membership recruitment event for which there was room in her membership recruitment schedule.

4. No group may exceed quota by more than 5% of Quota. If 5% is a fractional number, the number shall be rounded up to the next whole number.

5. Quota Additions do not raise or increase the number of Quota and this process is only used during the bid-matching process itself. Quota Additions do not create Quota vacancies under any circumstances. Quota Additions are never involved in Continous Open Bidding.

Example: Quota is 50

Alpha Chapter - 75 members, pledged 50
5% addtion - 3
Total size: 128

Beta Chapter - 80 members, pledged 50
Total size: 130

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Question confused

i remember after rush this year when everyone was talking about who made quota etc. we were told we made quota and had the biggest pledge class (42 girls). my roommate was telling me that her sorority (kkg) had also made quota and they took in 38 new members, while alpha phi had also "made quota" with 40 new pledges - is this REALLY confusing to anyone else?! is it possible for every chapter to have a differnt quota? i remember hearing that gamma phi was allowed to take in the most new members because we are the biggest sorority on campus - but this just DOES NOT make sense to me?! that would make it seem like they are trying to keep the chapters at certain sizes and potentially inhibiting their ability to grow? if you can offer any kind of explaination i would b ever so grateful!
xoxo
chantillylace
Old 08-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quota is the same for all chapters. It could be that:

a) chapters were allowed to take Quota Additions

or

b) the chapter was under campus total and extended additional bids right after formal recruitment to to reach total, thereby enlarging the pledge class

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-23-2002, 06:44 PM

I'm a little confused about quota additions. Please correct any missteps that I may make...

Let's say you have 3 sororities. 60 women attend preference parties. That means quota is 60 / 3 = 20.

Before recruitment started, sorority A had 75 sisters, B had 60, and C had 45.

Now let's say that sororities A and B each make quota, while sorority C only matches with 15 women. That means 5 women are bidless after "normal" bid matching. Let's assume that each of these 5 women listed A and B on her pref card, in some order - no intentional single preferences.

Sororities A and B are now allowed to accept quota additions. 5% of 20 is 1, so each sorority may bid 1 more PNM. One woman will be matched to B (since it's smaller), then one woman will be matched to A.

So, what determines which of the 5 goes to B, which goes to A, and which three go bidless? Does B get whichever of the 5 was ranked highest on B's second bid list, then A gets whichever of the 4 remaining women was ranked highest on their list?

Is it then possible that you could have a PNM who loved B but matched to A during "normal" bid matching, while a PNM who loved A got matched to B as a quota addition?

Should I maybe try to figure out something easier instead, like quantum physics??
Old 08-23-2002, 09:05 PM

Red face

If I'm understanding correctly. In AEPhiAlum's example, Sorority B would get and additional girl. Sorority A would only get quota. Sorority C would only have the 15. Four girls would go bidless.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum

So, what determines which of the 5 goes to B, which goes to A, and which three go bidless? Does B get whichever of the 5 was ranked highest on B's second bid list, then A gets whichever of the 4 remaining women was ranked highest on their list?
Out of the five women, they would be divided into two piles: Those who ranked A as #1, and those who ranked B as #1. Out of the ones who ranked A #1, they would get whomever was highest on their bid list, and the same would happen for B.

As in normal matching, the PNM's preference takes priority over the sorority's preference.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Out of the five women, they would be divided into two piles: Those who ranked A as #1, and those who ranked B as #1. Out of the ones who ranked A #1, they would get whomever was highest on their bid list, and the same would happen for B.

As in normal matching, the PNM's preference takes priority over the sorority's preference.
That kind of makes sense... but does that then mean that someone lower on, say, A's bid list could get matched to A, while someone higher on A's list could get matched to B even if she listed A first?

To build on my previous example: Susie and Jenny each attend pref parties at sororities A and B. Each of them lists A, then B, on her pref card. Susie is, say, #16 on both A's and B's second bid lists; Jenny is #17 on both groups' second bid lists.

During "normal" bid matching, A makes quota before getting to Susie. Her second choice, B, is used, and she becomes the twentieth and last person to match to B. Jenny is bidless because both of her choices are full to quota.

Following what DeltaBetaBaby said, Jenny would be matched to A because she is the highest-ranked person on A's bid list who ranked A first and didn't match via "normal" bid matching, even though she is lower on A's list than Susie was.

Am I understanding this correctly? Or am I just overanalyzing this?
Old 08-25-2002, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

You are correct, AA. The computer matching does its thing, then additions are done later by hand. That is why it is done, instead of just upping quota.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

So my question is, if all houses on campus hit quota of 35- 40 except one, and that one house only had 17 on their bid list, and then of those 17, 8 choose to go to that house....how is that fair when all 3 pref parties are full? It throws the system so out of whack that of the 7 houses on the campus I advise, 6 of them are at 60+ members (with ceiling at 60) and one house is at 26.

Just wondering....seen it happen 2 years in a row on my campus.
I think it gets crazy sometimes.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

This is more confusing than advanced alegbra
Old 08-28-2002, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII_LB93
So my question is, if all houses on campus hit quota of 35- 40 except one, and that one house only had 17 on their bid list, and then of those 17, 8 choose to go to that house....how is that fair when all 3 pref parties are full? It throws the system so out of whack that of the 7 houses on the campus I advise, 6 of them are at 60+ members (with ceiling at 60) and one house is at 26.

Just wondering....seen it happen 2 years in a row on my campus.
I think it gets crazy sometimes.
I don't understand what you mean. If a chapter has 3 full pref parties, and quota is 35, they should have at least 105 women on their bid list.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
I don't understand what you mean. If a chapter has 3 full pref parties, and quota is 35, they should have at least 105 women on their bid list.
Yes, but that still doesn't mean they'll make quota. The chapter has, say, 105 women at their pref parties. Out of that 105, 17 match to them. The remaining 88 could either (a) match to other sororities, (b) suicide another sorority and not receive a bid, or (c) have decided not to sign their pref cards. So just because you have full pref parties doesn't mean you'll make, or even get near, quota.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Precisely what I mean AEPhi....and as far as I know, suiciding is being discouraged on my campus, which I personally disagree with, because if you feel that strongly that you wouldn't even consider another house, then you should suicide and not give other houses "false hopes."

Last edited by AOII_LB93; 01-19-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

If you will pardon me saying, I never understood a word of this thread so far!

I feel that the rules are BS as at my School, there are 3 Soroitys and will not lat another one on! The Soroitys are not up to figures or what ever!

Heck, this is a School of 6,500 + and there are not enuff girls to join!

What Crapola!

Maybe those who want to join want to join a Soroity of a different nature or name?

When there are 3 out of how many ( 29 ) PHC that maybe not all want to join one of the three!?

Live or die by what you do to get membership! The Fraternitys do! We have been on the down and outs, but this Sem. we are really looking up!

This National NPC is holding back the advancement of Soroitys! Do something about it!

Now back to regular programing!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-01-2002, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Unhappy

My head hurt, I feel like I'm reading game theory.