GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,239
0 members and 1,239 guests
No Members online

Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Pepsi Refresh Grants

As I'm sure most of you know, Pepsi decided to forego Super Bowl ads this year and is donating significant amounts of money to charities instead. They are providing grants for the top vote getting charities in different categories (based on the amount of the grant). One of my sorority sisters started the Detroit Area Diaper Bank last year to provide diapers to those in need in the metro Detroit area, including women's shelters, homeless shelter's, etc. She's in the top 10 right now and it would be great to see her stay there! $5000 would buy a lot of diapers! She's a Nittany Lion Alpha Gam who is now in Detroit. Please click and support the Detroit Area Diaper Bank!

http://www.refresheverything.com/detroitareadiaperbank

Thanks in advance! Feel free to post the charities you are familiar with who are competing for these grants too!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I voted for yours!

As I reported in the APO forum, my undergrad chapter is in the running for $25,000 to start a Boy Scout Troop and a Girl Scout Troop for DC youth -- what they did NOT say on their page (too modest) is that they are developing a partnership with a school for moderate to severely learning disabled children to host the two troops. So not only will they be assisting inner city youth who wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to scouting, but youth who have special needs. They humble me.

Here is the link: http://www.refresheverything.com/mualpha
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks and got it As a mom of a Boy Scout and a Girl Scout, how could I not support that one?? Scouting is great for kids.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

i just voted for both these wonderful ideas. diapers currently in 5th, gsa/bsa idea in 2nd!!!

come on GC, let's vote these two ideas in!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm kinda annoyed by this Pepsi campaign, because the organization Do Something has been doing this for years. This is what they do! Pepsi should have partnered with the organization instead of stealing its idea.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Voted.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-23-2010, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

The children's hospital affiliated with my med school has been advocating Reach Out and Read. It's very similar to Kappa's philanthropy, Reading is Fundamental, and it looks like a great cause.

http://www.refresheverything.com/ReachOutandRead
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Voted, Kappamd! Along with the others in this thread again (you can vote for each project once a day)
Old 02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I'm kinda annoyed by this Pepsi campaign, because the organization Do Something has been doing this for years. This is what they do! Pepsi should have partnered with the organization instead of stealing its idea.
Tis true - I guess Pepsi didnt think Do Something could offer them much more exposure...

My organization, Jumpstart, is also getting in on the Pepsi action, but not until next month. I'll post the link when i have it. and you will vote because you <3 me.

P.S. I voted for Reach Out and Read as they are in the same line of work, ill be sure to go support the other links in this thread.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Not to hijack the thread, (I voted!), but Pepsi is actually one of Do Something's big corporate sponsors.

They didn't steal the idea - tons of corporations do it. What's wrong w/ a corporation tossing some money to great ideas that benefit the community? Coke does the same thing, but I don't think they advertised it as much. Besides, Do Something is geared towards teens. The Pepsi/Coke/Insert Other Corporations Here programs are open to ideas by all ages... and they typically award cash prizes to fund the ideas in amounts greater than $250-$500 (DoSomething's amount)
Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it would be great if EVERY company did this. I can't put anybody down for giving money to charity. The more that do it, the more charities that benefit, IMHO.

Voted for all in this thread again!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

My cousin is now trying for a Pepsi Refresh grant for a software tool to distribute to tweens and teens to teach healthy nutrition habits. Please vote! She's #23 right now and the top 10 get the grant..

http://www.refresheverything.com/hea...snutritiontool
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I voted!

And if people didn't see the update previously, my APO chapter was one of the winners during month #1.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I voted for yours!

As I reported in the APO forum, my undergrad chapter is in the running for $25,000 to start a Boy Scout Troop and a Girl Scout Troop for DC youth -- what they did NOT say on their page (too modest) is that they are developing a partnership with a school for moderate to severely learning disabled children to host the two troops. So not only will they be assisting inner city youth who wouldn't ordinarily be exposed to scouting, but youth who have special needs. They humble me.

Here is the link: http://www.refresheverything.com/mualpha
These are ALL good ideas, but I absolutely love this one.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
One of the organizations that I know a lot about (CANTER USA, rescues off the track horses) participated last month. They didn't win anything unfortunately but I think this is a great idea!