GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,262
0 members and 2,262 guests
No Members online

Old 11-03-2000, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Oooh ooh! I am!
Don't discount the French Quarter just because of Burbon street! During the day, its a lot of fun - there are antique shops, restaurants and street musicians. There are also some wonderful walking tours of the Quarter (I can't think of any names offhand though). The drinking part doesn't really come out until night - families are all over the Quarter in the daytime. Also, there is the French Market (that sells produce) and the Flea market (located right behind the French Market)- lots of fun as well.

Some restaurant suggestions (in all price ranges):

Masperos, located on either Decatur or St. Peter's in the FQ is awesome. They have sandwiches and seafood. The price range is about $10 a person (I'm guessing )

Central Grocery, home of the Muffeleta, also located in the FQ. An little italian deli, that sells mufeletta sandwiches, for about $7 each. However, the sandwiches are HUGE.

Commander's Palace - pretty pricey, but *great* food - one of NOLA's top restaurants. They used to have weekday lunch specials that had an entree, salad, drink and dessert for $13/person - an extreme bargain - nighttime prices are way high there.

Camelia Grill, located in Uptown, is an old hamburger place that has great milkshakes and cheeseburgers - about $5/burger.

Brennan's, located in the Quarter, is another NOLA tradition. Its where Bananna's Foster was invented. Very pricey.

Antoine's, also in the FQ - another pricey place, but its an old, traditional French restaurant.

wow, this is getting long...email me if you have any further questions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-03-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I think AKA2D '91 cn help you out on this also.
Old 11-03-2000, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA:
I think AKA2D '91 can help you out with this also.
Old 11-04-2000, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Post New Orleans

Anyone here from The Big Easy?? I will be tagging along with my husband on a business trip to New Orleans next week. Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting things to do/see or good jazz clubs/resturants? We're not into the whole Bourbon Street/drinking crowd some something a little more subdued please! LOL We're also into African American history so if you know of any great tours, etc I'd love to hear about them! Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-07-2000, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I'm from New Orleans, too.

Check out the music while you are here. Try the House of Blues or Tipatina's. I agree with the comment not to skip the Quarter. Its where the history is. They have voodoo museums, etc. which are more commercial than museum. Go to the Cabildo, Jackson Square, Royal St and Chartes. Be sure to ride the streetcar down St. Charles Ave.

My favorite place to eat is Commanders Palace for dinner and Brennan's for breakfast. If ya want a typical New Orleans eating experience have a Po-Boy at Mother's on Poydras St.

------------------
"It's a long long road, it's a big big world, we are wise wise women, we are giggling girls." ~Ani DiFranco~
Old 11-13-2000, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to juniorgrrl & trish for their suggestions!! We had a wonderful time in New Orleans, although I froze my buns off!! I was there 4 years ago over Thanksgiving and it was about 80 degrees!!

Unfortunately did not get to see the French Quarter by day. While my hubby was in meetings I stayed in the room and studied like a good little girl! We were on Canal Street so we were kinda in the middle of things without being in the craziness of FQ. We ate at a couple of decent resturants (unfortunately none that you mentioned. My husband refused to eat at Mother's--even though the line was long. He's a little persnickity when it comes to resturants! ), went to 2 jazz clubs (one of which was Preservation Hall--an experience to say the least!) and spent all day Saturday at the D-Day Museum. Not my cup of tea, but my husband was in hog heaven! Oh! We did ride the street car!

Thanks again!
Old 11-13-2000, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

hehe, that's the *wonderful* thing about Louisiana weather - if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes. For example: Wednesday, I wore shorts to class. Thursday, I wore a sweater and jeans.

I'm glad you had a good time in NOLA - I love the city - there's no place like it on earth. Honestly, Baton Rouge is too far away for me!
Old 11-13-2000, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Even though I'm not from here I know live here and I have been coming down here all my life..My favorite place to eat is Joe's Crab Shack..and my favorite place is: The french Market, French Quartors, and of coarse CANAL AND BOURBON STREET.
Old 11-13-2000, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember going to New Orleans when i was on drill team. We went right after Mardi Gras so i remember some girls shaking the trees to get some beads down. We did go to the French Quarter during the day. For breakfast once we had- oh i forget, its some type of pastry with powdered sugar and had hot coffee with it. I cant recall the name but it was very good. Of course since this was in high school and went as a school organization, we didnt experience any of the night life, except going out to dinner. I remember one night going to Margaritaville, and we got to sit upstairs, and we had a great time. My mom was a chapparone- and she had a great time as well!! New Orleans is a great place, and i got to see more of it from the Real World- i dont remember going to Magazine Street, but im sure i would have loved it!!
Old 11-14-2000, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bucutie02:
For breakfast once we had- oh i forget, its some type of pastry with powdered sugar and had hot coffee with it.

Ah, beigniets (ben-YAYs) and cafe au lait. More than likely from Cafe du Monde. Yum. Oddly enough, to the locals, that's not really a breakfast thing - we go to Cafe du Monde at all hours of the day/night. For example, y family used to go at night, before the Christmas carroling in Jackson Square.
Quote:

I cant recall the name but it was very good. Of course since this was in high school and went as a school organization, we didnt experience any of the night life, except going out to dinner. I remember one night going to Margaritaville, and we got to sit upstairs, and we had a great time. My mom was a chapparone- and she had a great time as well!! New Orleans is a great place, and i got to see more of it from the Real World- i dont remember going to Magazine Street, but im sure i would have loved it!!

Oooh! Margaritaville! I'm a *HUGE* Buffett fan, and I've had M'ville in my backyard all this time, but the first time I went was just last week. Its *such* a cool place. Last year, Jimmy played it to a *tiny* crowd in a launch party for the Margaritaville Tequilla. Had it not been the Friday before finals, and raining, I would have been waiting, trying to get in. Oh well...

[This message has been edited by juniorgrrl (edited November 14, 2000).]
Old 11-14-2000, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Juniorgrrl, you are exactly right, that is what they are called. How easily i forget. I do believe you on how people have that during all hours of the day and night, we just happened to be there in the morning and decided to have breakfast there. It was very cold and there was a huge line, but it was worth it, they are yummy to my tummy !!
Margaritaville was loads of fun, i wish i could go there again- although when i was there i remember that i was sick and so i couldnt really taste anything i was eating. I think i had ordered some type of club sandwich with a special sauce to it but was really bummed I could actually "taste" it!! Oh well i guess.... next time! Thanks for reminding me of those beigniets. Have an awesome day everyone!