GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,390
0 members and 1,390 guests
No Members online

Old 06-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

Eat the Cake, Tina, the Cake is Good!!

Chef to diners: Clean your plate or be banned!

Australian eatery owner also levies extra charges on wasteful patrons

SYDNEY — An Australian restaurateur fed up with the waste left by diners has ordered her customers to eat everything on their plates or pay a penalty and be banned from her eatery.

Chef Yukako Ichikawa has introduced a 30 percent discount for diners who eat all the food they have ordered at Wafu, her 30-seat restaurant in the Sydney suburb of Surry Hills, that describes itself as "guilty free Japanese cuisine."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37507696...fic/?GT1=43001

While this makes sense in terms of costs, I foresee her losing more than she gains with this one. If anything, they should automatically box leftovers for customers.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

This is common at a lot of the sushi places i've been to. I've seen as high as 18% gratuity charge if you dont finish all the pieces on your plate. Especially if it is an all-you-can-eat place.

Don't know if i 100% agree with it, because it's my food, i paid for it. But hey, the product is expensive, and i suppose if the restaurant can save the food that is wasted from being served in the first place, more $ for them.

30% is definitely too high though.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep picturing waiters saying, "Good boy, you finished everything!"
Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

More power to her, I guess.

But, like tld221 said, it's my food that I paid for -- I'll eat what I want. She'll likely end up losing business.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's not an all-you-can-eat place, they should automatically box. I never eat all of what's on my place but always ask for a box for my leftovers because it makes all my coworkers jealous the next day.

If it's all-you-can-eat, an automatic tax and a big old GTFO is appropriate, IMO.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM

There was a Chinese buffet in the news a few years ago who banned a family for frequently not finishing everything. I think they and the restaurant referenced in the OP are completely in the right.

One of the sushi places here has an all you can eat night, but apparently you have to finish a giant bowl of rice first.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

We've had people kicked out of our Chinese buffet too... for sitting there for up to 7 hours and eating nothing but crab legs. They would just wait for fresh crablegs to come out, then they would take all of them. Assholes.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
We've had people kicked out of our Chinese buffet too... for sitting there for up to 7 hours and eating nothing but crab legs. They would just wait for fresh crablegs to come out, then they would take all of them. Assholes.
LMAO that so sounds like something my extended family would do.

Actually they DID do that. We (my immediate family) don't deal with that side of the family anymore.

And most buffets have time limits if it gets really out of hand - usually 2 hours.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

On "Eye for an Eye," this huge Black woman is a "competitive eater." I assume that means she eats in competitions and isn't just competing for fat. She's suing the owner of this Chinese buffet. She was eating all of the "all you can eat" at his $4.99 "all you can eat" buffet. She claims that he got angry that she wouldn't leave after 5 hours so he put a laxative in her wonton soup.

He said "this fat woman come in eat up all my food." LOL.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
On "Eye for an Eye," this huge Black woman is a "competitive eater." I assume that means she eats in competitions and isn't just competing for fat. She's suing the owner of this Chinese buffet. She was eating all of the "all you can eat" at his $4.99 "all you can eat" buffet. She claims that he got angry that she wouldn't leave after 5 hours so he put a laxative in her wonton soup.

yeah, lol. At what he said and what he did.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

sounds like my brother. he was, ummmmm "scolded" at a Chinese restaurant for being there too long. My bro is one of those who takes his time eating and will go for 2nd and 3rd after a while.

The owner came up to him and was like "you been here 4 howas...you leave now!" We still laugh about it.

Last edited by epchick; 06-09-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question... Is this restaurant all-you-can-eat? Because I'm not seeing anything that says so. If not, then I paid for my meal (according to the prices the restaurant deemed was both profitable and fair), and if I don't eat it all.. oh well! I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've completely finished a meal while out to eat. I simply can't eat a lot in one sitting. However, I'll take half of my meal to go and feel like eating it again 10 minutes after I get home!

For restaurants that ARE all-you-can-eat, there should definitely be a time limit.

There's an all-you-can-eat restaurant in Rhode Island called The Nordic Lodge. It's $80 (including tax, tip and non-alcoholic beverages), and there are lower prices for kids. The menu includes everything from lobster, to filet mignon, to king crab legs, to prime rib... and everything you can think of in between. It's actually a really good price considering all of the things you can choose from. And I'm sure they make a lot of money off of some people, and lose a lot on others.

I was listening to talk radio one day, and on this show, The Phantom Gourmet, they had the owner of the Nordic Lodge talking about the restaurant. He was mentioning all these ways that people would try to get around paying the $80... and laughing about it. The restaurant has a 2 hour time limit, and he was saying how people would go in at lunch time and eat a meal, then come back at dinner and expect to eat again without paying a second time.

Apparently he even had one person say, "But earlier, I was only here for an hour... I paid for two!"

@~/~~~~
Old 06-09-2010, 05:12 PM

I'm just tryna help, Ike!

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I hate all-you-can-eat.
You and me both!
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I'm just tryna help, Ike!
You trying to help Ike? Ike don't need no help!