GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,226
1 members and 1,225 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you/Did you sell back textbooks in your major?

When I came to college, I told myself I wanted to keep textbooks in my major for future reference and because I love my major so much they will be fun to read. However, these are also the more expensive books, and worth more to sell back. This semester, if I sell back all my books I will get a little under $50. My Child Development book alone is worth $88 dollars if I sell on amazon. I need the cash but I will be working full time. I can't decide if I should keep these text books or not, especially seeing as psychology is one of those subjects where these texts are getting updated and revised almost yearly with new information. What do you think? Did you keep text books in your major, and was it worth it? Or should I sell it back?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Initially, I didn't sell textbooks pertaining to my major. I kept them thinking that I would, most certainly, use them. But, about 3 years after graduating I realized I hadn't cracked a single one of them, so I quickly put them on ebay.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Sell them. They take up space and quickly become obsolete as more current books take their place. If you need reference materials in the future, your employer can order them for you.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I not only didn't hold onto my books, by the time I was graduating I would figure out how many pages of the book the professor actually wanted us to read and made photocopies if it was more cost-effective. I got so annoyed at professors having me buy entire books to read one chapter. I could spend $5 or $10 in photocopies and be miles ahead of buying even the cheapest of used books. It took some quality time in front of the copy machine in the library, but it was worth it!

I'd be scanning the various e-book sources as well for any alternatives to those ridiculously overpriced books. But that wasn't an option for me in the 80's.

And ADPiUCF is exactly right. Unless it's a Shakespeare text or the Human Anatomy book that every pre-med major has to have, I wouldn't keep any reference books. They all change too much to worry about.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My situation is probably not typical, since I'm pursuing academia, but I did end up borrowing and returning/reselling several textbooks that, now, I kind of wish I'd kept. Granted, the types of books I'm talking about (music) are not updated nearly as often (or given updates with as much critical information) as yours are. If you think your current editions will be outdated in a couple years, it's probably best to sell them now while they still have some resale value (which will tank once a new edition comes out) and spring for the newer editions if/when you need them.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I also felt that I would be keeping my textbooks from grad school, but after I graduated I realized that I would probably never look at them and so decided to sell them. I wish I had sold them soon, as the constant new editions lead to my book losing a lot of value. Amazon usually gives the best prices for selling your books back, but keep in mind that they often reimburse in the form of gift cards and not cash.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I not only didn't hold onto my books, by the time I was graduating I would figure out how many pages of the book the professor actually wanted us to read and made photocopies if it was more cost-effective. I got so annoyed at professors having me buy entire books to read one chapter. I could spend $5 or $10 in photocopies and be miles ahead of buying even the cheapest of used books. It took some quality time in front of the copy machine in the library, but it was worth it!

I'd be scanning the various e-book sources as well for any alternatives to those ridiculously overpriced books. But that wasn't an option for me in the 80's.

And ADPiUCF is exactly right. Unless it's a Shakespeare text or the Human Anatomy book that every pre-med major has to have, I wouldn't keep any reference books. They all change too much to worry about.

Also, borrowing from the library.

If you have a school FB group, or anything try posting on there. One of my colleges is small (around 3K) and people post the books they are trying to sell. Its a better deal than the bookstore. I'd suggest never selling back to the campus bookstore. They tend to be a rip off just about everywhere.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The campus bookstore is the biggest rip off on this campus. There are rep's for a company called Belltower Books walking around, and the one rep offered me $1 for a book the bookstore is offering $10 for, so I am skipping that route. Last semester I sold all my books back on Amazon and had no problems, and I like that I can set my own price based on the condition of the book. I bought this book on amazon from a private seller who listed it in "like-new" condition and the spine isn't even fully cracked open because i never once used this book for class this semester. I will probably end up selling it. Thanks everyone!!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Also, borrowing from the library.
Yeah, I did plenty of that too.

Now, if I could only get my husband to get rid of his books that he keeps for "reference." You know, because it's important to have a full personally library of books about the Knights Templar, religious conspiracy and comparative religion.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
I kept 1 engineering book. I sold all the other ones back. I didn't want to be reminded of the torture I put myself through. I sold my books from my graduate studies on half.com. I would sell the books but not to the bookstore. Either post them for sale on the student boards or on Amazon or Half.com

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now, if I could only get my husband to get rid of his books that he keeps for "reference." You know, because it's important to have a full personally library of books about the Knights Templar, religious conspiracy and comparative religion.
Yeah, we have a box of econ textbooks. Lord knows why...

One of the women in the local alumnae chapter made a pretty flower like design with one of her most hated textbooks. She curled the pages into cones of various lengths and hot glued (I think) them into a flower idea. It's hanging on her wall and is really cool.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

OMG! I think my husband must be your husband's brother. I have begged him to throw away his journalism and broadcast texts that haven't at all become irrelevant since he graduated. In 1993.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I did plenty of that too.

My husband graduated from college 25 years ago and it's only within the past five years that I wrestled his engineering textbooks from his cold, dead fingers (a slight exaggeration, but it makes better reading ). The damn things must have weighed 50 pounds all told and we dragged them all up and down the eastern seaboard with us while he was in the Navy. Finally, I said ENOUGH! If KillarneyBud2 wants to major in engineering, we'll buy her her own damn textbooks!
Old 04-30-2013, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I held on to maybe two or three college textbooks (none of which were in my major) and maybe one or two books from law school. All of the others were sold.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Yeah, we have a box of econ textbooks. Lord knows why...

One of the women in the local alumnae chapter made a pretty flower like design with one of her most hated textbooks. She curled the pages into cones of various lengths and hot glued (I think) them into a flower idea. It's hanging on her wall and is really cool.
That sounds cool! One of my english text books isn't even worth anything online. There must be a new edition being released or something. It's worth like $5 online, and my college bookstore isn't buying it back.

I actually work 7 hours a week in the library so I could use the textbooks on reserve in there, but not every professor has the textbooks on reserve. That's what I did this semester with my Western Humanities books though and it worked perfectly. I'm kinda done buying books, it's such a waste for most professors haha.